Windows 10 and audio gotchas

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not anytime soon win10 for me. so far from reviews sound like this OS is biggest ever created spyware.
i'll wait for more workaround tricks and tweaks. for now still with win 8.1 on main PC, albeit from very
beginning do hate this freaking icons and all that crap. took me awhile to redo/tweak for looks and feels
like classic windows and work out replacement for absent start menu.
on laptop still win7 and another older laptop in garage still run winXP

Windows 8 and 10 are so much faster than 7. Can't understand why anyone is staying with 7.

Because Microsoft always wastes my time. My main Windows "machine" is a virtual installation that I just use for e-mail and Quicken. I set it up that way so I could back up the entire machine easily. At some point a few years back, Windows Update (as with so many Windows things) simply stopped working. None of the suggested fixes I could find worked. I finally just gave up, backed up my data and completely re-installed. I attempted to update that to 10 but got an error message about an unavailable directory or something (?). I figured I needed to apply all the missing updates, so I attempted to do so. It choked and ran out of disk space, so I had to delete the entire installation and start again. I then did a few months' worth of updates at a time until I finally had a fully up-to-date system. At this point I had installed none of my own software and had made no modifications, so I had a clean, modern system. So I again tried to update to 10. Same error.

Muck Ficrosoft.

Just download it and make a dvd or usb pendrive, it's a lot easier that way and you can do other machines without dl again each time the os.

Just download it and make a dvd or usb pendrive, it's a lot easier that way and you can do other machines without dl again each time the os.

That's exactly what I did to begin with. At some point when I feel like risking further frustration, I may try the alternative method.

Rumor says that once you convert your Windows 7 license to a Windows 10 license, you can use the DVD to perform a clean install of 10.

I got my free Windows 10, but how would I upgrade it to Windows 10 PRO? Don't tell me go to the Microsoft store. They don't have the upgrade, just the full version. Same with Amazon. Just the full version.

I have a 5 year old Acer i5-650 3.2GHz system with 8GB DDR. I did the Windows 10 Home upgrade when it was released and it 'mostly' works! I turned off all the intrusive settings to maximise privacy. It does seem faster to boot up and load most programs.

However, I have had my USB Lightscribe DVD-Writer, Blu-ray Writer, and a couple of my networked printers mysteriously lose their drivers, and I even had it tell me I didn't have a graphics card so defaulted to basic display mode, yet I could see the onboard graphics software and driver. I've also found that neither IE11 or the ghastly new IE Edge work very well with a lot of websites, they are very sluggish, and often take 20-30 seconds per link to load if there are video or other links on the page. So its an upgrade which I often find quite frustrating.

I found this explanation on how to go from W10 Home to Pro.

http://www.windowscentral.com/how-upgrade-windows-10-pro

I found the same thing later on. Works great and takes Paypal.

I have a 5 year old Acer i5-650 3.2GHz system with 8GB DDR...I've also found that neither IE11 or the ghastly new IE Edge work very well with a lot of websites, they are very sluggish, and often take 20-30 seconds per link to load if there are video or other links on the page. So its an upgrade which I often find quite frustrating.
Go with Firefox or Chrome for browsers. Edge works fine for me though, even when playing videos.

Upgrading your Windows 10 to Windows 10 Pro is easily done within Windows, however it still costs $99.00 US.

Go to START/SETTINGS/UPDATE & SECURITY/ACTIVATION and select CHANGE PRODUCT KEY

From there just follow the instructions and the upgrade takes place right then and there (after you pay of course)

I did not find anywhere on the internet that sold the "Windows 10 Pro Pack", which probably does not yet exist.

Upgrading your Windows 10 to Windows 10 Pro is easily done within Windows, however it still costs $99.00 US.

Go to START/SETTINGS/UPDATE & SECURITY/ACTIVATION and select CHANGE PRODUCT KEY

From there just follow the instructions and the upgrade takes place right then and there (after you pay of course)

I did not find anywhere on the internet that sold the "Windows 10 Pro Pack", which probably does not yet exist.
I had Windows 7 Ultimate and it was automatically updated to Windows 10 pro with no additional charge.

Very afraid to change my music pc workstation from vista as everything works so like someone else said if it aint broken why fix it. I attempted to upgrade my 8 at the office and it freaked out, uncontrollable flashing screen. Had to get IT guy to roll it back for me.

No free upgrade for Vista anyway. I have a Vista Business computer I wouldn't mind updating but it wouldn't be worth the fee.

Very afraid to change my music pc workstation from vista as everything works so like someone else said if it aint broken why fix it. I attempted to upgrade my 8 at the office and it freaked out, uncontrollable flashing screen. Had to get IT guy to roll it back for me.

Most people are upgrading because it's free until July 2016. However in your case you would have to pay. Only Window 7 (Service Pack 1) and Windows 8 are eligible for the free upgrade.

I see cupboy beat me to the punch!

so i tried out Win 10 with all bunch of tweaks to disable plenty of background tasks. sadly seems still no way
to get rid of Cortana and Windefender. another disappointment - Start menu. albeit it's back, you don't have much
of control over it. there are no way to create subfolders to sort your installations in particular and convenient for
user configuration.
another huge upset for me, an attempt to install DTS HDMA suite turned out bad. installation itself went ok. but when
i try run it, the task manager shows it runs but no freaking GUI at all. curious if anyone bumped into similar issue?

The only solution to get rid of Cortana & Edge is to install a LTSB version (Long Term Support Business). Tried other ways, it disintegrate something else along with Cortana.

Jan, what is the version you're using?

I've just had an automatic Windows update and it wiped out my Cirlinca HD-Audio activation, so had to reactivate (luckily stored the Key!), IE11 settings, plus a few others, and I can't get it to now accept my previous IE11 settings - says its applied them but hasn't. I'm mucho annoyed :flame

Back