Involve CD4....Is there any life in it????

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chucky3042

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Dear surround extremists

On another thread "Quadwreck" raised the topic of CD4 demodulators. I semi jokingly mentioned we would do it for US$100,000, even though I was joking the price was right in terms of a development and supply.

So far we have 4 takers - making the per unit cost US$25,000 each (a bargain), I suspect this might be a little too high for most members of this forum.

I have no commercial interest in any promotion of this dead format but I do admit it would be nice to complete the loop and do it anyway. Lou Dorren (RIP) attempted to get this going before he became ill...see:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?9035-Lou-Dorren-A-new-CD-4-Demodulator!!!

Lets do a poll of how many QQ members would buy one of these, if we get 200 takers world wide suddenly the price would be $500 each- a more realistic figure.

My best guess is we will get 20 takers, making the price $5000 each- not a proposition!

If by some miracle we get 200 takers we will do the development (on 30% deposit) and if someone can find out Lou Dorren's next of kin we will send a 10% royalty to his family. We would call it the Involve - Dorren CD4. We would also update the process and take some bugs out of it.

So I will tally up the numbers and post the figure and effective price. Feel free to post here or PM me.

Call me crazy

Chucky

Count me in also. What a gift I you guys are able to pull this of.

Would it be cheaper or feasible to incorporate cd4 decoding into an updated involve unit?

IM in

On another thread "Quadwreck" raised the topic of CD4 demodulators. I semi jokingly mentioned we would do it for US$100,000, even though I was joking the price was right in terms of a development and supply.

So far we have 4 takers - making the per unit cost US$25,000 each (a bargain), I suspect this might be a little too high for most members of this forum.

I have no commercial interest in any promotion of this dead format but I do admit it would be nice to complete the loop and do it anyway. Lou Dorren (RIP) attempted to get this going before he became ill...see:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?9035-Lou-Dorren-A-new-CD-4-Demodulator!!!

Lets do a poll of how many QQ members would buy one of these, if we get 200 takers world wide suddenly the price would be $500 each- a more realistic figure.

My best guess is we will get 20 takers, making the price $5000 each- not a proposition!

If by some miracle we get 200 takers we will do the development (on 30% deposit) and if someone can find out Lou Dorren's next of kin we will send a 10% royalty to his family. We would call it the Involve - Dorren CD4. We would also update the process and take some bugs out of it.

So I will tally up the numbers and post the figure and effective price. Feel free to post here or PM me.

Call me crazy

Chucky[/QUOTE]

First thing can anybody get Lou Dorren plans for the Demodulator?

Next does any body know how many were ordered ?

And of course I would Buy one

Dear surround wacko's

This is really getting interesting. In answer to the fine questions, we would incorporate all features as suggested by QQ members if practical.
I think Bigbillquad is right that we will need to promote this concept to friends, relatives and enemies far and wide if we are to get the numbers to make it economically viable.

As for you Rustyandi, I knew we would get you in on this!! If anyone has the schematics of Lou's great work, I would be pleased to check it out and see if it is suitable for manufacture and if it looks like it will work well. If it is just a case of doing a PCB design and encapsulation the price would be more like:

US$20,000/ number of buyers + (component cost + assembly + Lou's family commission + as small profit for us greedy Involve capitalists).

So YES lets find the schematics!!!!!! This sounds like fun.

OK the tally so far is 16 volunteers - given if we do the R+D that translates to $100,000 / 16 = $6,250 each. Hmmmm still a tad expensive me thinks. If we can get Lou's correct schematics its more like $1,520.

Lets see if we can increase the number of buyers and search for Lou's work. I think it is possible to achieve say $500 with a bit of team effort.

Yours in a surround rapture

Chucky

Back