HiRez Poll Waters, Roger - AMUSED TO DEATH [BluRay/SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA/SACD of Roger Waters - AMUSED TO DEATH

• Total voters
Go to Google, type in "James Guthrie, Amused To Death, Stereo Mix" you will see that they all say the original stereo mix has been remastered.

So yes, again, get your facts right before you write...

Erm... Go listen to the stereo recording on the disc and you will hear the mix with the new sound fx clips pasted over it.

Or are you actually saying you have a disc with a SECOND stereo program and it is the original without the added material? No HAL in Perfect sense on your copy of the stereo mix?
If you really have such a thing, can you post actual details? The ad hominem attack suggests you are talking out of your %*^#!
Your claim of having a disc with the unaltered original stereo mix is actually a bit wilder than my theory of a mastering mistake with the 5.1 mix.

Go to Google, type in "James Guthrie, Amused To Death, Stereo Mix" you will see that they all say the original stereo mix has been remastered.

So yes, again, get your facts right before you write...

The stereo version wasn't simply remastered - 3 songs were remixed, Perfect Sense (Parts 1 + 2) and also Bravery of Being out of Range and more than just sound effects were added. If you think the difference between the original and new stereo version is due to remastering then you need more than your hearing checked.

After your first 3 posts here maybe you'll finally get it right. Or are you just trolling the forum?

My turn. As you all may remember I chastised Guthrie for his crappy WYWH attempt. Very poor. This one however he did create a very different experience fron the Q-Sound original actually improving Bravery Of Being Out Of Range AKA more Floyd less KAOS.
I must confess, I borrowed a copy and ripped it and since my 5.1 system is gone, quad was my alternative. I needed to make several copies since the folded center and sub channel had to be reduced -15db in order to get it to sound balanced. Yes friends there is a center channel and sub and I believe someone post production from Guthrie jacked this part up leading to a un-balanced mix when on a properly setup 5.1 system.

When mixed as quad only with the reductions made it is quite balanced and definitely makes use of all channels in a good way. I did notice the front has way more top end than the read but this is todays methods and I don't think anyone has four matched speakers so todays engineers mix for dinky low res rears and good fronts,

I do agree however a lot of the effects loose their punch in the 5.1 especially the fly over in Late Home Tonight, The horse cart and bells in Too Much Rope, and as someone mentioned the Telephone before Watching TV. One bonus though is Don Henley is super clear now as well as the drums on ATD and throughout. Turning down Jeff Beck is a bonus imho Was way to obnoxious on the original mix. The HAL remix has been around for a while so nothing interesting there.

Rating? 8.5 it is good and better than all the other Guthrie pathetic attempts but agree a little more tweak would have made dramatic differences. I also think Guthrie was right for the job as this was his mix initially and I don't think any other engineer would have the right memories to capture what was intended,

Hey, guys. I just signed up a couple of days ago because I wanted to know if anyone else noticed noise in the title track of the AtD 5.1 mix. It's about halfway through the song on the LF speaker: a whispery chirp that is definitely not the crickets that are supposed to be there. I don't hear it on any of the other mixes. My 5.1 system isn't the greatest (an older Kenwood), but I'm sure the speakers are in good condition, and the noise isn't caused by overloading them.

On another note: Did you notice that on "The Bravery of Being Out of Range" Roger eliminated the female vocal on the line "just love those laser-guided bombs"?

Hey, guys. I just signed up a couple of days ago because I wanted to know if anyone else noticed noise in the title track of the AtD 5.1 mix. It's about halfway through the song on the LF speaker: a whispery chirp that is definitely not the crickets that are supposed to be there. I don't hear it on any of the other mixes. My 5.1 system isn't the greatest (an older Kenwood), but I'm sure the speakers are in good condition, and the noise isn't caused by overloading them.

On another note: Did you notice that on "The Bravery of Being Out of Range" Roger eliminated the female vocal on the line "just love those laser-guided bombs"?

Hi Adam, you came to the right place, I am sure people will check it out as soon as they see and get the time to spin it. Welcome aboard. :banana:

Do you have the bluray or SACD?

