Involve CD4....Is there any life in it????

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just picked up my involve surround master a few minutes ago. I'm very late to this party but I'm very interested in CD4 also. :)

Dear Involve folks:

I officially pledge to purchase a Surround Master CD-4 from you, under the following conditions:
1. It gets to my house under $750 all-in.
2. It handles SQ/QS as well.
3. I can easily find some trustworthy, independent reviews showing that it performs as good or better at decoding than the usual suspects of vintage gear (a little vague, I know; but I won't be a tough sell).

In case any of the above is in question or borderline, potential deal-sweeteners include:
1. 1U rack mounting kit
2. Customer loyalty credit for upgrading from the current Surround Master
3. Balanced inputs/outputs
4. Autosensing of the source signal to select proper output mode; or wireless remote control (you could simply incorporate an RF or IR receiver and a control set for universal remotes; no need to include a physical remote)
5. RS-422 (or RS-232 if you must)
6. Digital out or USB or RJ-45 for easy ripping

I am going to purchase the current Surround Master in a few weeks, after I move to a new house, because I know it takes current revenue to fund R&D. Keep on truckin'!

Hi Jazzop
I will keep your thoughts in mind but it looks expensive. I will keep you guys informed when we start.
Things have been delayed a bit here for a few weeks as Overture has been ill with 2 operations and the loss of his mother. In addition as some of you may know our offices are in a shared arrangement with a larger manufacturing factory. Unfortunately they (not us) have been placed in liquidation and in the process the bloody liquidator has locked us out and not given us access to our own equipment.

I am getting really close to shoving my size 16 shoes (yes they are that big) in the door and forcibly removing our equipment! Also we are shopping for a new happy home.

Other than that, all is well ish.

Regards

Chucky

Wow.. Chucky.. :yikes

man.. I am so sorry to hear.. Please pass on my condolences for his loss and best wishes for a full and speedy recovery to David.. and what an utter load of shit for you and all at Involve to be going through in a whole different way :(

Hopefully you will be able to resolve everything before too long. We need you to survive and thrive!
(no pressure :eek: ).

All the best,
keeping everything crossed for you guys, including eyes (ouch) :upthumb
FB (Adam)

Ps. Just a thought (i'm sure you've explored it already but..) is there any viability in taking over the entire premises including the bit from the other lot that went tits up?
My old bosses did that years ago, taking the 1st floor off another firm who went bust while they occupied the other 3 floors and once they'd filled the whole building, they went from strength to strength in so doing, winning Oscars, doing the Olympics, Meerkats, the lot.. it seemed clients took them more seriously than ever before when they had the whole place to themselves. Maybe just a coincidence they suddenly went into the stratosphere.. and may not be relevant to your business which is of a different nature of course.. but just thought i'd briefly mention it.

Hi Chucky,
sorry to hear all the sad news. Please also pass on my heartfelt condolences to David and let him know that there are a lot of people out here wishing him a full recovery.
Soundfield.

Hi All

I shall pass on your best wishes, good news is the tests are now good for Dave. It been a rough few months for all as my mother died in July at 92 from Alzheimer's closely followed by my dog and cat, kinda makes you reflect on things a bit.

We are busy raising investor funding at the moment and I feel sure good things will happen soon. In regards to being locked out of our own offices its been that way for over a week and we are all working from home (Dave "'Overture" is back on board tomorrow). We have offered to pay the landlord $10,000 per month rental for our premisis but they are blocked by the liquidator at the moment. Its a really nasty situation as - for example I have a set of $10K Nakamichi dragon electrostatic speakers (we designed years ago) that we have modified for a customer (fully paid for and owned by the customer) all locked up, I feel really bad for the customer about this. Fortunately he is very understanding and we share a love of CCR and swamp music.

In addition all our stock including Surround Masters is also locked up. I think we will close the deal on new independent office/ factory in the next few days and be away from all the crap. It pisses me off as I kicked in $66K of personal funds back in November to keep the other factory going and keep 20 jobs. Looks like I have lost my funds!

But just confirming to all, we are secure and we still have a full team. We will eventually deliver!

Onwards Excelsior

Chucky

Very sad to hear that things are so rough for you and your team at the moment. Best wishes to you all. Positive vibes going your way from Quebec City.

Hi All

I shall pass on your best wishes, good news is the tests are now good for Dave. It been a rough few months for all as my mother died in July at 92 from Alzheimer's closely followed by my dog and cat, kinda makes you reflect on things a bit.

