Steven Wilson Curious About Stand Up Jethro Tull

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nova

First off i just want to thank you for all the fantastic work you have done in the surround world ! I was curious as to why Stand Up was passed over? was it a tape issue ?
Tulls music is a great choice for 5.1 !
Thank you once again !

From Steven Wilson's latest update on his Remixes Facebook page:
While not confirmed, it's most likely the next Tull project will be to stop at 1976 for now, and go back to 1969 to remix the band's second album Stand Up.

(So maybe the tapes aren't missing after all! We'll find out soon enough I guess.) :)

That's cool news indeed.

Wonder why it was a secret 4 so long? And at this point, if most of it went Penteo.......I would not be bothered with that.

While not confirmed, it's most likely the next Tull project will be to stop at 1976 for now, and go back to 1969 to remix the band's second album Stand Up.

(So maybe the tapes aren't missing after all! We'll find out soon enough I guess.) :)

OH! Blimey.. :yikes RT, you're on a roll..!!!

This IS really great news if the multi's are indeed not missing but.. I'd rather have 5.1's of SFTWood and Heavy Horses now (purely selfish reasons!) and then Mr. W revisit Stand Up but I'll take em all whatever order they come in.. it would be very exciting if between SW and Jakko they get to remix the entire JT back catalogue (yes even some of that 80's sh!t.. I like some of that 80's sh!t.. ;) .. 5.1 would probably even help jump start the dreck.. come on guys lets campaign for all of Tull in 5.1..!? Haha.. :eek: )

To me this is great news, thanks RT

And who knows......perhaps we may even get TULL'S-THIS WAS in the not too distant future, er, a 2016-17?

And an equally unique surprise might be to get "LIVING IN THE PAST" someday even though we have a few of these tracks available already as bonus material amongst the prior releases.

Never say never with Steven Wilson's Tulls.

To me this is great news, thanks RT

And who knows......perhaps we may even get TULL'S-THIS WAS in the not too distant future, er, a 2016-17?

And an equally unique surprise might be to get "LIVING IN THE PAST" someday even though we have a few of these tracks available already as bonus material amongst the prior releases.

Never say never with Steven Wilson's Tulls.

Remixing and releasing an expanded version of "This Was" in surround is one thing, but not only do I think that "Living in the Past" (the compilation) will not be reissued in a remixed and expanded form, I also think it would be a complete waste of time and space to do so.
If the multitrack tapes exist for songs like "Living in the Past" and "Driving Song", then they will probably be remixed and released on the supposed forthcoming "Stand Up" reissue, whereas all songs on the other sides of the LITP compilation have either already been remixed or not due to the availability of the multitrack tapes.

I think the plan for next year sounds like it might be a remix of "Stand Up" in the Spring or Summer, followed by "Songs from the Wood" in the Fall. The former will benefit a lot more from a new stereo mix, while the latter will definitely benefit a lot more from a surround mix, but regardless, I think we should all be very happy with the way things are moving along for these Jethro Tull reissues! :)

That just brightens my day! :)

Remixing and releasing an expanded version of "This Was" in surround is one thing, but not only do I think that "Living in the Past" (the compilation) will not be reissued in a remixed and expanded form, I also think it would be a complete waste of time and space to do so.
If the multitrack tapes exist for songs like "Living in the Past" and "Driving Song", then they will probably be remixed and released on the supposed forthcoming "Stand Up" reissue, whereas all songs on the other sides of the LITP compilation have either already been remixed or not due to the availability of the multitrack tapes.

Yep. At this point we have sides 2,3,4 of LITP in 24/96 HD flat transfers. (The Carnegie Hall show is 24/48.) And about half the material remixed in 5.1
Witches Promise & Just Trying To Be multitracks missing is a bummer but at least the flat transfers of the stereo mixes are a serious improvement.
Not only that but the next two big compilation sets (20 Years & 25 Years) have been pretty well reworked with the 2nd discs from the Passion Play and War Child reissues.

Pretty happy about all this and actually kind of stunned to see tracks from the corners of obscure compilations and b-sides getting these surround remixes like this.

Yep. At this point we have sides 2,3,4 of LITP in 24/96 HD flat transfers. (The Carnegie Hall show is 24/48.) And about half the material remixed in 5.1
Witches Promise & Just Trying To Be multitracks missing is a bummer but at least the flat transfers of the stereo mixes are a serious improvement.
Not only that but the next two big compilation sets (20 Years & 25 Years) have been pretty well reworked with the 2nd discs from the Passion Play and War Child reissues.

Pretty happy about all this and actually kind of stunned to see tracks from the corners of obscure compilations and b-sides getting these surround remixes like this.

"Just Trying To Be" was remixed, but only in stereo, probably because there's not much to the song at all (just guitar, keyboard percussion, and vocals)

So if I understand you correctly.......

Steven Wilson should not pursue, if the opportunity should arise, a SURROUND EDITION of "Living In The Past" as we already have good stereo tracks from that album via the Stand Up-Carnegie edition???

Good stereo vs.surround, I don't know, I always prefer surround over stereo.

Steven Wilson should not pursue, if the opportunity should arise, a SURROUND EDITION of "Living In The Past" as we already have good stereo tracks from that album via the Stand Up-Carnegie edition???

