Involve CD4....Is there any life in it????

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in as well .. I already own Surround Master SQ ..would prefer separate unit ..but I'm ok either way . Assume the demodulator would do necessary phono pre amp function as well ? Would it have carrier level and separation controls or would it be all automatic (hopefully) ?

- Steve

I'm in as well .. I already own Surround Master SQ ..would prefer separate unit ..but I'm ok either way . Assume the demodulator would do necessary phono pre amp function as well ? Would it have carrier level and separation controls or would it be all automatic (hopefully) ?

- Steve

Hi sjcorne

We will try to make it as automatic as possible, still thinking about the details. I hope to make a start late this year.

Regards

Chucky

- Steve

I assume ( though you know what that may mean ) that since Chucky said that to make the cost fit within the $500 a unit figure he's aiming for he needs to base it on a modified SM platform which does not have a pre amp, that the Involve CD-4 Demod wouldn't have a pre amp.
Al

Correct!

I assume ( though you know what that may mean ) that since Chucky said that to make the cost fit within the $500 a unit figure he's aiming for he needs to base it on a modified SM platform which does not have a pre amp, that the Involve CD-4 Demod wouldn't have a pre amp.
Al

Re "half-speed" playing, I found this today:

How to do 78rpm with Pro-Ject turntables

The pulley can be used as an intermediate to reduce the playing speed, placed, say, on a second motor (unpowered) and a base.

It really doesn't matter if the playback speed in not halved exactly, as long as it is compensated correctly in software.

Now if only the Involve unit design includes a digital 24/96 input!!

[QUOTE\] Now if only the Involve unit design includes a digital 24/96 input [/QUOTE]

Since CD4 is almost exclusively a vinyl media source, it seems highly unlikely that any inputs besides Phono will be provided on the Involve CD4 decoder.

Al

In for all quad improvements and potential new equipment. Would definitely be interested for this at around $500.

Hi. All

Found this novel vid on youtube about some one interested in recording & decoding captured CD-4 music of the LP to computer from software..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vX28oEKELI

OMG....now THAT right there is exactly what I've been looking for.

Time to rebuild my recording PC, and once the trains stop running tonight, some vinyl is getting recorded in.

OMG....now THAT right there is exactly what I've been looking for.

Time to rebuild my recording PC, and once the trains stop running tonight, some vinyl is getting recorded in.

The libraries for FM demodulating seem to be available at the SDR# site. That could be useful for someone who knows what to do with them (not me).

The issue literally at the end is applying ANRS in software.

An in-between option is having a digital input in the Involve decoder that can take digital recordings, perhaps made at half-speed and pre-processed to some extent, and do the processing beyond one point, including ANRS. It remains to be seen if Involve can do ANRS in their signal processing.

The big problem with SDR# is the lack of ability to export. It can record what it is playing back in realtime, but that means not having an exact starting point to easily line it up with the original source. After a few hours of playing around, I got this, not perfect, but demonstrates the possibilities. Asking around, someone suggested gnuradio would be better at batch stuff, but it's learning curve is "pretty much a vertical wall". I downladed gnuradio, and....I don't know what to do with the files I have, there's no executable, so....yeah......

Anyways, here's a small sample for fair use demonstration purposes to show the possibilities, https://www.dropbox.com/s/5z3qqd0fafby9ri/AWB pieces software decode sample.wav?dl=0

Back