Yes "Fragile": DVD-A/BluRay Out October 30th (Remixed by Steven Wilson)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Fragile is the fourth in a series of remixed & expanded Yes Classics. The album has been mixed for 5.1 Surround Sound from the original studio masters by Steven Wilson & is fully approved by Yes.

BLURAY/CD

The Definitive Edition Blu-Ray Disc features:

– Album mixed in 24-96 5.1 PCM Surround Sound & in DTS-HD MA 5.1 from original multi-track sources.
– New Album mix in High Resolution Stereo
– Original Album mix (flat transfer) in High Resolution Stereo
– Six additional tracks

– Original Roger Dean artwork expanded & restored with material from the Roger Dean archive & with full approval of the artist.
– Presented as a 2 x digi-pack format in a slipcase with new sleeve notes by writer Sid Smith along with rare photos & archive material.

Blu-Ray exclusives

– Full album instrumental mixes by Steven Wilson
– Two additional alternate takes
– A full album needle-drop of an original UK vinyl pressing
– US promo singles edits as needle-drops.

DVD-A/CD

The Definitive Edition DVD-A Disc features:

– Album mixed in 24-96 5.1 DTS vLossless Surround from original multi-track sources.
– New Album mix in High Resolution Stereo
– Original Album mix (flat transfer) in High Resolution Stereo
– Six additional tracks

– Original Roger Dean artwork expanded & restored with material from the Roger Dean archive & with full approval of the artist.
– Presented as a 2 x digi-pack format in a slipcase with new sleeve notes by writer Sid Smith along with rare photos & archive material

Additional Tracks

10 We Have Heaven (full mix)
11 South Side of the Sky (early version)
12 All Fighters Past (previously unheard)
13 We Have Heaven (acapella) mixed by Steven Wilson
14 Roundabout (rehearsal take/early mix)
15 Mood for Another Day (alternate take of Mood for a Day)

In addition to the main album, Steven unearthed a virtual treasure trove on the multi-track tapes, allowing him to mix full length & acapella versions of “We Have Heaven”, an earlier take of “South Side of the Sky” & – in perhaps the most exciting discovery of this series to date – a previously unheard segment of a piece now called “All Fighters Past” which incorporates ideas that would later form parts of “The Revealing Science of God” (Tales from Topographic Oceans) & “Siberian Khatru” (Close to The Edge) performed in the style of Roundabout! With a further two additional tracks – alternate takes of “Roundabout” & “Mood for a Day” & numerous exclusive to Blu-Ray edition features, including the complete album in instrumental form mixed by Steven Wilson, this is the definitive edition of Fragile.

In keeping with earlier releases in this series, Steven Wilson’s approach to this album for new stereo & 5.1 mixes is to faithfully retain the spirit & sounds of the original album mix, while applying modern mix techniques to bring further clarity to the individual instrument, vocal & overdubs for each track. The songs, instantly familiar to a multitude of Yes fans, remain so, with the new mixes – especially in 5.1 form – providing a greater sense of space for each voice to be heard, Anderson’s voice seems to join the listener in the room, Howe & Wakeman’s solos glisten with clarity & Bruford/Squire remind all that they were unmatched as a rhythm section during that period.

SOURCE: http://yesworld.com/2015/08/yess-fr...ed-in-5-1-surround-stereo-mixes-out-30th-oct/

That sounds amazing!

I continue to be really hungry to hear what SW will do to 'finish' the Tales album. That is just going to be over the top. I often forget about Fragile with the VERY often played Roundabout, LDR, & HotS in favor of the less mainstream. (Not trying to be hipster about it - just hear those tracks all the time even still in 2015)

But this is one of the 'big 2' Yes albums with the best band lineup the world has ever seen!
SW is going to 'finish' this one too! The somewhat awkwardly produced solo tracks (well, Bill's and Rick's anyway) are going to be just perfectly rescued and presented. And my neighbors are really going to be getting familiar with SSotS again!

