Anathema "A Sort of Homecoming" Live CD/DVD/Blu-Ray release

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
For those who may be interested:

http://www.kscopemusic.com/2015/08/...-a-sort-of-homecoming-cathedral-concert-film/

Directed by Lasse Hoile (Steven Wilson / Katatonia /Opeth), A Sort of Homecoming is a stunning concert film of Anathema’s homecoming show on March 7th 2015 in the spectacular setting of the Liverpool Cathedral. Set for release on 30th October through Kscope (Steven Wilson, TesseracT, Katatonia) the concert was described by Prog Magazine as “a once in a lifetime experience that words can barely do justice.”

During 2014 & 15 the band toured the world extensively to promote Distant Satellites both as a full band and also with a stripped down acoustic show. It was the band’s performance at a one-off show at Gloucester Cathedral in 2014 that opened up a new chapter, giving them an opportunity to set the music in an ornate, beautiful environment. In March 2015 the band played an acoustic tour of Cathedrals in the UK that culminated in a sold out show in the impressive Liverpool Cathedral, the band’s hometown.

Having previously worked with Anathema on their acclaimed ‘Universal’ concert film, Lasse Hoile captured the 100 minute acoustic set in high definition against the sensational backdrop of Liverpool Cathedral. Featuring 15 songs selected from the albums Distant Satellites, Weather Systems, We’re Here Because We’re Here, A Natural Disaster and Alternative 4, the ‘Anathema Acoustic’ trio of Daniel Cavanagh, Vincent Cavanagh and Lee Douglas were joined by rhythm section John Douglas & Jamie Cavanagh, alongside their very talented close friend David Wesling on cello who also played on Hindsight (2009) and A Moment In Time (2006). For this exclusive performance the band were also joined by the renowned violinist, Anna Phoebe on a haunting rendition of ‘Anathema’. The audio has been produced and mixed by Christer-André Cederberg who worked on Distant Satellites, Universal and Weather Systems, with the cover and booklet artwork featuring the stunning photography from the show and behind the scenes by long time collaborator Caroline Traitler. This is the first Anathema live release to feature a 5.1 audio mix, engineered by Bruce Soord.

Kscope are set to release A Sort of Homecoming as :

4 disc box set featuring 2 CD – concert audio (100 mins), DVD – full concert plus an additional behind the scenes film ‘A Temporary Peace’ and concert on Blu-ray disc. In a deluxe rigid media book with 36 page booklet, presented in a slipcase.

2CD + DVD-V - The set features the full 100 minute audio and DVD-V of the concert with 5.1 audio mixed by The Pineapple Thief’s Bruce Soord.

Blu-ray disc - featuring the full 100minute concert plus an additional behind the scenes film ’A Temporary Peace’ with 5.1 audio mixed by The Pineapple Thief’s Bruce Soord

Here's a trailer:
[video=youtube;C_6vNJcaPEc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_6vNJcaPEc[/video]

:)

'Universal' was a fantastic Blu-ray concert release. The previews for 'A Sort of Homecoming' look promising for sure. Definitely ordering this!

I got a dispatch confirmation today from Burning Shed! :banana: 4 days before official release... Well done folks.(y)

Got my shipping notice too. Can't wait to see/hear this one!

I was at the first (?) acoustic cathedral gig they did in Gloucester, which was a pre-cursor for the tour that culminated in this gig. We were sat about six rows from the front, the acoustics of the venue were incredible and the band were totally on fire, loving every moment of the performance. One of the best gigs I have ever seen, and if you knew how many I have been too in my life you would know that's quite a claim! A couple of months ago we got to see the inside of Liverpool cathedral, where this was filmed and it's a mind bogglingly stunning space. Consequently expectation levels are set to overdrive waiting for this to land on the doormat. :)

Hey all - I was looking at this release on US Amazon...while they have it for sale..they go on to say it likely won't play on most players utilized in US. So, Region B/2....

Is it confirmed that Oppo 103 won't play this disc?? :violin

Hey all - I was looking at this release on US Amazon...while they have it for sale..they go on to say it likely won't play on most players utilized in US. So, Region B/2....

Amazon is wrong..I confirmed it with Burning Shed...it can be played worldwide...region code 0..

OK, well that's good to know. I think I want this...I haven't been buying too many concert Blu's lately and this one seems to be worthy. :)

Amazon is wrong..I confirmed it with Burning Shed...it can be played worldwide...region code 0..

My copy arrived this morning (the BD looks/sounds superb) and I can confirm that it both BD and DVD are code "0" i.e. region free.

Is it compressed to death? I still have time to cancel my order if sound is not good

I get lambasted on here when I speak the truth.

This concert was clearly meticulously recorded, the 5.1 mix is very good, but it is one of the loudest Blu Rays I have ever heard. Most of the time there is only vocals and guitars, and the sound is not harsh, but to give some perspective; this disc is MUCH louder than Slayer's set on the Big 4 Blu Ray.

I get lambasted on here when I speak the truth.

This concert was clearly meticulously recorded, the 5.1 mix is very good, but it is one of the loudest Blu Rays I have ever heard. Most of the time there is only vocals and guitars, and the sound is not harsh, but to give some perspective; this disc is MUCH louder than Slayer's set on the Big 4 Blu Ray.

I always appreciate reading different points of view in QQ. I like Anathema a lot, but I often find tiring to my ears to listen to their records from start to end. It maybe the mastering or the wall of sound they sometimes create, don't really know. Due to the acoustic sound of this concert I was hoping for something different :(

I got mine the other day and just popped it in to have a look. It is definitely LOUD for sure. For reference, I usually watch/listen to Blu-ray audio discs around the -20db on my receiver, give or take a few db for different masterings - yet this one sounded loud enough on around -30!

However, it sounds good from the small bit I sampled. I didn't hear any distortion and it sounded dynamic still (this is the 5.1 - haven't checked stereo yet). I would love to see some waveforms though as I suspect it will be very near clipping just due to the loudness.

I got mine the other day and just popped it in to have a look. It is definitely LOUD for sure. For reference, I usually watch/listen to Blu-ray audio discs around the -20db on my receiver, give or take a few db for different masterings - yet this one sounded loud enough on around -30!

However, it sounds good from the small bit I sampled. I didn't hear any distortion and it sounded dynamic still (this is the 5.1 - haven't checked stereo yet). I would love to see some waveforms though as I suspect it will be very near clipping just due to the loudness.

My receiver turns on at -24db. I can listen to some titles at -10db. I know a good mastering when I press play and it is quiet at the level I have automatically set. Katatonia's Live Blu Ray, whilst having a rather tame 5.1 mix, is huge sounding, yet mastered fairly quiet, not much compression used by the sounds of it. Bruce also mixed that one.
To get a single vocal and guitar as loud as displayed on this disc means extreme compression used. At lower volumes this sounds good, but is not needed at all.

I dare you to listen to SW's Grace For Drowning Blu Ray as loud as you normally would/ can stand , then throw in this without changing volume:yikes

Bruce's mix of Opeth's Deliverance is nowhere near as loud as this, and that is basically Progressive Death Metal. This shows me it was the mastering engineer who made it this loud. In future I hope Mr Soord is left alone to do his thing and that he leaves the mastering engineer out of it, or makes sure they do not compress the hell out of his mixes. SW has had same troubles in the past, with his mixes being the victims of Mewtilation, but even those titles are nowhere near as loud as this.

That being said the original recording is masterful. The recording engineer is fantastic. This will not get many listens from me but I would say to people on here; check it out for yourself.

Back