Anathema "A Sort of Homecoming" Live CD/DVD/Blu-Ray release

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've played this numerous times now and although the volume level is surprisingly high for a BD it's not by any means "brick walled" - in fact I would say that the sound is amongst the best I have heard for an acoustic gig. There's certainly no harshness or loss of dynamics and, luckily, my BD player has a volume knob. ;)

The band performance, setting and superb sound make this a must have in my book, especially if you're already a fan or looking to see why Anathema have become so popular in recent years.

I played it myself last night in full and would agree with Neil here. I was pleasantly surprised with the sound quality and mix (the 5.1 is really good here) and the editing and direction are superb. Lasse is a great director - I'm sure he did Universal too and that was also well edited.

The only thing I was disappointed in was the supposed documentary. I was expecting some talking about the history of the venue, thoughts on the acoustic tour and stuff like that - some insight. Instead it's just 12 minutes of handy-cam shot pre-gig stage set-up and some snippets of soundcheck/rehearsals.

Still, the concert is well worth the price alone.

Outstanding concert visually and acoustically.. Just unbelievable beautiful.. A must have.
Is it possible to get a poll for this blu ray concert. I believe it would score extremely high? Thanks.
Is there a poll for this one yet???

Last edited:
Wow! Just got this release and listening/watching for the first time this morning.

The audio and surround mix is reference quality. Great concert too. Highly recommend this one!!

I'm really regretting not seeing them live last year when they played here in MEL. I think it was a hangover from the disappointment of their previous BD only being stereo...

Wow! Just got this release and listening/watching for the first time this morning.

The audio and surround mix is reference quality. Great concert too. Highly recommend this one!!

I'm really regretting not seeing them live last year when they played here in MEL. I think it was a hangover from the disappointment of their previous BD only being stereo...

I wholeheartedly concur on the surround sound.

As I mentioned in another thread, an exceptional 5.1 audio mix from Bruce Soord https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...Tweet-today-What-are-the-two-he-is-working-on (and please ignore any comments suggesting it is 'compressed to death').

The visuals are wonderful with film work directed and edited by Lasse Hoile. The performance by Anathema is spine tingling in the intimate setting of the Liverpool Cathedral with outstanding acoustics.

In my humble opinion, "A Sort of Homecoming" is a stunning release!

And yes, as mentioned earlier in this thread, a Surround Poll would be nice.

Popped this one back on.. Still exceptional. No poll for it yet. Certainly deserves one. Exceptional.

If there's any newer release I'm interested in picking up that I have not already, it's this one.

The 2CD/DVD/Blu-Ray set can be purchased from Burning Shed for a total price of $34, which to me is probably worth it, but I'm waiting to get it until later in the week in case there's any bombshell new preorders from Burning Shed this week.
(After all, last week there was the preorder of the new King Crimson box set, which has already set me back $145…) :confused:

:)

Well since Burning Shed did not have any 'ringers' in this week's newsletter, I went ahead and ordered the 2CD/DVD/Blu-Ray set of this concert from them for a total price of around $35.
Can't wait to get it in and see if it's any good!

Ok, I just finished watching and listening to this entire concert.
Yes, it is loud, but that does not mean it sounds bad. Quite the contrary.
I was very impressed with the fidelity of this live recording.
The surround mix is 2/3. Sometimes I don't like the backing vocals behind you. It feels unnatural for this particular setting.
Music would be 2/3 too. While it is all very good, I just find a lot of it sounds alike after a while.
I'm not sure if this is a disc I will play very often, but it is good and certainly worth including in most of your collections.

Ok, I just finished watching and listening to this entire concert.
Yes, it is loud, but that does not mean it sounds bad. Quite the contrary.
I was very impressed with the fidelity of this live recording.
The surround mix is 2/3. Sometimes I don't like the backing vocals behind you. It feels unnatural for this particular setting.
Music would be 2/3 too. While it is all very good, I just find a lot of it sounds alike after a while.
I'm not sure if this is a disc I will play very often, but it is good and certainly worth including in most of your collections.

Thank you for the précis, Ryan, sounds like a pretty solid disc, its on the shopping list :)

This is not a threadcrap, at all, its just you raise a very interesting, thought-provoking point (it strikes a chord with me anyway.. might be a time of life thing :eek: ) when you say; "I'm not sure if this is a disc I will play very often, but it is good and certainly worth including in most of your collections."

I mean, many of us almost habitually buy these things (I know I do, I hold my hands up.. almost securing some of these new Surround albums and concerts when they come out initially, just in case they go rapidly out of print, etc., rather than because I want them there and then.. gambles or investments, depending on how the individual sees it, that we may enjoy down the line, we may not..). Personally this is a situation almost unique to Surround Music because almost everything else I buy "from new" is more 'common or garden', or 'meat and potatoes', so to speak and doesn't run the risk of selling out completely at retail everywhere quickly and then costing a small fortune on the aftermarket.. a question deserving of its own thread maybe.. anyway, apologies for the minor diversion, you just made me think on for a moment there Ryan.. back to Anathema! :D

Back