Herbie Hancock's "Head Hunters" Multichannel SACD reissue on AP

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not shooting the messenger but what a damn waste of time a Headhunters SACD reissue is without the Quad mix included.

I can't imagine Analogue Productions haven't looked up from their newspaper and seen Audio Fidelity cleaning up with their Surround SACDs.. I'm surprised with some of the Sony back catalogue AP have been accessing they haven't similarly chosen to follow suit and go the Multichannel SACD Quad route, after all it's not as if they have their heads up their backsides with regard to Surround the way MFSL do..maybe they're not interested in making more money..

Not shooting the messenger but what a damn waste of time a Headhunters SACD reissue is without the Quad mix included.

I can't imagine Analogue Productions haven't looked up from their newspaper and seen Audio Fidelity cleaning up with their Surround SACDs.. I'm surprised with some of the Sony back catalogue AP have been accessing they haven't similarly chosen to follow suit and go the Multichannel SACD Quad route, after all it's not as if they have their heads up their backsides with regard to Surround the way MFSL do..maybe they're not interested in making more money..

This one might have been in the planning quite some time ago...prior to AF's recent success...or they are asleep at the wheel:steering:

Do we know that they are "cleaning up" with these surround layers? Of course they are selling more units right out of the box. It appears to not be a failure, but nobody knows really how well they do, other than the Doors which sold out right away, I think. Were there others that needed a second run right away?

- 15 MultiChannel titles released in 12 months,
- and near universal praise in reviews and in forums such as QQ, sa-cd.net, Steve Hoffman forum etc.,
- with more Multichannel titles already announced to come in the weeks ahead..
I don't know how this Surround SACD enterprise from Audio Fidelity can be seen as anything other than a triumph.

Audio Fidelity are a business not a charity, we're a full calendar year and 15 releases in now, if these things weren't selling wouldn't the programme have faltered by now?

Maybe Brian can speak to the point that AP has not, other than the Doors box set, added the quad mix to the high profile Columbia/Sony titles that they have licensed and continue to release. It seems like a sure fire way to increase sales and keep the SACD format at the forefront.

Maybe they're just not open to Quadraphonic mixes on SACD.

All of the surround SACDs released from them have been 5.1 surround mixes:
-Pink Floyd "Wish You Were Here"
-Roger Waters "Amused to Death"
-Norah Jones "Come Away With Me"
-The Doors' Classic 6

Everything else is either mono, stereo, or 3-channel (LCR)

Maybe they're just not open to Quadraphonic mixes on SACD.

All of the surround SACDs released from them have been 5.1 surround mixes:
-Pink Floyd "Wish You Were Here"
-Roger Waters "Amused to Death"
-Norah Jones "Come Away With Me"
-The Doors' Classic 6

Everything else is either mono, stereo, or 3-channel (LCR)

Maybe they're just cheap ass or bone idle, either way trading on the work of others.. all those 5.1's were already released in other formats/configurations by other labels, all the remixing work was done and paid for by those other labels.. to add insult to injury most of the non-AP editions are still available now for sensible money even though most are out of print.. arguably most are not even the finest examples of modern multichannel mixing, they've most probably been chosen for the exceptional 5.1 AP treatment purely for reasons of "marketing strategy"... Money money money.. (yes they're a business but a speciality label that's dabbling in Multichannel while not delivering is a poor show imho) could anyone here say Norah Jones, The Doors, WYWH, AMTD are showcase absolute must hear surround music mixes?

You've not mentioned the Nat King Cole AP SACDs, RT (and I totally appreciate why!) but the Nat King Cole's are exceptional and easily the best MultiCh SACD things from Analogue Productions I've ever heard.. they are 3-channel so while they are Multichannel they are not, of course, surround but for my money that doesn't detract from their brilliance, they almost undo all the half-baked shit they've produced in MultiCh of rehashed Brubeck, Norah Jones, etc..

Maybe they're just cheap ass or bone idle, either way trading on the work of others.. all those 5.1's were already released in other formats/configurations by other labels, all the remixing work was done and paid for by those other labels.. to add insult to injury most of the non-AP editions are still available now for sensible money even though most are out of print.. arguably most are not even the finest examples of modern multichannel mixing, they've most probably been chosen for the exceptional 5.1 AP treatment purely for reasons of "marketing strategy"... Money money money.. (yes they're a business but a speciality label that's dabbling in Multichannel while not delivering is a poor show imho) could anyone here say Norah Jones, The Doors, WYWH, AMTD are showcase absolute must hear surround music mixes?

