Denon DBT1713UD Blu Ray Video Issue

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timbre4

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
Shrug. It seems that this Denon DBT1713UD player will no longer output video from Blu Ray discs? Audio is fine, menus, transport icons, streaming, DVD video playback are all fine.

It seems to have started after I selected Pure mode for a stereo playback of Amused To Death a few days ago. So far I have: 1) restarted the player, 2) checked all menus, 3) re-initialized the player and nothing has brought back BD video. I played one of the oldest BD titles I have and it was also audio only.

I used Google 9 ways to Sunday and found absolutely no similar experiences for this or other Denon models. Going to dig out the CD-ROM manual and see troubleshooting section. I'm researching service facilities, I just hate to send it off if there is something simple stupid that I am missing.

Thanks for reading.

A good, simple technique to overcome many problems such as you describe is to unplug the player for about 10 minutes. Then plug it back in and see if the problem is resolved. This seems too simple to work, but has helped me restore functionality more than once.

Thanks, going to do that now.

EDIT: Sadly, being unplugged overnight did not restore Blu Ray video. Repair search resumes.

Last edited:
Have you tried replugging the HDMI cable or using a substitute HDMI cable? If you are connecting the Denon directly to a TV and it has multiple inputs then try another input. Do you have any other HD video sources that you could use to check that it's not the TV that's playing up (e.g. by refusing to accept a hi-def video source?)

If the TV has a menu for HDMI inputs that lists what is plugged into them, try unplugging any HDMI cables from it, then deselecting each one from the list. If it is the TV causing it, perhaps it banned HD video from that source because it supplied a non-standard HDMI signal.

I have the very same model and never had an issue with the pure mode function. I assume you have tried pressing the pure button on the remote to go through the different settings and put it back to the off position. It looks like it somehow has got stuck on the video off mode.

I have the very same model and never had an issue with the pure mode function. I assume you have tried pressing the pure button on the remote to go through the different settings and put it back to the off position. It looks like it somehow has got stuck on the video off mode.

Would you recommend the 1713UD? I currently have the older 4010UD model, which unfortunately stopped playing blu rays a while ago, and is now getting temperamental playing any disc. An internet search has told me that my problems with the 4010UD aren't uncommon. I can't put off getting a replacement too much longer, and as I've always loved Denons I was considering the 1713UD.

No, but my research always seems to bring me back to Denon.

Gotchya :upthumb

Not being narky at all, I like Denon and have installed a Denon BDP in a home cinema for a lady years ago and she is still very happy with it.. but just curious what stuff can a Denon BDP do that an Oppo or CA Azur can't that you need it to?

Would you recommend the 1713UD? I currently have the older 4010UD model, which unfortunately stopped playing blu rays a while ago, and is now getting temperamental playing any disc. An internet search has told me that my problems with the 4010UD aren't uncommon. I can't put off getting a replacement too much longer, and as I've always loved Denons I was considering the 1713UD.

I bought the 1713UD to link with the AVR-1513 and very pleased with both as they are competitively priced for their functionality. I don't have surround capability so can't comment on that, but for hi-res stereo and SACD the 1713UD is pretty good to my ears. I know there are more expensive pieces of kit like the Oppo, but my budget at the time was tight, so the Denon's I felt offered really good performance for the price and I haven't been disappointed.

Gotchya :upthumb

Not being narky at all, I like Denon and have installed a Denon BDP in a home cinema for a lady years ago and she is still very happy with it.. but just curious what stuff can a Denon BDP do that an Oppo or CA Azur can't that you need it to?

They all do the same I think, but then my wife would say that our £60 LG blu ray player does the same too :mad:@:. I know that some people subscribe to the thought that audio output from a £60 blu ray player sounds the same as output from a £2,000 blu ray player, if it is only through a HDMI cable :lookaround.

Denons always seem to get fairly favourable reports from what I've read, compared to the others, in terms of output and build quality. Also, the 1713UD is only £260 new at the moment, which is pretty good. Especially with the expensive October that is coming up, with all the releases in that month. (I know that every month is an expensive purchase month for your good self :cool:)

Shrug. It seems that this Denon DBT1713UD player will no longer output video from Blu Ray discs? Audio is fine, menus, transport icons, streaming, DVD video playback are all fine.

It seems to have started after I selected Pure mode for a stereo playback of Amused To Death a few days ago. So far I have: 1) restarted the player, 2) checked all menus, 3) re-initialized the player and nothing has brought back BD video. I played one of the oldest BD titles I have and it was also audio only.

I used Google 9 ways to Sunday and found absolutely no similar experiences for this or other Denon models. Going to dig out the CD-ROM manual and see troubleshooting section. I'm researching service facilities, I just hate to send it off if there is something simple stupid that I am missing.

Thanks for reading.

I was wondering if you managed to sort out the problem. Also, do you notice much difference when Pure mode is on? For me switching the video on and off via Pure doesn't seem to make much difference in the quality of the audio.

Have you tried replugging the HDMI cable or using a substitute HDMI cable? If you are connecting the Denon directly to a TV and it has multiple inputs then try another input. Do you have any other HD video sources that you could use to check that it's not the TV that's playing up (e.g. by refusing to accept a hi-def video source?)

Thanks, have tried HDMI cable swap (has proved to be an issue before) to no avail. It is connected to Denon AVR 4310 then to TV; borrowed the Dish HD input, used it's cable, used original cable, all the same, no dice.

If the TV has a menu for HDMI inputs that lists what is plugged into them, try unplugging any HDMI cables from it, then deselecting each one from the list. If it is the TV causing it, perhaps it banned HD video from that source because it supplied a non-standard HDMI signal.

Thanks but a $50 Panasonic Blu Ray player works through same input with same player; it's in the Denon.

Would you be averse to getting an Oppo or Cambridge Audio BDP rather than another Denon?

I plan on getting an Oppo BDP 103 when they introduce their 4K players; as it is the used ones end up costing the same as new which is absurd. Oppo offers 103 refurbs with same 2 year warranty for $415 but are out of them at the moment.

Since Blu Ray discs are still read, will navigate and produce sound, this Denon player is stuck in Pure Mode (video off) somehow, despite it's Pure menu saying "OFF". The INFO button usually displays track and disc info and I found that it also does not display when BD is played.

I hate to send this in for service if there is some way to correct it here. I did the reset defaults from the player menu; I also powered it on while depressing two buttons as instructed and it displayed 'INITIALIZING'. Still behaves the same. I check for firmware updates thinking this would get rolled back but it says none and that I'm current. Methinks the firmware is not affected by any reset activities.

Since there other players I can pinch hit with, I'm going to allow time to research it further. :mad:@:

I have one and I love it ! It can play multichannel FLAC files from an USB thumb drive or a data disc !

Got me excited there for a moment! It seems that the media drive has to be FAT32/MAC format as NTFS is not recognized. May be different drive used in the future, thanks.

Back