If it does turn out to be just your disc.........try returning it getting a replacement. We shall see soon enough tho

Hi Adam, you came to the right place, I am sure people will check it out as soon as they see and get the time to spin it. Welcome aboard. :banana:

Do you have the bluray or SACD?

If it does turn out to be just your disc.........try returning it getting a replacement. We shall see soon enough tho

Blu-ray. My brother got it for me from a third-party vendor on Amazon, so returning probably isn't an option. First, I need to know if it's a production error. If that's the way the disc is, no point returning it.

Can you give the exact time when the sound occurs (makes it easier!):)

I was late in getting this and I haven't yet read any of the 67 posts above. I've caught wind, however, that some mix-bashing may have gone on. Is the mix super discrete like a Steven Wilson or Elliot Scheiner mix? No it's not. Do I enjoy this album better in surround as compared to stereo? Absolutely. In fact, I haven't really played the cd much after I first heard it upon its release. It's never been very musically engaging to me. However, I'm sure now I'll listen to it more often than before, but only in surround. Even though there are often the same vocals and whatnot that appear in multiple speakers, there always seems to be different instruments or sound effects that are spread out in a very discrete fashion. My bottom line is that the fidelity and dynamics are superb and that the surround mix makes this the best version of this album that I've heard.

Do I enjoy this album better in surround as compared to stereo? Absolutely. In fact, I haven't really played the cd much after I first heard it upon its release. It's never been very musically engaging to me.

Listen to the unmolested HD stereo mix on this release. You might be surprised at how it sounds now that it's not reduced to 16 bit, 44.1k.

I'm patiently waiting through several shipping delays via WOW HD US. I've finally given up and cancelled my order. But now, I've seen on Amazon people commenting that the BR has playback issues (dead left channel).
Any thoughts? My system is very current. Thanks.

I'm patiently waiting through several shipping delays via WOW HD US. I've finally given up and cancelled my order. But now, I've seen on Amazon people commenting that the BR has playback issues (dead left channel).
Any thoughts? My system is very current. Thanks.

Dead Center Channel more like :yikes

Or you could say its the first 5.1 Quad mix !! Who need anything in that pesky middle!!
First one on Blu-ray, maybe.

The Queen Greatest Video Hits releases featured a number of tracks with no center channel. Can't recall the specifics at the moment though.

"Gotta admit, that I'm a little bit confused"...
I don't really understand the amount of negative comments this release gets. Sure, the packaging could have been better, as well as the on screen parts, but hey: isn't it really about the MUSIC and what it actually SOUNDS like?
Sonically I personally find nothing to complain about here. Probably, again contrary to what most of the other posters here seem to think, because this is my favourite album by Roger Waters. I loved the original album when it came out in 1992 and it is still one of the albums I go back to regularly. It hasn't lost its relevance, for me anyway.
The dynamics in this album are fantastic, not just the technical production, but the compositions too. Perhaps James Guthrie took a rather safe approach to the surround mix, but I guess it could have been what Roger Waters had in mind. His music on this album, which is very sound effect driven, could easily have gone overboard when it comes to bringing it to a surround environment. I think they did a great job by keeping it subtle and not just went "all effects are go!" on this one.
Just my 2 dollars and cents, pounds, shillings and pence...

Quick question that came across my mind as I was listening to the album in surround at home this evening:

Has anyone made a DVDA of this title yet and played it in an DVDA-equipped Acura car?
Given that the mix is rather front-heavy but still discrete, I can imagine this is a title that would sound excellent when sitting in the front seats of the Acura.

Anyone agree?

Well nobody answered this question for me, so I had to find out for myself, and I was right.
Given that the mix is rather front-heavy but still discrete, this surround mix sounds much better in the Acura than it does in a normal home/studio listening environment.

Well nobody answered this question for me, so I had to find out for myself, and I was right.
Given that the mix is rather front-heavy but still discrete, this surround mix sounds much better in the Acura than it does in a normal home/studio listening environment.

I haven't got around to doing this one yet, so that's good to know. I listen a lot more in the car than at home, so I need to get off me butt and get this one to DVD-A. I never really cared that the ELS didn't do SACD until now, with all of the great AF SACDs coming out. Too bad the auto market didn't jump on 5.1 back in 1999. Coulda Shoulda etc..

Back