You've not mentioned the Nat King Cole AP SACDs, RT (and I totally appreciate why!) but the Nat King Cole's are exceptional and easily the best MultiCh SACD things from Analogue Productions I've ever heard.. they are 3-channel so while they are Multichannel they are not, of course, surround but for my money that doesn't detract from their brilliance, they almost undo all the half-baked shit they've produced in MultiCh of rehashed Brubeck, Norah Jones, etc..

Those Nat King Cole discs are the finest example of vintage music I have ever heard....and I'm not a Nat King Cole fan...

I didn't mention the Nat King Cole SACDs because they are 3-channel and listed as such on the Acoustic Sounds website.
All of the ones I mentioned are listed on the AS site as Multichannel Surround SACDs, as opposed to 3-channel, stereo, etc.

I didn't mention the Nat King Cole SACDs because they are 3-channel and listed as such on the Acoustic Sounds website.
All of the ones I mentioned are listed on the AS site as Multichannel Surround SACDs, as opposed to 3-channel, stereo, etc.

Already acknowledged you didn't mention the NKC SACDs (and explained why I thought you hadn't) in my previous post but I was in a roll so maybe it got lost in the lack of punctuation! ;)

- 15 MultiChannel titles released in 12 months,
- and near universal praise in reviews and in forums such as QQ, sa-cd.net, Steve Hoffman forum etc.,
- with more Multichannel titles already announced to come in the weeks ahead..
I don't know how this Surround SACD enterprise from Audio Fidelity can be seen as anything other than a triumph.

Audio Fidelity are a business not a charity, we're a full calendar year and 15 releases in now, if these things weren't selling wouldn't the programme have faltered by now?
I don't like the way AF markets their products. They purposely hold back stuff, so their members can get them first. Then the audiophile retailers get them next. Then the discounters get them later. Then they want members to buy ridiculous junk like those last two aborted multichannel titles than came out in stereo instead. They want me to pay for Riding With The King before they will mail out the latest multichannel titles. Screw 'em. I cancelled once again.

I don't like the way AF markets their products. They purposely hold back stuff, so their members can get them first. Then the audiophile retailers get them next. Then the discounters get them later. Then they want members to buy ridiculous junk like those last two aborted multichannel titles than came out in stereo instead. They want me to pay for Riding With The King before they will mail out the latest multichannel titles. Screw 'em. I cancelled once again.

Some people are big enough fans of Audio Fidelity and the reissues they release that the subscription method works perfectly well for them.
As for myself (and many others as well), I prefer to take each release as they come and decide not only if I want it but when it best suits me to purchase it (providing of course that it's still in stock when I eventually come around to it).

So it's nice to have both options available to suit all customers' needs, but I do agree with you that it would be nice if there was at least less of a gap between when the audiophile retailers get the releases and when the discounters get them.

Now if only there was a subscription service for Steven Wilson's remixes where subscribers could get them before the general public and retailers…I would be all over that!!! ;)

I'd like to see AF start up a multichannel club so all you have to buy are surround releases. They'd get a bunch of sign-ups from this forum probably.

Am I missing something here? Did Analogue Productions/Acoustic Sounds change its course on this SACD without any of us noticing?
Look at what it now says on their website: http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/104679/Herbie_Hancock-Head_Hunters-Hybrid_Multichannel_SACD

"A defining masterpiece of jazz funk, now on Hybrid Multichannel SACD!
Includes the original Stereo & Quadraphonic (4.0 Surround) Mixes!
Mastered at Sterling Sound by Ryan Smith"

Arrival Date is Still To Be Announced though...

Am I missing something here? Did Analogue Productions/Acoustic Sounds change its course on this SACD without any of us noticing?
Look at what it now says on their website: http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/104679/Herbie_Hancock-Head_Hunters-Hybrid_Multichannel_SACD

"A defining masterpiece of jazz funk, now on Hybrid Multichannel SACD!
Includes the original Stereo & Quadraphonic (4.0 Surround) Mixes!
Mastered at Sterling Sound by Ryan Smith"

Arrival Date is Still To Be Announced though...

Cool... if this Headhunters release is actually in surround then I'm all IN... (otherwise, all out). Fingers crossed.

Back