Kraftwerk to release "3D album" in surround sound

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NO audience applause (absent from all the audio/videos)

This made me buy the full 4-Blu-Ray set. What a great purchase. The surround mixes are incredibly well done and the visuals complement the music nicely. Sure, I could live without the 16 tons of paper that accompany the discs and having two additional discs with only slightly different visual content might not have been totally necessary.

I'm surprised this doesn't get more attention here.

I got my box yesterday (German version) and the surround mixes are fantastic. Like the "Minimum Maximum" SACD, only more and with pretty cool 3D visuals. And without any audience noise whatsoever, which I think is a good thing.

Yes, it's pricey, especially since most of us would be happy with just the two concert Blu-rays. At least I would. But the book is pretty big and of high quality, so the price isn't really unjustified for what you actually get.

Altogether an awesome set which gives you almost the whole Kraftwerk output in excellent sounding and mixed surround (Atmos even - the first time I regret not being set up for that), even though they are modern remixes and some are shorter than the original album versions.

Highly recommended if you can spare the money.

EBJpsgv.jpg

Just received my copy, listening to it now, the second disc with Computer World. Excellent fidelty and the very discrete and active surround mix is awesome, with full Atmos awesomeness. The 4 ceiling channels are in discrete use all the time.

This is just something else... :banana::banana:

@wolfram
Indeed. No audience noise, no pretence of this actually being 'Live' in any way at any particular place. More like a studio re-recording with slightly updated sound. I suspect I'd hate this kind of thing coming from any other band than Kraftwerk. The "Trans Europa Express" - "Metall auf Metall" - "Abzug" trilogy in surround is a dream come true. At a time when the whole theme of those tracks seems… sadly anachronistic.

Excellent fidelty and the very discrete and active surround mix is awesome, with full Atmos awesomeness. The 4 ceiling channels are in discrete use all the time.

This is just something else... :banana::banana:
Ah, man! I would love to hear this in Atmos.

Ah, man! I would love to hear this in Atmos.

The Atmos on this is very cool, I can hear sounds moving on the ceiling, and I can hear sounds going from ear-height upwards to the ceiling - and down again

:banana:

And the bass... what a great recording this is :smokin

The Atmos on this is very cool, I can hear sounds moving on the ceiling, and I can hear sounds going from ear-height upwards to the ceiling - and down again

And the bass... what a great recording this is

You're making it worse! :) Wasn't tempted by any of those new sound formats until now…

:banana:
Good for you. :mad:

;)

And the bass... what a great recording this is :smokin
The bass is brutal on these. I actually have to contain it a bit, so it doesn't make my neighbours' flats shake.

Both Computer World and Electric Cafe are less than half an hour long!

Both Computer World and Electric Cafe are less than half an hour long!

Which is a good thing in the case of Electric Cafe :)
But yeah, most albums are quite a bit shorter than the originals and The Mix is (save for the last track) just a repeat and not alternate versions here. Some additional extended versions surely would have been nice. I don't really mind, though. The whole thing is good enough to make up for its minor flaws.

I'm surprised this doesn't get more attention here.

I got my box yesterday (German version) and the surround mixes are fantastic. Like the "Minimum Maximum" SACD, only more and with pretty cool 3D visuals. And without any audience noise whatsoever, which I think is a good thing.

Yes, it's pricey, especially since most of us would be happy with just the two concert Blu-rays. At least I would. But the book is pretty big and of high quality, so the price isn't really unjustified for what you actually get.

Altogether an awesome set which gives you almost the whole Kraftwerk output in excellent sounding and mixed surround (Atmos even - the first time I regret not being set up for that), even though they are modern remixes and some are shorter than the original album versions.

Highly recommended if you can spare the money.

I certainly don't want to speak for the QQ audience. But, I don't like Electronic music....or whatever it's called. Was Electronic ever popular in the US? I mean, in a big way? I sure don't remember that being the case. Oh well. Obviously I've heard of Kraft Macaroni...I mean, Kraftwerk...but I seriously don't think I have ever heard the music. Anyway, for those who like the genre - I'm happy you're getting something of this caliber :)

I certainly don't want to speak for the QQ audience. But, I don't like Electronic music....or whatever it's called. Was Electronic ever popular in the US? I mean, in a big way? I sure don't remember that being the case. Oh well. Obviously I've heard of Kraft Macaroni...I mean, Kraftwerk...but I seriously don't think I have ever heard the music. Anyway, for those who like the genre - I'm happy you're getting something of this caliber :)

I was always into ALL types of music, Gene, and as I previously mentioned in another thread, I used to use Kraftwerk vinyl back in the 70's as soundtracks to my Super 8mm films. I love electronic music from Tangerine Dream, Kraftwerk, Van der Graaf Generator, Klaus Schultz and even ENO's trippy excursions like "Music For Airports."

I'm sure you're a Bowie fan,, Gene and even he extensively dabbled in electronic music via his Berlin Trilogy of albums: Low, Heroes and Lodger.

I was always into ALL types of music, Gene, and as I previously mentioned in another thread, I used to use Kraftwerk vinyl back in the 70's as soundtracks to my Super 8mm films. I love electronic music from Tangerine Dream, Kraftwerk, Van der Graaf Generator, Klaus Schultz and even ENO's trippy excursions like "Music For Airports."

I like it to chill out too or if I have work to do. Gives me enjoyment while letting me think about other stuff. I like not having to focus on it.
And when I want to sit and focus on how good or interesting the mix may or may not be, that is there too. Win/win.

I'm sure you're a Bowie fan,, Gene and even he extensively dabbled in electronic music via his Berlin Trilogy of albums: Low, Heroes and Lodger.

Eh, well if Tangerine Dream is in the same genre as Kraftwerk...then I stand corrected. I LOVE TD. To me, it's trippy and out there. Which, suits me just fine. Is Krautwurst (I mean Kraftwerk) like that??

Eh, well if Tangerine Dream is in the same genre as Kraftwerk...then I stand corrected. I LOVE TD. To me, it's trippy and out there. Which, suits me just fine. Is Krautwurst (I mean Kraftwerk) like that??

Not the same, but Autobahn in quad is a must for any surround sound fan. Minimum-Maximum has such a great production, I will also call that a must.

...to go off topic for a second, Van der Graaf Generator and Tangerine Dream do the SpecWeb upmix conversion to 5.1 (or quad) better than almost anything.

For those who don't want to spring for the boxset, there's a single 2D/3D BD~A/V release available with a smattering [8 tracks] of what's contained in the complete set: https://www.amazon.com/Kraftwerk-3-...65953&creativeASIN=B06Y3YHJVC&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I'm still awaiting my boxset from AmazonUK.

I think there are 18 tracks on this set, which doesn't seem to bad to me, just waiting on someone to report if this set is worth it.
These are the tracks:

1. Autobahn (5.1 mix)
2. Geiger Counter (5.1 mix)
3. Radioactivity (5.1 mix)
4. Trans Europe Express (5.1 Mix)
5. Metal On Metal (5.1 Mix)
6. Abzug (5.1 Mix)
7. The Man Machine (5.1 mix)
8. Numbers (5.1 Mix)
9. Computer World (5.1 Mix)
10. Boing Boom Tschak (5.1 Mix)
11. Techno Pop (5.1 Mix)