HiRez Poll Waters, Roger - AMUSED TO DEATH [BluRay/SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA/SACD of Roger Waters - AMUSED TO DEATH

• Total voters
I am not even writing to you dude, so where are your people skills?

Sometimes I can't tell if we're being trolled or if someone is sincere.

You're posting on a public forum. You publicly attacked a respected forum member with a long history here, when your history is pretty much zero. People are going to chime in and tell you that you're wrong, and exactly why. Rontoon's response to you was far kinder than you deserved, and he explained what he and others (including me) don't like about the ATD 5.1 release.

Maybe learn how public forums work before opening your mouth next time.

Music is fine (As a changin' teenager, the songs are AWESOME for me) you all know that Roger's compositions here, are a mixed bag of feelings and thoughts (specially political ones: I'll not expose 'em here, as this is not the main thing) :yikes
This is a nearly perfect mix. It's like one of those mad dreams all of us have, yeah, like that one that happened in an afternoon/early morning, where you where flyin' freely through and over the stairs :banana::banana::banana::banana::confused::confused: A tailored description would be: Just imagine the sounds of that mad stair-related dream. Yes, everything is coming from everywhere, and has tons and tons of layers, from the usual rock core to house-related sounds, like dog barks, ringing phones, cricket-full yards, old mono-speaker TV sounds, crowds from football games and, if Donnie Darko's vision of what a house is counts, there are plane and crashing sounds as well. ;) I thought that the only things remaning in the fronts were the drums, and even there's a lot of room (reverb?) sound for them.
Automatic 10 for me.

An old favourite, listened to the cool Q-sound (the barking dog, haha) cd for years. Have owned the Blu Ray about a year and love the improved fidelty - and the surround-mix.

I give it a solid 10!!

An old favourite, listened to the cool Q-sound (the barking dog, haha) cd for years. Have owned the Blu Ray about a year and love the improved fidelty - and the surround-mix.

I give it a solid 10!!

Funny, I just listened to the same on Friday after not listening since I originally purchased. 2016 Surround Grammy. I have the SACD, give it a 10 also.

I got a good deal on this from a Chinese or Hong Kong seller on eBay, I even forgot that it's a Blu-ray + CD until I pulled it out for play. Although I don't consider myself to really be a Pink Floyd fan, I did enjoy this disc. If you like or love Pink Floyd, you'll like or love this disc, it's likely that you already have it. The fidelity and the surround mix are excellent! When I have the time I'll listen to the Q sound stereo version as well.

Copied and pasted most of this from the discussion thread. Should have waited a day or 2 for the poll I guess!

I give it an 8. The "Q-sound" stereo mix is about perfect. :) I used to think it was just bs but you can hear it clearly now!

I hear it clearly on the old CD (I have the 'gold disc' version).

Jumping to track 5
The original stereo mix.
OK! Just holy shit was that 1992 CD squashed as all hell! This… makes this album make a WHOLE lot more sense with this theatrical dynamic range that is not even remotely possible to present on a 16 bit CD format. Roger was just too far ahead of the consumer technology with the original release and you can finally hear it now.

You can honestly perceive surround with this Q mix! You couldn't hear any trace on the original CD. I thought it was just some bs. Must have been obliterated by the 16 bit treatment. You sit right in the sweet spot and it comes into focus like those magic eye things for 3D.

I clearly hear the Q sound effects while playing the old CD. They're quite startling at times.

No way is the old CD mastering 'squashed as hell' either. http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=&album=amused+to+death

FYI

Not sure if the following has been commented so far.

The dynamic range of the BDA 5.1 mix is DR16 (exceptionally high!).

Exceptional for a 5.1 mix (which includes two channels of typically low- level audio) or a 2.0 mix?

"DR" readings of 5.1 mixes should probably be taken with a grain of salt. Might be better to check the DR of a 2-channel downmix, for comparison purposes.

The stereo mix IS the original Q-sound mix. It just has the (originally missing) new elements pasted over the top. You can hear the image of the additions not quite match up with the Q-sound image (especially the Hal clip). I can understand here that Roger might consider these missing bits on the original as flaws. The Q-sound mix is intact and perceivable for the first time on this release as it is presented in lossless HD quality for the first time.

If you mean that the Q-sound 'surround' effects (imaging thrown *far* beyond the boundaries of the L/R speakers) that's simply untrue.

If its not a mastering mistake its a poor 5.1 mix for sure. You can actually remove the centre speaker to no detriment at all - there's basically nothing going on there!

Some artists (and the mixers who work for them) aren't fans of center channel vocal mixes, for reasons that might be clear on a few moment's reflection. It's not necessarily a 'mistake'.

This is kind of a tough one for me to judge, and one I've been putting off as I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it. I really enjoy the music. The sound quality is incredible, and I find the surround mix to be fitting - if not overly adventurous - until Roger's vocals come in on What God Wants part I... It's mixed far too loud, right in your face, and because JG doesn't utilize the center channel for vocals, it can't even be turned down.

On certain tracks his vocals seem properly balanced, and I have no issues with the female vocals throughout.

Understand, I'm not familiar with any previous versions of this album, so for all I know, maybe the vocals are true to the original mix. Dunno...

Anyway, I'd like to go with an 8 or 9, but the vocals just don't sound balanced to me. I guess a 7. It's certainly not a 6. But an 8 seems overly generous.

Heh, I missed those replies from RJW2010 back then. No specific critique on how I ruined what was a perfect release? But that's fine.
I listened to this again not long ago. I'm actually still happy with the work I did (which doesn't always happen after the dust settles). I still think the mix is outrageously good! I still think there was a mastering disaster and the presentation was not as intended. I still think I helped correct it. But again, who the heck do I think I am? Or maybe RJW liked what he heard but thought "Who does this asshole think he is? This just isn't right!" That would be fair enough too. Boy, I'd sure like to hear blunt specific critiques though for anything I touch that someone thinks is messed up! I'm genuinely interested in what someone else might be hearing that I don't when that happens. Thanks for the kind words from everyone who also thought I helped the poor thing though.

Yeah, Von Kulper, that's what I thought too and decided was a mastering mistake.

Heh, I missed those replies from RJW2010 back then. No specific critique on how I ruined what was a perfect release? But that's fine.
I listened to this again not long ago. I'm actually still happy with the work I did (which doesn't always happen after the dust settles). I still think the mix is outrageously good! I still think there was a mastering disaster and the presentation was not as intended. I still think I helped correct it. But again, who the heck do I think I am? Or maybe RJW liked what he heard but thought "Who does this asshole think he is? This just isn't right!" That would be fair enough too. Boy, I'd sure like to hear blunt specific critiques though for anything I touch that someone thinks is messed up! I'm genuinely interested in what someone else might be hearing that I don't when that happens. Thanks for the kind words from everyone who also thought I helped the poor thing though.

Yeah, Von Kulper, that's what I thought too and decided was a mastering mistake.
Your version is my go to. Vocals were way too loud before you worked your magic, perfect after :)

Your version is my go to. Vocals were way too loud before you worked your magic, perfect after :)

Uuuuuuuuh... wut? I'm feeling out of the loop here... Who ruined it? RJW? o_O:confused: WHOSE MAGIC?? :poop:

Guess I'll have to backtrack through the thread here

Edit - All right, now I'm caught up (y)

Last edited:
Back