ANTIQUASAURIA TALK with IAN O'DOUGHERTY

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple QQ Facebook comments seen today from some folks who've ordered this album and quite excited about it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ian, still loving this album ,its a keeper and will join the list of albums that will get replay in the future for me.
Thanks for the very detailed answer to my first question.
Here's another one I am always curious of any bands is what do they all do work wise to put food on the table as its a tough business making a living on just the product(download,cd,lp sales) as I think most bands have to tour every year to actually make money or if a song gets put in a movie or a commercial, not sure how much money is actually made from streaming sites like spotify etc.
I don't think your band has toured much yet nationally so what do you guys do to support yourselves?

peter

Good question Peter. Short answer is we do it because we love it. We make money from music but it isn't enough to pay the bills.
Cooke has toured a bit actually (probably fifteen tours in the past ten years), but the band only joins him for bigger stuff due to kids, families, jobs, etc.
He's fairly unique live and solo, as he loops his cello and voice. For many, it's still novel - and more interesting than a band. He loves touring, and loves living in his van.
Whit and Sean both have kids, wives, mortgages and such and can't leave town as easily. Whit works in a art gallery and Sean is a nurse and drum instructor.
I have a mortgage and a cat. I am a video editor and producer and make money editing tv shows - previously reality tv (cooking, home reno, etc) and now mostly sports. I'm a freelance editor and do a lot of Olympic sports and Colorado Rockies baseball. Tour of Britain (cycling event) this week. I also play in several other bands, mix audio, produce shows, promote, edit the Cooke video stuff, so I stay quite busy.
Cooke hasn't worked for a couple years and makes enough from shows to make ends meet, sort of. A couple years ago I finally realized that bar shows were not working and we gradually moved into a more academic environment. Cooke often plays at museums, schools, prisons, libraries, weddings, airports, art galleries and rarely plays at bars and rock venues. Generally, people aren't listening at bars and we want to play in places where people can sit and listen.
I've been applying for grants the past couple of years have funded a few projects - including an upcoming stage production of Antiquasauria. Denver is a pretty special place, and I'm not sure our thing would be as well-received elsewhere. Here we do pretty well.
Streaming pays nothing. Bandcamp is great. itunes is pretty great. We make some money from that but most of it comes from live shows.
More thoughts on this but I've got to go ...

This project would make a great video documentary type piece for maybe PBS or Discovery or History Channel. Getting the word out there is not easy these days if you're not a dancing teenage girl.

Bandcamp pays 85 to 90 cents on the dollar to bands, itunes 63 cents. Amazon is a confusing amount of less than that. All streaming is $00.00000001 or whatever. I think bandcamp is a lovely thing, but really I am thrilled if people are LISTENING, regardless of the format, etc.
Musician money becomes a matter of a label fronting the dough for a pie and many others eating from that pie: manager and booking agent on percentage, and also a publicist, music placement, radio placement, promotion, art, etc as flat fees.
As you mentioned, fortunate folks have songs licensed for commercials, tv, film and get sync money. Performance rights organizations can bring in a little money.
The future of music coalition did a project a little while ago showing 42 potential revenue streams for musicians: http://money.futureofmusic.org/40-revenue-streams/
There is a little money if you have the time to search for it.
I remember when Pearl Jam sold a million albums in a week. Our pal Nathaniel Rateliff has had an insane past couple of months with sold out tours and tv appearances and sold 21,000 in a week. I am absolutely thrilled to have 21 people listening to the album in a week, month, or year.
A lot of people say that bands booked tours in order to sell albums, and now they release albums to make money touring. This is true for some, but making money touring is also difficult for plenty of other reasons. Basically it's another pie with some of the same hands and some additional hands in it.
HOWEVER, I don't want to sound like I'm whining or complaining. I love making music and will do it regardless of money. I also realize that this group is the last group to complain to, because generally the audiophile/surround folks are buying albums, going to shows, and LISTENING to music. So, thanks!!!
Not sure if that answered your question. Hope so!
Ian

Jon - We've done a couple of doc things. One was for Cooke's song "Rover" with a kids choir: https://vimeo.com/57988757
I did a 'making of' for the Cassowary video also. It's not online but here is the animated video: https://vimeo.com/79631660
and I agree with you. There is enough footage to make one, I'm just working on other things currently (DVD of the show with the Colorado Symphony). Here is a little mini-doc/music video showing Cooke making the Quetzalcoatlus costume. Peter, this will give a little insight to our DIY stuff: https://youtu.be/wUN6z4u9w4c

