Listening to Stereo SACDs on Oppo Disc Players

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skherbeck

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Styx "Paradise Theater" from AF... Thought I would try out a stereo SACD; I guess I've been spoiled by multichannel music, because this sounds good (no compression), but I'm wishing this was in surround! Technical question: my OPPO will only output SACD as PCM (if I set the output to DSD, there's no sound)...I guess my receiver can't handle DSD. Am I missing out on significantly better sound from my SACDs?

Styx "Paradise Theater" from AF... Thought I would try out a stereo SACD; I guess I've been spoiled by multichannel music, because this sounds good (no compression), but I'm wishing this was in surround! Technical question: my OPPO will only output SACD as PCM (if I set the output to DSD, there's no sound)...I guess my receiver can't handle DSD. Am I missing out on significantly better sound from my SACDs?
Why not use the analog outputs?

That's how I use the Oppo. Playback SACD in DSD mode and then output to Analog and on to the Preamp.

Thanks, I'll try that next; I've been messing around all night trying to play SACD in DSD via HDMI and I'm getting nowhere! But this Styx SACD sounds great even when output as PCM... I may have to buy a few more stereo SACDs (but only if the album isn't available in surround!)

Thanks, I'll try that next; I've been messing around all night trying to play SACD in DSD via HDMI and I'm getting nowhere! But this Styx SACD sounds great even when output as PCM... I may have to buy a few more stereo SACDs (but only if the album isn't available in surround!)

Did you ever figure this one out? You need to set DSD in the player's menu and your AVR or Pre-Pro has to be able to output DSD. If not, your AVR or Pre-Pro will covert to PCM automatically. Also, are you using Bass Management with your AVR / Pre-Pro? If so, that too will convert DSD to PCM unless you set your main speakers to "Large", not "Small". :)

Did you ever figure this one out? You need to set DSD in the player's menu and your AVR or Pre-Pro has to be able to output DSD. If not, your AVR or Pre-Pro will covert to PCM automatically. Also, are you using Bass Management with your AVR / Pre-Pro? If so, that too will convert DSD to PCM unless you set your main speakers to "Large", not "Small". :)

Never resolved this. When I set the SACD output on my Oppo to "auto", my receiver says "PCM" and the music plays fine. When I set the SACD output to "DSD", no music comes out. The weird thing is that the receiver manual says (under the heading "HDMI Compatibility") that it can handle DSD 2/5.1ch, 2.8224 MHz, 1bit. It also says the HDMI compatibility is based on HDMI version 1.2a. My Oppo is connected to my receiver via HDMI. My receiver is a Yamaha RX-V661. Ill check the bass management setting later today... thanks for the advice.

No. You should still be getting sound with Bass MGMT. Try forcing the player to output DSD instead of "Auto". What player do you have? Make sure it's outputting 1080P resolution in the main menu. Or, try the resolution button at the bottom left side of the remote. I bet that may be the problem. :)

Never resolved this. When I set the SACD output on my Oppo to "auto", my receiver says "PCM" and the music plays fine. When I set the SACD output to "DSD", no music comes out. The weird thing is that the receiver manual says (under the heading "HDMI Compatibility") that it can handle DSD 2/5.1ch, 2.8224 MHz, 1bit. It also says the HDMI compatibility is based on HDMI version 1.2a. My Oppo is connected to my receiver via HDMI. My receiver is a Yamaha RX-V661. Ill check the bass management setting later today... thanks for the advice.

I read an article that said you have to use the Oppo's HDMI 2 port to transmit DSD from the Oppo to your receiver. The HDMI 1 port will not transmit DSD. There was no date on the article but you could quickly test this.

This thread covers experiences of QQ members listening to Stereo SACDs on an Oppo Universal Disc Player.

Thanks for starting this thread! I've had my BDP-105 for 1 1/2 year now and I love it to bits. No major issues yet and I'll keep an eye on this thread in case I need tips and assistance.

I'll change my SACD playback settings from PCM to DSD right away! Had forgotten about that.

I read an article that said you have to use the Oppo's HDMI 2 port to transmit DSD from the Oppo to your receiver. The HDMI 1 port will not transmit DSD. There was no date on the article but you could quickly test this.

I have confirmed this is the case on my oppo BDP-95

Back