Steven Wilson Non-Donna Summer Requests

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
OK, well in that case I must be living in an alternate reality in which Donna Summer hasn't sold over 140 million records and isn't one of the biggest-selling artists of all time, and Procol Harum have a bigger fanbase. Maybe I should also forget my interest in doing the Michael Jackson catalogue and do something really iconic instead, like the Foghat back catalogue? (-;

PS - Would love to do the Sabbath catalogue.

Oh man - if you could do the Sabbath catalogue, I would be over the moon Steven! Wow!!! Especially the Ozzy era Sabbath...

Oh man - if you could do the Sabbath catalogue, I would be over the moon Steven! Wow!!! Especially the Ozzy era Sabbath...

I think Heaven and Hell, Mob Rules are superb albums as well.

Would Sharon Osbourne allow this? She would demand more money, evil women.

THIN LIZZY all
THIN LIZZY
SHADES OF A BLUE ORPHANAGE
VAGABONDS OF THE WESTERN WORLD
NIGHTLIFE
FIGHTING
JAILBREAK
JOHNNY THE FOX
BAD REPUTATION
BLACK ROSE - A ROCK LEGEND
China Town
Thank you

OK, well in that case I must be living in an alternate reality in which Donna Summer hasn't sold over 140 million records and isn't one of the biggest-selling artists of all time, and Procol Harum have a bigger fanbase. Maybe I should also forget my interest in doing the Michael Jackson catalogue and do something really iconic instead, like the Foghat back catalogue? (-;

PS - Would love to do the Sabbath catalogue.
i can't deny this "she biggest-selling artist" except "she were" doesn't mean "she still". i listened her back in late 70s/early 80s too.
now i have several her LPs. i did try to listen again but it doesn't works at all. i guess i'm not alone in this.
but Black Sabbath, that's band from which i started my journey into music world. over time many bands were become faves
and then fall out but Black Sabbath (Ozzy era) the one, which stay with me permanently. God know how much i wish you will
re-mix them into surround.
and apology for saying this but artist, who is deeply involved in prog.rock... honestly for me your not acceptance of Procol Harum
was unexpected, really. i consider them the first who started progressive rock genre.

Steven Wilson, I don't care what you remix next, as long as you enjoy it. Your surround mixes bring new life to old music, but your original music brings new life to all of us. Thank you.

i can't deny this "she biggest-selling artist" except "she were" doesn't mean "she still". i listened her back in late 70s/early 80s too.
now i have several her LPs. i did try to listen again but it doesn't works at all. i guess i'm not alone in this.
but Black Sabbath, that's band from which i started my journey into music world. over time many bands were become faves
and then fall out but Black Sabbath (Ozzy era) the one, which stay with me permanently. God know how much i wish you will
re-mix them into surround.
and apology for saying this but artist, who is deeply involved in prog.rock... honestly for me your not acceptance of Procol Harum
was unexpected, really. i consider them the first who started progressive rock genre.

Who's saying Steven Wilson was in any way dissing Procol Harum? He's simply acknowledging that they were never as commercially successful as other artists like Donna Summer or Michael Jackson, which is TRUE!

Who's saying Steven Wilson was in any way dissing Procol Harum? He's simply acknowledging that they were never as commercially successful as other artists like Donna Summer or Michael Jackson, which is TRUE!
could be i misread. Procol Harum isn't the band easy to come. for me it took very long but finally. they really amazing and were ahead of their time.
but most likely we never will hear them in surround, at least early albums. pretty fat chance there no multis.

could be i misread. Procol Harum isn't the band easy to come. for me it took very long but finally. they really amazing and were ahead of their time.
but most likely we never will hear them in surround, at least early albums. pretty fat chance there no multis.

Their Live at the BBC album appears to be SQ encoded.

OK, well in that case I must be living in an alternate reality in which Donna Summer hasn't sold over 140 million records and isn't one of the biggest-selling artists of all time

If you want to complete your Donna Summer collection, find a copy of the 1968 original German cast recording of "Hair". Hers is the very first voice you hear...and yes, she's singing in German.

There's even some film of a performance of the finale where she can be clearly seen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWXjTDnC-10

I think Heaven and Hell, Mob Rules are superb albums as well.

Would Sharon Osbourne allow this? She would demand more money, evil women.

I wonder is Sharon has ever asked to erase Ronnie and get Ozzie to dub his vocals over the top the way she dubbed out Bob Daisley and Lee Kerslake when they asked for a bigger share of the CD re-issues of the solo albums.

I'd love to hear anything SW wishes to do!

I'd especially love any classic Rush! Hemispheres? Permanent Waves? Neither have a 5.1 mix at all. Even the classic albums that do have a 5.1 mix could benefit from some SW magic... ;)

I'd love to hear anything SW wishes to do!

I'd especially love any classic Rush! Hemispheres? Permanent Waves? Neither have a 5.1 mix at all. Even the classic albums that do have a 5.1 mix could benefit from some SW magic... ;)

There's a few issues that come into play with RUSH and some of those classic albums you have mentioned.

The reason why we don't have 5.1 mixes for albums like "Hemispheres" and "Permanent Waves" is because either some or all of the multitrack tapes are missing. (PW in particular I have heard is really a lost cause…)
Plus, RUSH are not likely to go outside of Rich Chycki for their surround mixing work as they have worked with him on all of these classic surround mixes and live DVDs for the past 10 years. Many people on here don't like Chycki's mixing, but as long as the band does, they will continue to work with him, and that's just the way it is.

Many people on here don't like Chycki's mixing, but as long as the band does, they will continue to work with him, and that's just the way it is.

I still believe it is the band that is dictating to Chycki as to how the mixes should be. I've said it before but you only have to listen to Trapeze: The Collection Tom Cochrane to hear what nice 5.1 mixing Chycki is capable of.

If you want to complete your Donna Summer collection, find a copy of the 1968 original German cast recording of "Hair". Hers is the very first voice you hear...and yes, she's singing in German.

There's even some film of a performance of the finale where she can be clearly seen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWXjTDnC-10

Wow, she did her nose BIG time!!!(or did she???, can't tell)
Anyway, what a great loss!!!

I still believe it is the band that is dictating to Chycki as to how the mixes should be. I've said it before but you only have to listen to Trapeze: The Collection Tom Cochrane to hear what nice 5.1 mixing Chycki is capable of.

I'm beginning to think you are right on that point...in some of these bands there seems to be at least one member who "thinks" they know more than the professionals.....I call it the "Jimmy Page" syndrome...I think a lot of us have seen past interviews where guys like Eliot Scheiner have revealed this difference of opinion during a production...and rtbluray is right..as long as the band likes it..it's not going to change...I have given up hope on Rush and Led Zeppelin and moved on...it is what it is...

I'm beginning to think you are right on that point...in some of these bands there seems to be at least one member who "thinks" they know more than the professionals.....I call it the "Jimmy Page" syndrome...I think a lot of us have seen past interviews where guys like Eliot Scheiner have revealed this difference of opinion during a production...and rtbluray is right..as long as the band likes it..it's not going to change...I have given up hope on Rush and Led Zeppelin and moved on...it is what it is...
I guess you can't win them all. I was thinking the other day about how many 5.1 mixes we wouldn't have if Steven Wilson never took it up. I realized that if he had never gotten into surround mixing then the odds are pretty good that all the albums he's done would never have been done. One guy making such a difference.

Back