Good question Peter. Short answer is we do it because we love it. We make money from music but it isn't enough to pay the bills.
Cooke has toured a bit actually (probably fifteen tours in the past ten years), but the band only joins him for bigger stuff due to kids, families, jobs, etc.
He's fairly unique live and solo, as he loops his cello and voice. For many, it's still novel - and more interesting than a band. He loves touring, and loves living in his van.
Whit and Sean both have kids, wives, mortgages and such and can't leave town as easily. Whit works in a art gallery and Sean is a nurse and drum instructor.
I have a mortgage and a cat. I am a video editor and producer and make money editing tv shows - previously reality tv (cooking, home reno, etc) and now mostly sports. I'm a freelance editor and do a lot of Olympic sports and Colorado Rockies baseball. Tour of Britain (cycling event) this week. I also play in several other bands, mix audio, produce shows, promote, edit the Cooke video stuff, so I stay quite busy.
Cooke hasn't worked for a couple years and makes enough from shows to make ends meet, sort of. A couple years ago I finally realized that bar shows were not working and we gradually moved into a more academic environment. Cooke often plays at museums, schools, prisons, libraries, weddings, airports, art galleries and rarely plays at bars and rock venues. Generally, people aren't listening at bars and we want to play in places where people can sit and listen.
I've been applying for grants the past couple of years have funded a few projects - including an upcoming stage production of Antiquasauria. Denver is a pretty special place, and I'm not sure our thing would be as well-received elsewhere. Here we do pretty well.
Streaming pays nothing. Bandcamp is great. itunes is pretty great. We make some money from that but most of it comes from live shows.
More thoughts on this but I've got to go ...

Ian O, thanks so much for giving a background to some of the things you guys are doing as I am always curious what people do.
A couple of my friends locally are musicians and they all do different jobs just like you guys are doing as I am pretty sure based on my friends that if you all could be musicians only 100% of the time to earn enough to make a living that's what you would be doing. Thanks again for putting out such a quality musical treasure for us to listen to.

peter

Thanks Peter! I should've mentioned that Whit (bass) also plays percussion with a flamenco dance group, Sean (drums) also plays bass with Elin Palmer (Swedish folk). (Sean and I are the band Eolian, and Whit, Cooke, and I are the band Uphollow. I also play with Tauntaun and Slim Cessna's Auto Club)
I posted this article but it fits this thread better I suppose. Most ambitious! Haha.
Published today in Denver: http://www.westword.com/music/how-ian-cooke-created-the-years-most-ambitious-denver-album-7144278

I can't be sure you will like it, but it's very reasonably priced and the surround mix done by our own Neil Wilkes is excellent, IMHO. The CD/DVD-A/Book is around $12 on Amazon last I looked. I've spent a lot more than that on discs I've only played once.
Okay I'm in. Only problem now is that I'm not set up for vinyl but the thought of a dinosaur themed amber disc is nearly irresistible.

Okay I'm in. Only problem now is that I'm not set up for vinyl but the thought of a dinosaur themed amber disc is nearly irresistible.

The only thing missing are trapped bugs in the amber! If you only go for the amber LP, you won't be disappointed, especially if you like prog rock with good sonics. I haven't had a chance to play the surround DVD mix but will by Monday night. I highly recommend this.

Cibola - note that the amber is not available via amazon, only via greater than and at shows.
Or, if you want a combination of formats or something, just message me and I can mail to you directly.

We actually talked about doing a picture disc with mosquitoes but I was against it because of lame audio of picture discs. It would look really cool though! The amber was a nice alternative. (Depending on whom you believe) the transparent colors sound better than the opaque colors, with black vinyl trumping all.
Ultimately, Vinyl, PVC, plastic, everything, all contain dinosaurs and plant detritus from the mesozoic - and to take it further, we are all made of the same carbon of those ancient animals - so black vinyl seemed the most direct line. :violin

Interesting to note the album spans more time than has past since the mass extinction event. The span from Stegosaurus to Tyrannosaurus is approx 90 million years, with approx 65 million from Tyrannosaurus to present. A bit incredible to think of the enormous span of the mesozoic.

I wish this sucker would hurry up and get here. Amerzurn order has been hung up forEVAR.

If it hasn't shipped yet (and it's currently showing as "Usually ships within 9-12 days") it might be better to head over to BestBuy.com and order it from them for the same price. I ordered mine on Thurs, and it's due to arrive at my apt tomorrow! :)

If it hasn't shipped yet (and it's currently showing as "Usually ships within 9-12 days") it might be better to head over to BestBuy.com and order it from them for the same price. I ordered mine on Thurs, and it's due to arrive at my apt tomorrow! :)

I think something in the order might be pre-order and its holding up the show? I might contact them and find out what's up. Meanwhile, I have a pile of like 20 unheard albums. Good problem to have...

My copy arrived today! (CD & DVDA)
Really creative packaging, plus I'm pretty sure this is the first album I have ever bought that comes with a (dinosaur) coloring book.
Very neat, indeed! :)

Back