HiRez Poll Waters, Roger - AMUSED TO DEATH [BluRay/SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA/SACD of Roger Waters - AMUSED TO DEATH

• Total voters
My favourite Waters album. I saw the original documentary from which Waters lifted that harrowing story used at the beginning and end. I don't think its ever been repeated but it was an incredible piece of television. Some of Jeff Becks most emotive guitar playing EVER here. I quite like the new stereo mix (though there was nothing wrong with the original in my view) however I thought the 5.1 mix was very unambitious considering the amount of things that could be moved around and as such its very disappointing. I was really excited about this one but its a real let down... And the packaging is absolutely appalling.

My favourite Waters album. I saw the original documentary from which Waters lifted that harrowing story used at the beginning and end. I don't think its ever been repeated but it was an incredible piece of television. Some of Jeff Becks most emotive guitar playing EVER here. I quite like the new stereo mix (though there was nothing wrong with the original in my view) however I thought the 5.1 mix was very unambitious considering the amount of things that could be moved around and as such its very disappointing. I was really excited about this one but its a real let down... And the packaging is absolutely appalling.

The stereo mix IS the original Q-sound mix. It just has the (originally missing) new elements pasted over the top. You can hear the image of the additions not quite match up with the Q-sound image (especially the Hal clip). I can understand here that Roger might consider these missing bits on the original as flaws. The Q-sound mix is intact and perceivable for the first time on this release as it is presented in lossless HD quality for the first time.

Still hoping that a mastering mistake is responsible for the obliteration of the 5.1 mix. (Meaning there's actually a REAL 5.1 mix and we'll get a corrected release to finally hear it soon!) Happened with the Tull TAAB 5.1 release first time around.

If its not a mastering mistake its a poor 5.1 mix for sure. You can actually remove the centre speaker to no detriment at all - there's basically nothing going on there!

There is an interview somewhere on Youtube where Waters talks about the stuff that was originally cut out but included in the 'new version' of the stereo mix and how he said 'put it back in' or similar.

Gents, I humbly think we're being a bit unfair. We wouldn't be so grumpy had someone else apart from Guthrie mixed this one.
This is the first new PF related record I was able to buy and I know if by heart, I could even recite the lyrics. I had high hopes for the mix and I'm too a bit disappointed because the album has got potential for a much more active mix. There are decision that I don't like, such as having Alf Razell on the left back speaker or the strange movement of the cart with the bells that is really outstanding on Q-sound (same as the lost startling effect of the ringing bell). Or, as mentioned by others, the sound panorama shrinking in WGW Pt 1.
But the sound fidelity is outstanding and the mix gets better as the album moves forward to the last three songs, that are absolutely brilliant.
And please don't despise this mix because there's little on the center speaker. Come on! There are hundreds of surround records with nothing on the center (do you remember quad?).
Of course it could have been better, but I'm really happy to be able to purchase it and I hope all the negative reviews do not impact any future 5.1 releases from Roger or PF, even if mixed by James. We're being too hard on this one!

I'll say it again... I really truly believe this to be a mistake as opposed to this being a poor, rushed mix!
Rude comments about that DSOTM remix aside, this is the man that mixed the Wall and the live shows at the time! He has skills! He goes to great length to capture and preserve fidelity more than most. There's nothing glaring on his DSOTM remix like this - it's simply mixed in the style of many circa early 2000's 5.1 remixes where things are mostly stereo up front and just ambiance in the rear. This turns out to absolutely not be a thing many people are into (along with the original mix not being included on that SACD release which is certainly the bigger complaint) but the mix makes sense in its own way. There's just no way this ATD 5.1 mix is intentional as it stands.

The ambiance and reflections mixed to the Center channel are a further clue as well. It really looks/sounds for all the world that a lead vox stem intended for the Center channel was misdirected to both the Lf & Rf (hence the doubling in volume) and at the same time a stereo FX bus (ambiance and reflections) intended for the Lf, Rf was misdirected to the Center channel.

Gents, I humbly think we're being a bit unfair. We wouldn't be so grumpy had someone else apart from Guthrie mixed this one.
This is the first new PF related record I was able to buy and I know if by heart, I could even recite the lyrics. I had high hopes for the mix and I'm too a bit disappointed because the album has got potential for a much more active mix. There are decision that I don't like, such as having Alf Razell on the left back speaker or the strange movement of the cart with the bells that is really outstanding on Q-sound (same as the lost startling effect of the ringing bell). Or, as mentioned by others, the sound panorama shrinking in WGW Pt 1.
But the sound fidelity is outstanding and the mix gets better as the album moves forward to the last three songs, that are absolutely brilliant.
And please don't despise this mix because there's little on the center speaker. Come on! There are hundreds of surround records with nothing on the center (do you remember quad?).
Of course it could have been better, but I'm really happy to be able to purchase it and I hope all the negative reviews do not impact any future 5.1 releases from Roger or PF, even if mixed by James. We're being too hard on this one!

Its not about WHO mixed it surely? Its about HOW GOOD the mix ISN'T !! Sadly, its not very good in my opinion, or at least its nowhere near as good as it could have been / should have been. The quad reference is curious as many Quad mixes are far more adventurous and a better experience for it. Sadly this one is better in stereo for me personally. Just my opinion - everyone will have a different one. Its a missed opportunity and its not going to be done again.

I'll say it again... I really truly believe this to be a mistake as opposed to this being a poor, rushed mix!
Rude comments about that DSOTM remix aside, this is the man that mixed the Wall and the live shows at the time! He has skills! He goes to great length to capture and preserve fidelity more than most. There's nothing glaring on his DSOTM remix like this - it's simply mixed in the style of many circa early 2000's 5.1 remixes where things are mostly stereo up front and just ambiance in the rear. This turns out to absolutely not be a thing many people are into (along with the original mix not being included on that SACD release which is certainly the bigger complaint) but the mix makes sense in its own way. There's just no way this ATD 5.1 mix is intentional as it stands.

