Involve CD4....Is there any life in it????

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 511
I remember, at the time I signed up for one, not knowing where I was going to get the 500 bucks for it but I would have found a way.

Doug

Meanwhile I am feeling, that the Involve demodulator will have the same fate as the item from Lou Dorren. Too long waiting means some less interess, because less fans.

Dietrich

This is the mock-up (snif).

Hi,

Ok, even if it's quite a bit more nerdy-techy looking than the red "CD-4" light bulb on a Beogram display, I would get one if it's less than $500 USD and could be equally easily connected to different systems as Involve's SQSM. :)

So one new customer born, but I know I am not in a big crowd. most people I have talked to about quad just shook their heads... :confused:

Still interested as stated earlier,

Big Al mentioned earlier that this would just be a modulator and not a full blown phono pre-amp? Is that true? Would be great to use our best gear ahead of a stand alone dmod.

Still interested as stated earlier,

Big Al mentioned earlier that this would just be a modulator and not a full blown phono pre-amp? Is that true? Would be great to use our best gear ahead of a stand alone dmod.

Take a look at Chucky's post ( dated 7-21-16 ) commenting on my thoughts about what the CD-4 demodulator will look like and what it will consist of.

We haven't heard from Chucky in almost a year, wondering how Involve is doing ?.

Last edited:
Maybe no response or updates from Chucky or Overture on this subject in a while, but they're both still active on the forum, even this month.

The boys over at Involve have been busy with their core products, and with the second generation Surround Master. With the demodulator distinctly a hobby project for Chucky, we'll all have to keep biting our nails while waiting.

I started a conversation ( what used to be a PM ) with Chucky asking what the status was with the CD-4 Demod. As soon as I receive a reply I'll share it with everyone or he may just post a reply. Stay tuned.

As promised, here’s the reply from Chucky.
“ Hi Allan

Sorry I have not read my PM recently. The CD 4 thing is still on our books, it's just that we are so overloaded at the moment. It will be at least a year before we have time.

Regards

Charlie “

A further reply from Chucky to my conversation. Maybe Involve isn’t done after all.
“ Hi BigAIT

Sorry I have been a bit distracted and I am travelling to China this weekend. We will tackle the CD4 demodulator but we are completely snowed under with a number of projects. It will happen but we want to complete

1 The "Sinn " box.....more on this one later
2 The new Surround master pre amplifier
3 Our studio monitor Electrostatic speaker

Regards

Chucky “

How about using the JVC 4DD-5 circuit design, but substituting (much sharper w/less phase shift)
DSP based low pass (baseband) and bandpass (carrier) filters.

AFAIK, the JVC circuit design was meant to be shared with other manufacturers and was used
in the Marantz CD-400.

(could be called the Involve 4DD-5 CD-4 Decoder)

Kirk Bayne

Some other options for a new Hardware CD-4 Decoder
based on the JVC 4DD-5 circuit design:

Limiters for the carriers (eliminates the need for a
carrier level control)

Switchable automatic/manual front/back separation
(using the system devised by Panasonic/Technics)

Kirk Bayne

A CD-4 Decoder is just an FM demodulator followed by
deemphasis, ANRS decoding and then the sum and
difference matrix to extract the 4 Quad signals, IMHO,
the 4DD-5 circuit design is as good as any.

Kirk Bayne

Back