Steven Wilson Any plans on remixing more of your own back catalogue?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onthewall2983

It's my understanding that some contractual obligations have prevented the In Absentia and Deadwing Blu-ray releases you spoke about a few years ago. Needless to say hopefully that will be cleared up soon and your fans in the Hi-res community will rejoice in those editions. As far as Porcupine Tree, would you like to do more than just those two releases in the Blu-ray format? Particularly Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun, which are of course currently available on DVD-A. Also, any plans on mixing the earliest PT records which haven't gotten the surround treatment, going back to Up The Downstair?

I'd also like to know is if there's plans to do more work with regards to not just Porcupine Tree, but your other projects like No-Man and Blackfield. I picked up copies of the CD/DVD editions of Together We're Stranger and Schoolyard Ghosts as soon as I'd heard they were about to go out-of-print. I listened to the 5.1 mix of Schoolyard Ghosts just this weekend and was mesmerized by it all over again. I know you mentioned right around the time the new CD editions of those albums were announced, you mentioned a possible Blu-ray containing those mixes on your Facebook. I'd love to see that, as well as mixes of the earlier No-Man records back to Flowermouth ("Angel Gets Caught In The Beauty Trap" would sound sublime in surround, IMO).

Thank you, not just for sparing some time to answer our questions, but for all that you do and have done. Not just for Hi-Res audio, but music in general. I've been a fan for about 10 years now and appreciate the time and effort you put into writing, recording, performing, and mixing in all your projects. I hope you're having a lovely summer, and good luck with your upcoming Royal Albert Hall shows.

You didn't even specifically mention the one album from Steven Wilson's back catalogue that has the biggest potential for a great surround mix, and that would be no-man's "Returning Jesus".
Besides that album, along with any other previously released Porcupine Tree or no-man surround mixes that could be reissued on Blu-Ray, I think we have heard about all we're going to hear from SW's back catalogue in surround, given that older Porcupine Tree & no-man albums (like "Signify" and "Wild Opera" on backwards) wouldn't be feasible to mix in surround, and in the past, Aviv Geffen has vetoed surround mixes of previous Blackfield albums.
(SW's basically given a similar answer in some of these threads in this section of the forum)

Also, maybe at some point we could get a reissue of the Deluxe Edition of "Insurgentes" with a Blu-Ray added in to that one like the other subsequent SW solo albums. I never did get that one in the deluxe book format the first time around so a reissue would be quite welcome indeed! :)

Back