The ambiance and reflections mixed to the Center channel are a further clue as well. It really looks/sounds for all the world that a lead vox stem intended for the Center channel was misdirected to both the Lf & Rf (hence the doubling in volume) and at the same time a stereo FX bus (ambiance and reflections) intended for the Lf, Rf was misdirected to the Center channel.

That's a pretty big mistake to be missed don't you think!

Anyone have Rog's phone number to see what he thinks!!
:yikes

This album holds a special place for me, lyrically. I think maybe because I've experienced war and seen a lot of evil in this world, much of what AtD laments REALLY resonates with me.
I've seen the good that can come of loving your country. I've seen an evil side to patriotism too. I've been angered over the abuse of power by politicians who use war and death for their own gain.
To me AtD is worth the price tag just for Perfect Sense.
"And they put him in command of a nuclear submarine
Sent him off, in search of the garden of Eden."
That poetic, elegant line, sung by such a gorgeous, luscious voice absolutely cuts me to the core. It encapsulates so much.

Quick question that came across my mind as I was listening to the album in surround at home this evening:

Has anyone made a DVDA of this title yet and played it in an DVDA-equipped Acura car?
Given that the mix is rather front-heavy but still discrete, I can imagine this is a title that would sound excellent when sitting in the front seats of the Acura.

Anyone agree?

That's a pretty big mistake to be missed don't you think!

Yeah. I'm probably wrong which makes the above is one of the terriblest reviews ever. :(

But then listen to how the lead guitar parts equal the vocal in the stereo mix (when the solos take over that is - like you'd expect) and then listen to how the solo guitar leads are half the lead vocal level in the 5.1. Turning Jeff Beck down intentionally? Really?

This album holds a special place for me, lyrically. I think maybe because I've experienced war and seen a lot of evil in this world, much of what AtD laments REALLY resonates with me.
I've seen the good that can come of loving your country. I've seen an evil side to patriotism too. I've been angered over the abuse of power by politicians who use war and death for their own gain.
To me AtD is worth the price tag just for Perfect Sense.
"And they put him in command of a nuclear submarine
Sent him off, in search of the garden of Eden."
That poetic, elegant line, sung by such a gorgeous, luscious voice absolutely cuts me to the core. It encapsulates so much.

He played Perfect Sense on the 1999 tour. The last chorus where the crowd joins in (both via the quad system and joined by the live crowd in this case) was one of the more powerful live concert moments I can remember.

hi Cesar, I agree with you that towards the end the mixes get better. On another forum ai wrote that it sounds like two different mixers mixed the 5.1, as it is not a constant mix throughout. This is not the case obviously, as JG is the sole mixer. But overall it could have been better.

I gave this BD a 10 (y)! I love the mix in 5.1 and the stereo mix is great bcz it is the original stereo just remastered. I gave my analysis of the BD in a different thread under Amused To Death.
Q-sound is like an effect so it is used during the mixing process. All the stereo versions have Q-sound bcz it is part of the mix! I made sure my speakers were evenly spaced and I was seated in the middle/center, and the dog barked far off to the right! You don't have to do anything to your speakers unless they are not setup correct. If you don't hear the dog barking out to the far right, then your system or speakers are not set up correct!
Same with the 5.1, the disc is not broken, your system is! The people in here complaining about the 5.1 mix saying the mastering is messed up, are you seriously that neive or conceded to think that the disc is broken and not your system! I use the HDMI out of my player into my receiver and used the setup menu and it all works fine.
Is it written somewhere that the vocal is supposed to come out of the center channel? We have all been listening to stereo for a very long time without a center channel and the vocal comes out of the phantom center. It does seem like the vocal is a bit loud at times but I that is part of the new 5.1 mix, not a mistake in mastering or because it was supposed to come out of the center channel. You should check your system before you write so you don't sound like a %*^#!

You should check your system before you write so you don't sound like a %*^#!

You might want to ask before you assume.

That you like the 5.1 mix is a fine thing! :)
Your theory might suggest the 100's of other surround recordings I listen to are uniquely flawed as to sound 'correct' on an uncalibrated system though.

My theory is more wishful thinking instead of coming to terms that I don't like the new work. Which I've more or less admitted already. (You'd think the Tull TAAB release would be too high profile for any such mistakes but there it was.)

The original stereo mix is not included BTW. It's the unscathed original mix but with the addition of the missing fx. Roger almost certainly considers the original missing parts a flaw and doesn't want to present it that way for any reason anymore.

The Q-sound system used phasing and micro delay tricks to trick your perception into hearing surround. Much like the magic eye art for perceiving 3D (in effect).
They would have mixed through it live and printed what they heard.
The new additions are pasted over the top of the original mix.

I don't have a problem with Lf, Rf center panned vox in 5.1 either. The hotter mix level is what I didn't like here. (How could that be the fault of system calibration when it's mixed into the Lf, Rf right along with the drums?) Whatever works in the mix. Actually it's the mixer that gets a center channel lead vocal right that's the rarer and trickier thing. Heck, I even like the White Rabbit mix with the lead vocal in the Ls channel in the back of the room. :D

Really? You should get your facts right before you write so you don't sound like a %*^#!

Go to Google, type in "James Guthrie, Amused To Death, Stereo Mix" you will see that they all say the original stereo mix has been remastered.

So yes, again, get your facts right before you write...

Back