Paul McCartney's "Tug of War" (Remixed in 2015, but not in surround…)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Well this is peculiar…

http://kingsroadmerch.com/Paul-McCartney/view/?id=7988&cid=1845

– Newly remixed using the original analogue multi-track tapes and mastered at Abbey Road Studios in London

"Say Say Say" has also been remixed for the upcoming "Pipes of Peace" deluxe edition, but the main disc just contains a new remaster of the original 1983 mix.

So they created an entire new stereo mix for "Tug of War" without also doing a surround mix?! :mad:
This, after both of the deluxe editions of "Band on the Run" and "Venus & Mars" failed to have the Quad mixes included.
AND there's already some stellar surround mixes of the "Tug of War" and "Pipes of Peace" material in the "McCartney Years" DVD set.

This is almost as bad as when Yoko had all of John Lennon's albums remixed for new stereo CD releases, while only some songs were mixed in surround for the "Lennon Legend" DVD compilation, especially since surround mixes could have been released back when there was at least some commercial market for DVD-A and SACD!

It's all so baffling… :(

The bonus content for Pipes of Peace is disappointing - doesn't include the remixes from the time, only one mix of Koala Bear too.

Tug Of War was mixed digitally originally, so presumably they are remixing from the analogue multi-tracks to keep the resolution as high as possible - the digital tech in the early 80s not matching today's standards. I assume Say Say Say for the same reason. I agree, though, if they're going to all that effort, it's a shame not to do a bit more and make some surround mixes.

I read about this in the email newsletter from SDE, sadly can't find the story on the webpage but wanted to give credit where due. http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/category/news/

PS. If any QQ readers haven't heard of SDE before, you might hate me for introducing you :D - it has some great info but tempts you with so many deluxe box sets!

I've bought all the previous Macca super deluxe editions. I'm a mega Macca fan, but these are all a CASH GRAB!!

You're right about the cash grab part, but I have to say, no other Beatle (or Beatle widow) has put that much attention and care into their back catalogue the way Macca has with these Archive Collection releases.

Back