We are busy raising investor funding at the moment and I feel sure good things will happen soon. In regards to being locked out of our own offices its been that way for over a week and we are all working from home (Dave "'Overture" is back on board tomorrow). We have offered to pay the landlord $10,000 per month rental for our premisis but they are blocked by the liquidator at the moment. Its a really nasty situation as - for example I have a set of $10K Nakamichi dragon electrostatic speakers (we designed years ago) that we have modified for a customer (fully paid for and owned by the customer) all locked up, I feel really bad for the customer about this. Fortunately he is very understanding and we share a love of CCR and swamp music.

In addition all our stock including Surround Masters is also locked up. I think we will close the deal on new independent office/ factory in the next few days and be away from all the crap. It pisses me off as I kicked in $66K of personal funds back in November to keep the other factory going and keep 20 jobs. Looks like I have lost my funds!

But just confirming to all, we are secure and we still have a full team. We will eventually deliver!

Onwards Excelsior

Chucky

Fuck... :(

Sure puts things into perspective..

Big good luck hugs for you, dig your size 16's in mate, you will turn this around..
from a mega fan of your work on the other side of the world
(you have no idea the sheer joy that Surround Master brings me every day)

(((((((((((((Chucky & All @Involve))))))))))))))

I'm definitely interested as well. As I have considered (but not had time to) developing something similar (digital). Here are my thoughts:

I would opt for 192KHz sampling. FM demod in the digital domain can be tricky. Guys better than I have stumbled badly on it. The best approach seems to be using a quadrature signal (zero IF at the 30 kHz carrier frequency) and differentiating it. Differentiation needs extra bandwidth to do cleanly (see Lyons: "Understanding Digital Signal Processing", page 760).

For my purposes, I got started in this as a way of "ripping" my LPs to digital. While I owned a AT14SA and a demodulator, I didn't actually own any CD-4 discs, but I have since bought some. So for me, being able to get output in a digital form is an absolute requirement. Vinyl is both bulky and fragile and I want to preserve my collection (around 200) by converting them to digital. My original goal was nothing more than a good quality way to digitize stereo LPs, but now 4 channel has become a part of this.

Without igniting the analog versus digital debate, if digital is done right (and that's not 16 bits at 44.1 kHz) it can be totally transparent. Done right is at least 48 kHz (for stereo) and 24 bits. Of course there are other issues on both the analog and digital side, but what has given digital a bad name is consumer price point value engineering, given that a lot of people don't care that much about quality (as long as they can FEEL the bass). MP3, of course with its lossy compression is the worst culprit, but many people can hear the compromises made in CDs.

I'm definitely interested as well. As I have considered (but not had time to) developing something similar (digital). Here are my thoughts:

I would opt for 192KHz sampling. FM demod in the digital domain can be tricky. Guys better than I have stumbled badly on it. The best approach seems to be using a quadrature signal (zero IF at the 30 kHz carrier frequency) and differentiating it. Differentiation needs extra bandwidth to do cleanly (see Lyons: "Understanding Digital Signal Processing", page 760).

For my purposes, I got started in this as a way of "ripping" my LPs to digital. While I owned a AT14SA and a demodulator, I didn't actually own any CD-4 discs, but I have since bought some. So for me, being able to get output in a digital form is an absolute requirement. Vinyl is both bulky and fragile and I want to preserve my collection (around 200) by converting them to digital. My original goal was nothing more than a good quality way to digitize stereo LPs, but now 4 channel has become a part of this.

Without igniting the analog versus digital debate, if digital is done right (and that's not 16 bits at 44.1 kHz) it can be totally transparent. Done right is at least 48 kHz (for stereo) and 24 bits. Of course there are other issues on both the analog and digital side, but what has given digital a bad name is consumer price point value engineering, given that a lot of people don't care that much about quality (as long as they can FEEL the bass). MP3, of course with its lossy compression is the worst culprit, but many people can hear the compromises made in CDs.

Apart from the obvious advantages regarding tracking and the use of conventional cartridges, cables etc., would there be an advantage/disadvantage in doing the processing with files from rips at half-speed (16 1/6 rpm)?

I find hard to believe that there is not a software library somewhere that can be used for FM-demodulating of CD-4 signals.

Thanks!

Hi All

Onwards Excelsior

Chucky

Is this it ?

http://hymans.com.au/pcb-manufacturing-electrical-testing-liquidation-auction/

Looks like they are not auctioning off your gear ;)

cheers

Hi All

Onwards Excelsior

Chucky

Best wishes and moral support from Florida for you and Dave. Hang in there guys.

