Involve CD4....Is there any life in it????

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Chucky, interesting news, that you would make an attempt to complete the work of Lou Dorren. I have printed in the past all thes chematics or diagrams, which Lou has printed in the QQ forum for the new developed CD-4 Demodulator. If one can't found it now, I may send this to you. May be, this can help. Thes chematics of the 4 DD 5 are not the same.The new Demodulator should get new 35 dB channel separation instead of 30 or most less of the old Demodulators. Of course, CD4 is actual a dead format, but it would nevertheless wellcome for owner of CD-4 records to lift CD-4 with new technology in our actual time with better results as before.

By the way. I think, we need not all the specialities, which Lou have shown by his developments. For most CD-4 Fans is interesting an input for MM and additional MC pick ups - and 4 output lines of the demodulated signal with most possible channel separation.

If you need the schemaitcs, you may inform me.

Sincerly

Dietrich
I self would like to get one new demodulator by a price of $ 500 till 800. Because I have collected the names of 10 from our CD-4 fans, who was interested for the Dorren Demodulator, I will inform them, that they may now again make an order or announce threir interess for a new Demodulkator by costs of $ 500.

Here's a direct link to Lou's latest schematic.

Attachments

• 20120710CD4Dr5.pdf
    188.7 KB · Views: 225
I am in for 1, maybe 2. Also I would interested in just the PWB assembly so I could replace (or add) it too my receivers and/or current de-modulators that I like the looks of but do not perform.

Hey Chucky, is there a chance of paying in say two or three installments? As I am on a fixed income, this would be the only way I could jump in. Maybe more would be in if such an arrangement could be made with delivery upon final payment. Perhaps a package deal including the Surround Master vinyl version?

Hi Circular Vibes and all

I would be looking at a deposit of 30% up front before we start design, and yes I would accept the rest in say 2 payments, I know how tight money can be!

We have had one "buyer" drop out so by my best tally we are up to 19 test rabbits. Also I have had a closer look at R+D costs and its more like $15,000, putting those numbers in and allowing for all parts/ labour etc we are now down to $1,139.........if we can round up the other 10 possible buyers it gets down to $850.

So we are possibly getting close to a reasonable target price. We just need to "mine" more starters.

ALSO it is unclear from the Lou's circuit diagram what some of the chips are particularly FDB 5/4, U34, U36, U31, U17, U16, U10, U8. Does anyone have the BOM details on these.....the less we need to "think" the less it will cost!!!!

Looking promising

Chucky
Hey Chucky, is there a chance of paying in say two or three installments? As I am on a fixed income, this would be the only way I could jump in. Maybe more would be in if such an arrangement could be made with delivery upon final payment. Perhaps a package deal including the Surround Master vinyl version?

Me again

Having said all that we may still do our own DSP based version if we think it will be cheaper/ better. At least Lou's cct sets a good benchmark.

Regards

Chucky

Perhaps you should reach out to Nick Perugini for any thoughts or inputs he might have for designing a modern demodulator. Perhaps we could get something that can at least perform as well as a JVC CD4-50 or CD4-10S.

Thanks for the reply Chucky. Count me in as long as it is about the $500 mark.
On another note, I wonder what happened to the Grado cartridges that Lou was having retipped for Shibata. If we can get a line on those, or something comparable, it may help along some people who are not yet equipped for CD4. I know deals come up in the USA for the AT440MLA, but in Canada it is still a $300 outlay with styli around $225.

Hi

I wonder how an ADC ZLM would go as its tip had an interesting profile......and I have one!

Chucky

Thanks for the reply Chucky. Count me in as long as it is about the $500 mark.
On another note, I wonder what happened to the Grado cartridges that Lou was having retipped for Shibata. If we can get a line on those, or something comparable, it may help along some people who are not yet equipped for CD4. I know deals come up in the USA for the AT440MLA, but in Canada it is still a $300 outlay with styli around $225.

Rustyandi, I suspect AoQ meant the Victor CD4-10 which was a popular demodulator from Japan. Perhaps he meant it in plural without the apostrophe. I had no idea it was much good as mine didn't perform. I am using a strain gauge cartridge and Technics demodulator but don't expect to be able to find affordable quality styli for it so being able to go to magnetic cartridges with a modern unit would be a big plus. I am looking forward to a reliable unit.

An All Software CD-4 Demodulator (except for an analog RIAA phono input):

All software FM demodulators exist, the ANRS decoding curves appear in an
AES CD-4 document.

It seems like a CD-4 demodulator could be built using an analog RIAA phono
input which also feeds (before the RIAA deemphasis) bandpass filters for the
extraction and demodulation of the difference signals (the bandpass filters and
FM demodulation/ANRS decoding would be done solely in software).

I don't know what kind of processing power is needed for real time FM demodulation/
ANRS decoding, it may not be cost effective.

Kirk Bayne

I yes I remember that unit
I thought that he may have talking about a unit that
was better than the CD4 50

But as you said it was an early model
In Australia when they came out there were 2 CD4 LPs that came with it

After that the CD4 5 was released I brought that

Then later I found out about the CD4 1000 and I had to
do a lot of chasing about until I finally got one

Then I stopped

I was referring to the studio model of the CD4-10. Nick has more information about that, but it's supposedly possible to modify a CD4-10 to meet the specifications of the studio model, a CD4-10S. According to Nick, the 10S can perform with better sound than a 50. However, the 50 has that feature....I'm forgetting the technical terminiology now....whatever it is that allows it to playback that Barry Manilow song that no other demodulator can playback properly. I do currently own a CD4-10, but from my quick trying it out as is as it arrived, it doesn't seem to lock in as steady as my marantz cd-400, so it probably needs some adjusting.

Having said all that we may still do our own DSP based version if we think it will be cheaper/ better. At least Lou's cct sets a good benchmark.
If I read the schematics right, Lou's design doesn't use any special chips for ANRS decoding. I would love to be possible to do ANRS (which seems to be the single block for an all-digital workflow) emulating Lou's circuitry in DSP.

Last edited:
Back