Windows 10 and audio gotchas

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winopener

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Since sooner or later every win* user will move to 10, also thanks to the free upgrade for 7/8 users, would be good to have a share of experience about stereo/mch audio stuff in w10.

I will start with Adobe Audition 3 and Windows 10:
Install: no problem.
Work: must be set to run as Windows XP in the Compatibility tab, other wise it will complain about not finding any audio device and quit.
Graphically is a bit slow on rendering some pages (effects...) but it's going ok.

Anything else?

I did my Windows 8.1 laptop and brought it up to Windows 10. It's very nice, but you HAVE to go to Start/Settings/Privacy and shut everything off. This is a must.

While you are doing it (there are like 15 pages of stuff to turn off), you will be shocked at what you 'agreed' to. Trust me, check it out.

Other than that, it's very nice. However, I won't be rushing to do my 'big music PC' anytime soon. Everything works and I'm not going to screw that up! :confused:

Worked like a breeze over here. I only use my PC for playback and spend most of my time in Ubuntu, but Windows 10 had no problems with any of my audio equipment. Well, except for 2 blue-screen crashes right at the beginning, both happened right after I turned on my Yamaha 7.1 receiver (which is connected to my graphics card over HDMI). Never happened again since.

No auto upgrade for Snood's Emachine running Windows Me, but it does have Pentium 4 processor :banana:

Just kidding

But still do have that setup on an old PC runs fine lol

Snood loves Win 7 too much to upgrade right now. Hated Win 8 and 8.1

I tried Windows 8 but the internet wouldn't work with it, even though it showed full signal strength. So I deleted the partition.

No auto upgrade for Snood's Emachine running Windows Me, but it does have Pentium 4 processor :banana:

Just kidding

But still do have that setup on an old PC runs fine lol

Snood loves Win 7 too much to upgrade right now. Hated Win 8 and 8.1

I never used W8 at all but W10 is fine if you take care of your privacy settings, you can make a system copy of your W7 and if you don't like 10 just reinstall your system copy. Just an idea :couch

My "music lap-top" is running on Windows 10 for a few days now and everything works like a charm. I noticed a slightly quicker start-up and shut-down which is good :).

Definitely some performance improvements here with Windows 10. Especially with the desktop PC.

Sticking with Windows 7 here. Would upgrade....but the elimination of windows media center makes it a no go, as that leaves me without the ability to easily use my network tv tuner.

Well, for the "big music pc" there's no change anytime soon, but i've got serious problem on my work laptop (fan failure, overheating, shutdown... and no new fan to replace the failing one) so i got a Acer Switch with 8.1... and i got it just because there was the upgrade to w10, i hate the w8 interface (MS Bob was way better!). So far nearly everything seems to run correctly, the only problem - and it was already on 8.1 from what i read on the net, but working ok in 7 - are the usb tv tuner that crashes badly the system.

I upgraded my big music PC from Win 8.1 to 10 last week. I did it 'in place' which 'converted' my PC to 10 without requiring any reinstall of programs.

Initially the upgrade failed when doing it via Windows update. Worked fine from a Win 10 install ISO.

I was surprised at how long it took, thought it would be quite quick. My C drive and two temp drives are Samsung SSD drives (music conversion very fast and almost instant startup). Plenty of spare space and it took about an hour.

Seems to be working fine, although I haven't used all my apps yet.

Windows 8 and 10 are so much faster than 7. Can't understand why anyone is staying with 7.

I never used W8 at all but W10 is fine if you take care of your privacy settings, you can make a system copy of your W7 and if you don't like 10 just reinstall your system copy. Just an idea :couch

Thanks Jan, but Snood all about the ain't broke don't fix lol

I've had no problems with any programs not working at all. Seems to run very smooth and the transition from 7 to 10 was really easy.

Back