Van Cliburn - Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No.1 SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Circular Vibes

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
Does any one have this disc? I have just played it for the first time and am stunned at the clarity and fidelity compared to playing it on mono or stereo LP or quad 8-track. But I have a question to those who have it. Is there strange sub-harmonics in the recording? I started hearing strange sounds like the rumble you hear just before an 8-track changes tracks. It started around 17 minutes in, and then I heard other sounds like someone rolling a cart upstairs. Otherwise I love this disc and will retire at least the LP, except for reference, perhaps. I can't complain much as it was about $7US plus shipping, and I have had worse sounding media for more money. I am hoping it is that they transferred the original tape with no alterations rather than adding to it to cause these noises.

I also hope I posted this in the right forum. I know it is a three channel disc and thought it would not be appropriate in the multi-channel threads. If it is in the wrong place, please feel free to move it.

Interesting. I played it tonight. It's late here, so I couldn't turn up the volume very much. Anyway, I heard some of the sub-harmonic sounds you mentioned around 17 minutes in. It's during the Cadenza section when the piano plays quietly alone, right? At my volume setting, the strange sound was fairly short. When a bouts do you hear someone rolling a cart upstairs? I will listen again tomorrow when I can turn up the volume.

This SACD remastering is from the original master tapes, so I would assume these "extra" sounds are on the tapes. And this particular Shady Dog is not one of the better RCA recordings to begin with as the recording sessions were hastily arranged. Even so, I am also impressed with the sound quality of such an old recording.

Thanks Lute. I was listening for noises from 17 minutes onward. I will have to listen again and make better notes. This is the first time I have ever reversed an SACD to re hear a sound I thought I didn't hear. I have to admit that the surface noise of any pressing of the LP that I have ever owned was too painful to crank as loud as the SACD. It still sounds great, especially for the age of the tapes, but the hi-def format and modern equipment sure reveals a lot. If my memory is close to right, the rolling cart sounds were in track two. I will listen again when my partner is at work. This is the only way I can play this disc and we can both be happy.:yikes as to the shady dogs, I only recently acquired one, as Canadian pressings were on a plum coloured label, then the bright red dog label. I don't know if there is a big difference to me, I just get lost in the music as long as there is no audible damage or wear.

I'm currently listening to this lovely disc and I though that I would indeed provide the images for it and a few comments of my own.

I have been listening to music recorded in the 50's for over thirty years now and the sound that was created in that era is legendary. I love it as it is. It is not supposed to sound like something was recorded today. Each decade has its unique sound and I have always loved the sound of albums from the 50's, 60's and 70's. More efforts have been made by record companies to capture Classical Music and this allows us today to enjoy music that is over sixty years old and still sounds amazing. As for the music itself, I love these two concertos and I enjoy these Van Cliburn versions very much.

As for the rumble you mention, may I suggest this wild speculation? In some of the customer comments for Leonard Bernstein's legendary recording of Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue, some suggest that the low rumble heard in the recording could be produced by the New York Subway. Should this be a plausible explanation, could it also be the case in these Van Cliburn recording as well? They were also recorded in New York City.

For anyone who enjoys Classical Music from time to time, I invite you to acquire this disc, which is still rather affordable at around $10. This RCA SACD series was well executed and there are many titles to choose from.

Back