"By Kind Permission Of" and "Dharma For One" from Carnegie Hall were both remixed in surround and stereo for the 2010 "Stand Up" Deluxe Edition, yet another reason why a surround edition of "Living in the Past" would be pointless.

And we have a nearly complete surround edition of it as well. It has already been done via the bonus tracks on the albums. The flat transfer stereo version is complete at this point (minus side one that is).

Now the 5.1 mix of the Carnegie show is in bad shape as it was only ever released in the very lossy legacy dts format. So you may want to put the stereo mixes (LPCM 24/48) in your playlist for those tracks. And of course you won't have the edits you are familiar with anymore either.

OK it looks like the multitracks for 6 songs are missing. So there's an album side's worth missing from the surround version after all.

"By Kind Permission Of" and "Dharma For One" from Carnegie Hall were both remixed in surround and stereo for the 2010 "Stand Up" Deluxe Edition, yet another reason why a surround edition of "Living in the Past" would be pointless.

Actually, those two live tracks from LIVING IN THE PAST are not at all worthwhile having, and that includes Carnegie's 5.1.
Thanks for remindng me about how terrible they sound.
But the rest of LITP yum, yum.......they are taste worthy for any surround gourmet.

Last edited:
Actually, those two live tracks from LIVING IN THE PAST are not at all worthwhile having, and that includes Carnegie's 5.1.
Thanks for remindng me about how terrible they sound.
But the rest of LITP yum, yum.......they are taste worthy for any surround gourmet.

You're quite welcome! I pulled out my "Stand Up" Deluxe Edition DVD and listened to those two tracks yesterday and realized what a bunch of dribble they really are. Nothing more than excuses for John Evan and Clive Bunker to bloviate on their instruments while Ian Anderson takes breaks to smoke his pipe! ;)

Let me run down why "Living in the Past" (the compilation) will not and should not be released as a remixed and expanded deluxe edition:

Side 1
"A Song for Jeffrey"
"Love Story"
"Christmas Song"
(All of these tracks were remixed in stereo for the "This Was" Deluxe Edition. A surround version of "This Was" with the added tracks would be the best way to get these out in surround.)

"Living in the Past"
"Driving Song"
"Bouree"
(If "Stand Up" is definitely going to be remixed and reissued in surround, "Living in the Past" and "Driving Song" will most definitely be remixed and included as well if the multitracks are available)

On Side 2 "Sweet Dream", "Singing All Day", "Teacher", "Inside", and "Just Trying to Be" have all been remixed already, while "Witch's Promise" has not due to missing tapes. We have already discussed what a load of dribble Side 3 is so onto Side 4.

On Side 4, "Wond'ring Again", "Life Is A Long Song", and "Up the Pool" have all been remixed already (even though "Wond'ring Again" is just stereo), while the other three tracks cannot be remixed due to missing tapes.

So besides the lack of "Wond'ring Again" in surround, it's just not worth it IMO to release a remixed and expanded edition of "Living in the Past" when they could just as easily release remixed and expanded editions of both "This Was" and "Stand Up" to fill the gaps.

I look forward to compiling LitP together should Wilson remix This Was especially for 5.1. I have always had this sinking suspicion that the multitracks for The Witches Promise could be with the Stand Up multitracks for some wishful thinking kinda reasoning lol.

If not all the multis are available, I do hope A New Day Yesterday isn't one of the casualties too. Just liking the idea right now of hearing how cleaned up that song would sound. We shall find out soon fingers crossed.

As for what's already released, I do hope the content from the 2nd CD of Aqualung gets re-released like the actual album on HDtracks back in May. Sure 3 of those tracks weren't remixed and I never bought the big Boxset either, so to have that album reissued in hardbook format like the albums that followed would be a dream come true. ?

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

And another thing regarding compilations, I recently put together The Pineapple Thief's 3000 Days compilation although this time I used the tracks from the remixed studio albums which all sound fabulous. Sure there is still one more song to complete the entire compilation which is Private Paradise as the debut album to be now referred to as 'Abducted at Birth (it's originally intended title),' still hasn't received a release date.

I look forward to compiling LitP together should Wilson remix This Was especially for 5.1. I have always had this sinking suspicion that the multitracks for The Witches Promise could be with the Stand Up multitracks for some wishful thinking kinda reasoning lol.

If not all the multis are available, I do hope A New Day Yesterday isn't one of the casualties too. Just liking the idea right now of hearing how cleaned up that song would sound. We shall find out soon fingers crossed.

As for what's already released, I do hope the content from the 2nd CD of Aqualung gets re-released like the actual album on HDtracks back in May. Sure 3 of those tracks weren't remixed and I never bought the big Boxset either, so to have that album reissued in hardbook format like the albums that followed would be a dream come true. ��

If for some reason the multitracks for "Witch's Promise" are found with the multitracks for "Stand Up", then they should absolutely remix it in stereo and surround and include it in the upcoming "Stand Up" reissue. I just wouldn't bother upmixing it though for any release seeing as how it's a non-album track that doesn't really belong on "Stand Up" anyway.
Now if there are indeed some multitrack tapes missing for certain songs on "Stand Up", then I am definitely in favor of upmixing the missing tracks so that the proper album sequence can be maintained.
I also hope that they recovered the multitracks for "Living in the Past" (the song) and "Driving Song", but I'm particularly interested in the former. If they have not, I wouldn't bother upmixing those either, seeing as how they are also non-album tracks like "Witch's Promise".

Back