Mike Oldfield Tubular Bells Vintage Test Quad Pressing

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is from Mark Anderson's site.

Tubular Bells. Virgin QT-13-105 (CD4), QV-2001 (SQ) [UK],QT-13-105 (Q8), Nippon-Columbia 4YX-9026 (UD4) [Japan],
Virgin LQ-35,127 QMX-49247 (SQ) [Australia]

The Q8 and CD4 have the same cat. no.? I would guess the CD4 is QD not QT

I did not read that is was made in the US
So it is quite possible a CD4 disc

Hi. All
I think it is a CD-4 LP here is my CD-4 LP bottom photo - top photo on Ebay - the last 2 numbers are different to my LP.
$_57.jpg

By the number it looks like the Atlantic/Virgin US CD4 pressing.

CD4.jpg

Last edited:
And for what it's worth, the mix on the CD-4 is not the same mix that's on the SQ LP or the SACD (or in the Mike Oldfield "Boxed" set). The CD-4 mix was created, in the words of Mr. Oldfield, using "a strange fake out-of-phase system." Not worth having at any price, to be honest.

And for what it's worth, the mix on the CD-4 is not the same mix that's on the SQ LP or the SACD (or in the Mike Oldfield "Boxed" set). The CD-4 mix was created, in the words of Mr. Oldfield, using "a strange fake out-of-phase system." Not worth having at any price, to be honest.
That could explain why it didn't come out on quad reel.

Hi. All
The disc sold on Ebay.:.............:yikes
Ended:
Aug 23, 2015 , 9:19AM
Winning bid:
US $229.16
Approximately NZD342.52
[ 9 bids ]
Shipping:
$31.00 USPS Priority Mail International

Item location:
Rego Park, New York, United States
Seller:
bobdjukic (19538 ) |
Seller's other items

Last edited:
The original SQ version of Tubular bells which was released before the boxed remix also used the same fake mix. It is very easy to tell which is which.

The original UK SQ (or at least some of them) had some kind of model plane sound after the Sailor's Hornpipe.

The CD-4 version is fine, even startling in some spots. The only thing is the level is slightly low but, as they used to say, turn it up!

The Sailor's Hornpipe and airplane at the end are delightful.

Doug

Back