There was a really stunningly poor DVDA released for this album in 2002 that featured a brick walled copy of the stereo mix (clearly produced and squashed in preparation for the 16 bit CD master but before the final downsampling and wordlength reduction) and a studio intern mixed 5.1 remix that features a crude mostly stereo mix in front with awkward reverb that doesn't match the production in the surrounds. And a few really awkward guitar overdub outtakes that got missed being muted. Hopefully that bootleg-like release will be forgotten now and not lure anyone else into a sale.

That sounds amazing!

There was a really stunningly poor DVDA released for this album in 2002 that featured a brick walled copy of the stereo mix (clearly produced and squashed in preparation for the 16 bit CD master but before the final downsampling and wordlength reduction) and a studio intern mixed 5.1 remix that features a crude mostly stereo mix in front with awkward reverb that doesn't match the production in the surrounds. And a few really awkward guitar overdub outtakes that got missed being muted. Hopefully that bootleg-like release will be forgotten now and not lure anyone else into a sale.

Great news that he is doing this album! Steven Wilson could make a surround sound recording of his dog licking its testicles and it would sound better than the 5.1 mix of Roundabout on that DVD-A! I'm sure that it will be well done.

Dear me! Thrak, Oranges & Lemons and now Fragile all announced within 24 hours of each other? Good things really do come in 3's! October may be the best 5.1 month ever.

:cool:

That sounds amazing!

I continue to be really hungry to hear what SW will do to 'finish' the Tales album. That is just going to be over the top. I often forget about Fragile with the VERY often played Roundabout, LDR, & HotS in favor of the less mainstream. (Not trying to be hipster about it - just hear those tracks all the time even still in 2015)

But this is one of the 'big 2' Yes albums with the best band lineup the world has ever seen!
SW is going to 'finish' this one too! The somewhat awkwardly produced solo tracks (well, Bill's and Rick's anyway) are going to be just perfectly rescued and presented. And my neighbors are really going to be getting familiar with SSotS again!

Well, the two you are hoping for -- Bruford's and Wakeman's solo tracks -- got very good/active remixes on that 2002 release. I'd say all of the solo tracks were well done,except for the added reverb on Howe's. It was the big three tracks that suffered. (The 'America' remix was also terrible)

I'll buy the cd/br of Fragile and probably quite enjoy it - loved that album when I was younger though it wore off over the years...but still, Tales and GftOne would get my interest more.

I'll definitely be getting this. Too bad there is no SACD option though, although I'm not sure all that material would fit on just one... maybe single layer.

There was a really stunningly poor DVDA released for this album in 2002...Hopefully that bootleg-like release will be forgotten now and not lure anyone else into a sale.

Too late for me... :rolleyes:

-- Jim (no wonder it was so cheap!)

P.S. Guess I'll probably pass on this new one, since I already have it...

[EDIT: That's a joke by the way] :)

Excellent news! Blu-Ray for me. Thanks for sharing the news!

The BluRay seems to have a great deal more material than the previous Relayer re-issue.
I'm in for this.Sadly the Aussie $ is killing my wallet and just to stick the knife in more our Government is gong to add 10% tax on online orders soon.

Tales is the one I'm itchy for but I'll surely preorder Fragile and look forward experiencing Steve's mixes.

Why oh why are the instrumental mixes still only in stereo?

Tales is the one I'm itchy for but I'll surely preorder Fragile and look forward experiencing Steve's mixes.

If you cut the Center channel on the 5.1 mix you mostly get an instrumental mix. OKay, it is not *exactly* the same thing, but...

I've never really cared about the exchange rate..it ¡s always manipulated...
The Euro has been on a nosedive lately...
:=P

Hmm.. I'd love the instrumentals in surround too but given how much amazing content is squeezed into these Yes sets I have to question if it's really reasonable grounds for a grumble.. :eek:

I've never really cared about the exchange rate..it ¡s always manipulated...
The Euro has been on a nosedive lately...
:=P
Manipulated or not; that's not the issue here in Canada. The prices of the discs I buy are directly related to the value of the Canadian dollar relative to the US dollar. And that's just one example that affects me personally. The cost of many things here, in fact almost everything, rise and fall based on the US exchange rate.

Back