Ripping Disc Comments From XTC Thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plan9

800 Club - QQ All-Star
Yes, the Blu-Ray will clearly be better in terms of the amount of content, most of which will be the same or greater quality than the DVD-A, but here's why it's important to offer both (from the THRAK Q&A):

2) Some fans want both - especially in America where a number of in car systems are DVD-a compatible.

3) Some fans want both if they currently have DVD & intend to buy a Blu-Ray player.

4) By including all options we can make it usable by the widest possible audience. None of the Blu-Ray or dvd/dvd-a discs are region locked & the dvd-a is a hybrid disc fully compatible with all dvd players.

And 5) I like DVD-A because you can very easily rip it on your computer. ;)

And 5) I like DVD-A because you can very easily rip it on your computer. ;)

I also like to rip my multichannel files to a hard drive... so far, the only Blu-ray I havn't been able to rip is Amused to Death; DVDAE + AnyDVD seem to be handling them fine, and I'm just using the free trial versions. Hopefully once I pay and update AnyDVD, I'll be able to rip the newest BDs as well (Hand Cannot Erase BD also ripped fine).

I also like to rip my multichannel files to a hard drive... so far, the only Blu-ray I havn't been able to rip is Amused to Death; DVDAE + AnyDVD seem to be handling them fine, and I'm just using the free trial versions. Hopefully once I pay and update AnyDVD, I'll be able to rip the newest BDs as well (Hand Cannot Erase BD also ripped fine).

Try MakeMKV + DVDAE for "Amused to Death"
Worked just fine for me, plus MakeMKV is freeware!

(Sorry to go OT like this…) ;)

I for one would pay a premium for DVD-A. I wonder if they would consider pressing a "no-frills" DVD-A without packaging, as an add-on the the Blu-ray. Even on recordable media (DVD-R) rather than a pressed disc. I'm THAT desperate!
I do not know your personal situation, but is ripping the bda and burn a dvda yourself an option?

Unfortunately, I'm on a Mac, with no Blu-ray drive. Also I don't know how to do it! I've researched, but from what I can tell, it is quite difficult unless you are on a PC.

DVDAE did just fine on my system. The key was to recognize that there are 4 "extra" tracks at the end of the region with the 5.1 mix. These tracks are not album content and not "bonus" content either. They are short loops used for the BD menus and such. They are also stereo only, so including them in a ripping session forces the entire ripping session to stereo-only. Be sure to UNcheck those 4 tracks when ripping multichannel and everything will be fine.

They must consider this a "crown jewel" of their releases and want it to be more difficult to rip to any other file. They are for sure limiting their sales potential here. They might reconsider this.

I'm always behind the tech curve and have not gone BD as of yet.

BD's are very easy to rip.

BD's are very easy to rip.

Yeah, they are easier to rip than SACDs, but they definitely are not as easy to rip as DVDA or DVDV discs.
And there might not be any need to rip the Blu-Ray at all if there was actually a DVDA version, because many of us (including myself) would rip the Blu-Ray just to make a DVDA version for Acura cars.

Yeah, they are easier to rip than SACDs, but they definitely are not as easy to rip as DVDA or DVDV discs.
And there might not be any need to rip the Blu-Ray at all if there was actually a DVDA version, because many of us (including myself) would rip the Blu-Ray just to make a DVDA version for Acura cars.

I would say that DVD-A's and BD's are about the same. SACD's are the hardest requiring the right PS3 of course.

If you own a bluray drive, they are just as easy. No reason to split hairs however, once your pc is setup with the hardware and software, both are simple. As you noted, SACDs are another matter indeed, but once you have the hardware (ps3) and software it's not very difficult.

Edit...Guy has quicker fingers.

If you own a bluray drive, they are just as easy. No reason to split hairs however, once your pc is setup with the hardware and software, both are simple. As you noted, SACDs are another matter indeed, but once you have the hardware (ps3) and software it's not very difficult.

Edit...Guy has quicker fingers.

And BD drives for computers are cheap at this point. I see no reason not to have one in a new PC.

I disagree in that even if you have a Blu-Ray drive (which I have an old Sony VAIO laptop just for that reason alone) most all Blu-Rays released nowadays need to be decrypted through some sort of program (like MakeMKV) before they can be ripped into audio files in a program like DVD Audio Extractor.
Whereas for DVDAs or DVDVs, I pop them right into either computer of mine (my Sony VAIO or MacBook Pro), and I can start the ripping right away.

Yeah I don't mind the extra decryption step or keeping an old computer around just for working with Blu-Rays, but for this particular release, we should have a DVDA version, just like we had for the other XTC, Yes, and King Crimson releases.

I disagree in that even if you have a Blu-Ray drive (which I have an old Sony VAIO laptop just for that reason alone) most all Blu-Rays released nowadays need to be decrypted through some sort of program (like MakeMKV) before they can be ripped into audio files in a program like DVD Audio Extractor.
Whereas for DVDAs or DVDVs, I pop them right into either computer of mine (my Sony VAIO or MacBook Pro), and I can start the ripping right away.

Yeah I don't mind the extra decryption step or keeping an old computer around just for working with Blu-Rays, but for this particular release, we should have a DVDA version, just like we had for the other XTC, Yes, and King Crimson releases.

Like I said, no need to split hairs, both are simple now compared to 5-10 years ago. Anydvd and Audiomuxer is a simple, 1 button method. I use Makemkv however for whatever reason, the extra step doesn't bother me. Also have used Hddvd Bluray ripper with good success but Audiomuxer has made that pretty much obsolete unless I want to rip the entire program as 1 file for manual editing for example. Good times for htpc's/media playback for sure. Peace

Back