Kraftwerk to release "3D album" in surround sound

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone else tried the "Headphone Surround 3-D" option or know more about it?
Are there other examples, or is this a one-off experiment?

I'm not sure what kind of psycho-acoustic processing is used, but I find it a wider and more immersive sound field.

24441108948_f907f649e8.jpg

As the weather has turned sharper, I've hopped on the trusty Scwhinn Airdyne for a little exercise.
The headphone mix has become a favorite, especially the travel tunes, Autobahn, Trans-Europe Express & Tour de France.

37364942604_1d159b322c_o.jpg

I'm using custom-molded in-ear monitors, which have better attenuation than noise-cancelling headphones to block the racket from the machinery.

37364942454_4c25d1cd42_o.jpg

I route the headphone out from my receiver (taking care to switch off all processing) to a little mixer.
I boost the 15k eq to compensate for my high frequency hearing loss.

24221765528_4d0fe8ba3f_o.jpg

The aux output of the mixer drives a "butt-kicker" transducer bolted under the bicycle seat.
I literally feel the bass in my bones, but the nothing is audible in the rest of the house.

An amazing enhancement to the program material, where the bass drum sounds are pitched low frequency sine waves rather than acoustic recordings.

37364941844_dd1a2a088e_c.jpg

An old bass guitar amp drives the shaker @ 300 w into 2 ohms.

37364942034_3eafe4da9d_o.jpg

26298362329_966150f7a0.jpg

Haha, you put a butt-kicker on your indoor training bike?? That's just excellent awesome! Love the pictures and specs!

Why no poll? It's my favourite surround release.

Okay, I am looking at Amazon, and I have no idea what I need to order. I don't think I need the mega box, but when I look for the slimmed down version on Amazon, I see:

https://www.amazon.com/3-D-Catalogu...D=41stCUI3N2L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=detail

That has a box saying the Blu-Ray is Playback Region B/2 and not compatible with US players. I have an Oppo BDP-95.

So, what do I need to buy here for the ATMOS mix and where do I find it? :p

It's definitely region free release - and there's the A+B+C logo on the back cover, too.

However, there are two different versions (both the mega box and the slimmed down version): English and German. Some do prefer the German lyrics, but the Amazon.com price is unreasonably steep and you should find much better one elsewhere.

Some of you guys are killing me of your praise of this 3d(the big box,4 disk version) 7.1 set and I finally broke down and ordered it and have now listened to it.
Am I glad I got it, Yes and No. You guys are bang on the money, this is one of the best surround imaged recordings I have ever heard so thats in the YES column.
Its a pricey animal though and the heavy book is absolutely useless to me as won't ever look at the pictures more than the one time I have now and no information on the band etc in the book, who came up with this and thought this was a good idea.
If only buying for the music which I did its essentially the same music on the live version and then on the film version or am I missing something.
Have not listened to the headphone version yet.

Did not look closely but does it go through first 7 albums(shortened versions of songs) and then there is a greatest hits which then ends with the 8th album?
Don't have the stuff in front of me right now as am at work so if any Kraftwerk fan can fill me in on any specifics as before this I only had listened to the single disk of this same set,Autobahn and Minimum/Maximum.

Last edited:
I got my single blu-ray copy yesterday and gave it a spin. Well, well, this was certainly worth it. I need to listen a few more times to hear exactly what speakers are doing what in the Atmos mix (7.1.4 for me), but this is incredibly active without being truly chaotic (like Flaming Lips stuff). I.....gasp....may have to look at the expanded version at some point.

I have also purchased this box set, and find the mixes to be superlative. And yet, having been released 5/26/17, there is still no poll on the title. It appears I do not have the permissions necessary to start one. So hows about it mods? Poll for Kraftwerk - 3-D The Catalogue (4 BDA) please?

I second that motion!:ROFLMAO:and you don't need 3D glasses to cast a vote!

Thanks for the heads up. Not sure how I missed all of this hoopla last year. I was aware of the release, I actually had it in my hands one day last year when I was at a Newbury Comics but for some reason my brain was in "I don't want to spend $180 on something I am not that familiar with, I'll get it when it's on sale" mode, and never thought about it again. I am not sure why there was never a poll for it though, I took care of that yesterday.

Mine will arrive on Wednesday, and I DO have a 3D TV, so this should be fun. The only Kraftwerk that I know is obviously "Autobahn", and like GOS posted earlier in this thread I am not a electronica music fan so this will be a trip.

Thanks for the heads up. Not sure how I missed all of this hoopla last year. I was aware of the release, I actually had it in my hands one day last year when I was at a Newbury Comics but for some reason my brain was in "I don't want to spend $180 on something I am not that familiar with, I'll get it when it's on sale" mode, and never thought about it again. I am not sure why there was never a poll for it though, I took care of that yesterday.

Mine will arrive on Wednesday, and I DO have a 3D TV, so this should be fun. The only Kraftwerk that I know is obviously "Autobahn", and like GOS posted earlier in this thread I am not a electronica music fan so this will be a trip.

Then take it in small doses. But man, this is incredible in Atmos. I don't have a true 3-D TV, so I can't take advantage of that, but the audio is glorious.

I only owned my copy a few weeks back when I bought it...only to sell it. Just found zero enjoyment in the music. Guess I'm not into the genre....duh!

I only owned my copy a few weeks back when I bought it...only to sell it. Just found zero enjoyment in the music. Guess I'm not into the genre....duh!

This is the album that got me into them. I recommend it as a starting point. Stereo only but a bit easier to get into compared to their other studio albums.

Reactions: GOS
This box set isn't for you then, especially if you already know you don't like the music.
Perhaps, give it another try with "The Model", which is an extremely well-known song. If you don't like that one, it's safe to say you are not into the genre... but if you like it, then you could get the albums one by one, starting with "The Man Machine", "Trans Europe Express" and "Computer World". They are all good starting points, and I personally prefer the German lyrics.

you're the reverse of schadenfreude

schadenfreude ="pleasure derived by someone from another person's misfortune"

GOS ="misfortune derived by someone from another person's pleasure.

Back