Hi. chucky
I totally concur with fredblue
And you and your fellow members of your company will come out of this HELL, for the.... BETTER ....

Fuck... :(

Sure puts things into perspective..

Big good luck hugs for you, dig your size 16's in mate, you will turn this around..
from a mega fan of your work on the other side of the world
(you have no idea the sheer joy that Surround Master brings me every day)

(((((((((((((Chucky & All @Involve))))))))))))))

Hi All

Just to keep you updated on our little crisis, its been a rough week but we are making progress. On a tip off from a friend I heard that the liquidator was throwing stuff out of the factory (of the larger factory that we are within), as I was concerned that they may be throwing out our stuff Dawson, My son Max and myself turned up. We asked what stuff they were throwing out and we were greeted with a F#%K off and piss off. This was not acceptable to me as I had heard they were deeming all the property within as part of the larger factory in liquidation and doomed for auction.

So I demanded to be let inside so we could point out our property. Again the reply was the same! For those who have not meet me I am on the large side and at 6 feet 4, 260 lbs I look somewhat like a wrestler (the heel) but my charming son Max ( one of our mechanical engineers and physicist) is significantly taller and way less negotiable. So as quick as a flash Max went behind the Liquidators goon and got in the door. Next thing you know the goon tried to shove Max back out, this was an extremely bad idea as again in a flash Max had the goon pinned up against the wall and Max about to punch his face in, fortunately we moderated this action but the look of pure fear was apparent and his other goon also backed away.

The situation was a bit messy and I became the "door stop" and instructed them that we were not going unless the liquidator spoke to us directly (the lying weasel had been avoiding replies all week), they then called the police but this did not change our tactic as the police are reluctant to get involved in such corporate matters. Eventually we were given the "privilege" of speaking to the weasel and things have been more co operative since, funny how these MBA jerks and legal types get more agreeable when they are not dealing with pen and paper!

Looks like they have agreed to release the contents of our offices and hopefully all the Surround Master boards and other stock. They are going to steal all out furniture, tables and desks- this is a lot as we owned all the furniture in the factory. Included in this mess is property undergoing modification for customers, this is a major embarrassment to me personally. I hope that tomorrow we might be given supervised access to our stuff but it will take several days to clear it out. We are in hot pursuit of new premises and hope to pin that down this week with a bit of luck.

This has been one messy distraction and really immoral but the good news is we are in fact stable and will be back on line shortly.

Oh, the police were really nice and went away.

Keep the faith!

Chucky

Last edited:
Damn Chucky, you are getting the serious shaft here. I can't believe you can't take some legal action, what a crock of shit.

Do you have any recourse against anyone at all? It does not seem fair or legal. What's yours should be yours.

Hi Jon

We have some rather strange and indeed unfair liquidation laws in Australia designed to make things a lot more clear cut (and profitable) for the liquidator. We are threatening to go legal but in all probability a compromise will be reached as the liquidator does not like long drawn out affairs. Spoke to the oily bastard today and it looks like they will give some of our furniture back (the upstairs) as they are too lazy to pay the money to get removalists to deliver them to auction.

I fully agree with you and it is the moral issue that bothers me most. Fortunately our team has been working productively from a home base - except Overture who is still a bit sick but recovering.

I thank all the gang for your support and we are certainly not letting this stupidity stop us!

Regards

Chucky

Dear All

I know this is not the right spot to keep you up to date on our move but there are no other spots!!

We finally got access to our stuff on Friday and packed up our office and equipment, we are at the half way mark and COMPLETELY filled a 2.4 X 2.4 X4.8 meter container and on Tuesday we will fill one more and then onwards to our new office. I am completing the negotiations on our new "happy home " tomorrow and it looks really nice (and 1/3 the price!!).

Was a strange seen at the move as the Liquidator sent their man to watch over us, nice enough chap but literally 7 feet tall, poor bastard had to stoop and bend to get into the doors. Our crew of 6 had an average height of 6 feet 5 and we looked like midgets!

All being well I hope to be settled in a week time. This means we probably will not be able to complete any orders for a week or two. Thanks for your collective patience. if you guys promise to be nice I will send photos of the new joint when we are settled.

Regards

Chucky

18/09/2016 last post and it seems the company has had big issues to hurdle and big changes to get past too

I have an address as
Involve Audio, Australia
33 Malcolm Road
Braeside, Victoria 3195
Ph: +61 3 8581 7638

without doing anything more, I shall ask

so, is the company still active?
has the cd4 addition to the surround master been completed after the last 4 months?

Last edited:
Back