Windows 10 and audio gotchas

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have Windows 10 Pro, you can disable Cortana with the Group Policy Editor. Like this:

Press WindowsKey + R to get the run box

Enter the program gpedit.msc

Browse to: Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Search

Find "Allow Cortana"

Doubleclick and disable.

DONE - D U N, DUN! :)

If you have Windows 10 Pro, you can disable Cortana with the Group Policy Editor. Like this:

Press WindowsKey + R to get the run box

Enter the program gpedit.msc

Browse to: Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Search

Find "Allow Cortana"

Doubleclick and disable.

DONE - D U N, DUN! :)

Jon, that does not remove Cortana but does exactly what i described above.

in regard of my question DTS HDMA suite on Win10 i assume no one uses it?

Just upgraded my studio PC that was Win7 Ultimate to Win 10 Pro with seemingly no problems. I have disabled most of the obvious crap and generally it seems to run as well as Win 7 did. I did install an alternate shell to make the Start menu more resemble Win 7. Everything so far works, even Audition 3.0 as before

I don't know if this is the same in the US but in Europe a much cheaper way to get legitimate Windows 10 Pro, if you don't mind doing a re-install, is to use one of the many companies selling ex OEM licenses for Windows 7 or 8 which you have to install then upgrade. They'll send you a legitimate key and a letter of transfer stating that the (usually old corporate) machine it was on has been decommissioned and destroyed and explaining which terms in the licensing agreement they're using to transfer ownership of the license. I did this for one of my systems. It worked fine, and cost about 1/3 of the price.

I recently went to Windows 10 which, due to a clash its analytics didn't pick up, wouldn't recognise my DVD drive until I uninstalled some other software. Recently I got a blue screen of death announcing a reboot and during this the laptop just stopped functioning. Long story short, I connected hard drive elsewhere, reverted back to Windows 7, and the laptop fired up.

EDIT: This could be a coincidental hardware failure. I've had some rebooting and failing back on Windows 7 now too.

Last edited:
Just upgraded my studio PC that was Win7 Ultimate to Win 10 Pro with seemingly no problems. I have disabled most of the obvious crap and generally it seems to run as well as Win 7 did. I did install an alternate shell to make the Start menu more resemble Win 7. Everything so far works, even Audition 3.0 as before

Some special settings for Audition3? I had to use a compatibility mode otherwise it wouldn't find any audio adapetr.

Some special settings for Audition3? I had to use a compatibility mode otherwise it wouldn't find any audio adapetr.

I did nothing other than the upgrade. Unless it is only the Pro upgrade that works for this problem? My default sound device is an M Audio Delta 1010 using ASIO drivers (from memory). I don't use normal sound so the Windows audio service is disabled from auto start but can be started manually. I've tried that and that still works as well

Thank for the tip, will investigate further.
As a side project, i'm trying to cut to the bone a 50$ W10 tablet (1gb ram, 16gb ssd, 7inch) for 2ch-flac network music player only with USB dac. I have played a lot with streaming devices of all kind and had been stuck in a lot of ways... the total versatility of Foobar 2000 is still incredible.
OOTB the tablet does works well with the aid of a rj45/usb adapter, with wifi it sucks deeply... too much processes involved (quite predictable) so a slimmed down version would cut it ok.

i installed AA3 and so far haven't had problems. i just checked and it seems during the installation AA3 was installed in Vista compatibility mode (x64)

Back