Sansui QS-1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Bushmaster

500 Club - QQ All-Star
Mike's Folder 050 (Medium).jpgBesides synthesizing Stereo into quad...How is it for decoding QS quad records? Looking for a way to decode QS without spending over $1000 US. There is no way I'll have a QSD-1 in my future. My system requires a decoder only. I have separate amps for front and rear.Mike's Folder 052 (Medium).jpg

Hi Bill. Great question. I have the QSD-1, QS-D1000 and the lowly QS-1. I have found that the QS-1 provides a reasonable QS experience, not quite as discrete as his bigger brothers but adequate. I also like the four meters. I have tried the RM Matrix setting on my Sony SQD-2020 and found it horribly lacking, as the reviews of the QS-1 might also lead you believe. If you can find the QS-1 cheap, like under $75, it is more than worth it. It is also much better than the built in R|M decoders in most non-Sansui receiver. I hope this helps. Now, trying to find any of the better QS decoders in the US is very expensive, but there is another option. I use Buyee.jp to buy from Yahoo Auctions Japan. If you look a few times a week, you will come up with one in time. Be prepared for a shipping of about $120 when you decide how much you bid, but be aware that you can hold off on shipping for a few weeks to help ease the burden. I buy stuff in the first week of the month and pay for shipping after the stuff arrives at the Buyee office and I let it wait until my next monthly income arrives. Also, check with your local electronics shops and record stores as they will pass on buying them unless they know someone is looking for one. I got mine for $20 at a local record store that buys electronics with its collections. Of course, letting record stores know that you buy any quad at reasonable prices induces a small influx of 4 channel goodies, or at least that has been my good experience. Hope all this helps.

I have a QS-1 (and a QSD-1), the QS-1 is great for it`s looks and control functions. The decoder is the same as that in the early Sansui receivers (non logic, non vario-matrix), with the addition of phase modulation added to the rear to help simulate a surround effect. I first tired the unit on my main system and the sound was very non impressive, not even close to discrete. I latter tried on a smaller (bedroom) system and really liked the sound, more closely spaced speakers work better with the phase modulation effect I guess. Sansui refers to their decoders as 4-channel synthesizers, that is a good name for this unit. More advanced vario-matix decoders extract the sound in a more natural way spreading the stereo around the room, I don`t consider that to be synthesizing anything it`s just the extraction of what is already in the recording. The R-MTX button on the Sony decoder in the picture should do QS about as well as the QS-1. Or you could get a Surround Master a lot cheaper than a QSD-1, it`s got a lot of good reviews.

Perhaps my smallish living room makes my QS-1 sound pretty good. I found it quite directional. While I would not call it discrete sounding, it was better than my SQD 2020 in regular matrix mode. My SQD 2020 may be faulty. The QS-1 was definitely better than the regular matrix setting on a few other receivers that I have owned in the past, like the Toshiba SA-304 and JVC 4VR-5456X. For under $50, it can't be beat. Pay more and you are wasting money that could go to a better receiver like a Sansui, or the Surround Master. It is also good for the meters as I don't want to use my tape deck. When I turn on my tape deck, the capstan runs constantly. I find my Sony to be finicky for the switches, so I use it as little as possible.

Besides QSD-1 and QS-D1000 are there any other decoders worth anything for QS that won't put me into the poor house?

A QSD-2 may be a bit cheaper. They run around $200-300, depending on black or silver face. You may be able to find a QRX series receiver for the same money and use it for a decoder. If a QS-1 comes up cheap, grab it. It is even good just for the meters if you upgrade later.

Buy the early Surround Master
With TSS and INVOLVE (QS)is a 3 band decoder = to QSD1
They may be cheaper
And remember that the A$ is a lot weaker than the US$

How does a Lafayette sq-w or sq-l hold up? It has two composer functions. Will one of them work?

Back