Kraftwerk to release "3D album" in surround sound

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Checked some recording data on the release, Foobars ReplayGain lowers the recording (Disc 1) with only -1.47 dB = a perfect recording level imho.

Here are the Dynamic Range for the 10 first tracks on disc 1:

RnRMSVy.jpg

Believe those numbers are excellent, considering it's electronic music.

Eh, well if Tangerine Dream is in the same genre as Kraftwerk...then I stand corrected. I LOVE TD. To me, it's trippy and out there. Which, suits me just fine. Is Krautwurst (I mean Kraftwerk) like that??

Try out the single 3D BD~A/V disc.....currently under $20 from AmazonUS and I think you'll really dig it, man. No one should be electronically challenged!:yikes And Kraftwerk's DR scores are pretty solid...certainly better than Pepper and Superunknown [BD~A]. You'll be thanking me in the morning:ugham:

In answer to your question, Kraftwerk has its own distinct vibe. Like TD, very trippy and I still hark back to the days when I synched Kraftwerk to my Super 8mm movies........which were pretty trippy as well :nuke

https://www.amazon.com/Kraftwerk-3-...65953&creativeASIN=B06Y3YHJVC&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Last edited:
I think there are 18 tracks on this set, which doesn't seem to bad to me, just waiting on someone to report if this set is worth it.
These are the tracks:

1. Autobahn (5.1 mix)
2. Geiger Counter (5.1 mix)
3. Radioactivity (5.1 mix)
4. Trans Europe Express (5.1 Mix)
5. Metal On Metal (5.1 Mix)
6. Abzug (5.1 Mix)
7. The Man Machine (5.1 mix)
8. Numbers (5.1 Mix)
9. Computer World (5.1 Mix)
10. Boing Boom Tschak (5.1 Mix)
11. Techno Pop (5.1 Mix)
12. Music Non Stop (5.1 Mix)
13. The Robots (5.1 mix)
14. Tour De France (5.1 Mix)
15. Prologue (5.1 Mix)
16. Etape 1 (5.1 Mix)
17. Chrono (5.1 Mix)
18. Etape 2 (5.1 Mix)
It's a bit of a question how you count these tracks. "Geiger Counter" is just a brief intro to "Radioactivity", "Trans Europe Express", "Metal On Metal" and "Abzug" are rather one long track than three. The same goes for "Boing Boom Tschak", "Techno Pop" and "Music Non Stop" and the "Tour De France" tracks 15 - 18. But however you count them, you get 76 mins of music, which isn't bad at all.

Is it worth it? The first 9 tracks and track 13 are from their most creative period (imo) and all great. The second half is a bit more mixed, but still worth listening, especially in surround. I'd say it's a pretty good introduction for some unfamiliar or just casually interested. And it doesn't cost an arm and a leg, unlike the big box. The only thing I think is really missing is "The Model", since it's the closest Kraftwerk had to an actual hit. Maybe it's because it's a rather untypical song for them.

There's a lot on the 18 track set that can be heard (albeit a different recording) on Minimum-Maximum, but the leap up to the complete set is such a huge price jump. I'm not interested in a massive book with little info. It's just too rich for me at the moment, and the albums being shorter detracts from the value for me as well.

This is only a preliminary assessment of the 3D boxset. First and foremost, a tremendous amount of work went into the making of this boxset....and it shows. The 3D visuals on my LG OLED 3D TV are nothing short of stunning. Reminiscent of Lichtmond's videos. Looks like 4K and actually, better than my UHD 4K videos.

The audio, whether I play it on my main full range system or on my bedroom's Onkyo receiver with 5.1 B&W monitors/sub, the sound is simply amazing. A Discrete extravaganza.

I've yet to explore disc two and the LIVE portion [spread out over 4 chock full BD~A/V....ALL 3D, as well.

The hardcover book is truly sumptuous but is mainly graphics contained on the 3D videos.

I also watched it in 2D on my Meridian projector and it really loses a lot by NOT being viewed in 3D.

To me, MY boxset of 2017........and the year's hardly over.

A TRUE 10!

At the very least, for those who don't want or need the boxset, I very highly recommend this single BD~A/V 2D/3D for under $20: https://www.amazon.com/Kraftwerk-3-...65953&creativeASIN=B06Y3YHJVC&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I've yet to explore disc two and the LIVE portion [spread out over 4 chock full BD~A/V....ALL 3D, as well.
Don't be disappointed, but the live set is mostly identical to the discs with just the visuals. The musical content is exactly the same (it's live, whatever that means here) without any audience noise. And the visual content consists to 70 or 80% of the visuals you've already seen. In fact, I prefer the live discs, because you occasionally see the band, while still getting the 3D visuals at the same time.

Still, a great set.

O yeah, this is a 10 - if there ever was one. I'm having trouble thinking of anything else I have listen to, on my relative short surround voyage, that can match this. Struggeling to find something that even come close - considering 7+1 albums in one package, with this kind of performance on my system.

Like in the song "Numbers" the graphics show numbers coming towards you - and the voices speaking the numbers are starting in the front and moving towards and behing you - and then the same in reverse - it just make me happy :banana:

The Atmos on this is very cool, I can hear sounds moving on the ceiling, and I can hear sounds going from ear-height upwards to the ceiling - and down again ...

I'd be very curious which track(s) you notice this effect on.

I have the single 'Catalog' blu-ray.

My reaction on first listen was that the use of Atmos was disappointing compared to something like "Luca Turilli’s Rhapsody - Prometheus - The Dolby Atmos Experience" blu-ray and that most if not all of the panning action in the Kraftwerk release was in the front channels.

I need to give this another close listen and would welcome suggested specific tracks to focus on that make good use of Atmos.

EDIT - just saw your post about 'Numbers', just the kind of info I'm looking for

I'd be very curious which track(s) you notice this effect on.

I have the single 'Catalog' blu-ray.

My reaction on first listen was that the use of Atmos was disappointing compared to something like "Luca Turilli’s Rhapsody - Prometheus - The Dolby Atmos Experience" blu-ray and that most if not all of the panning action in the Kraftwerk release was in the front channels.

I need to give this another close listen and would welcome suggested specific tracks to focus on that make good use of Atmos.

EDIT - just saw your post about 'Numbers', just the kind of info I'm looking for

Yes, the Rapsody is great, but I think the Catalouge is even better.

I'm listening and watching it now - try "Pocket Calculator" the sound from pressing the buttons on the calculator comes from the ceiling - in different places :banana:

My experience is that the "main" instruments have support from the ceiling speakers (drums in front) and creates this very big "half-bubble" (feels bigger than the room you are in) and then there are those electronic sounds that moves around in this half-bubble - like someone had a speaker on a rope and moved it around above your head - in this half-bubble, different sounds can have different heights. There are often sounds that start in the ceiling and moves down to one of the (floor) speakers.

Be sure to sit in the sweetspot - that you only used one measuring point with the receiver setup and that you checked the speaker distance manually down to mm preciseness. And that all floor speakers are in ear-height.

Edit: Just listening to Music Non-Stop, the "Pop" singing moves from left back speaker (not left surround) and to the front right ceiling speaker - and back again - repeatedly - it's too cool :banana:

I'm another person that could never get into Kraftwerk. I've listened to many of their songs during the 80's and 90's but they never did anything for me. I'm intrigued by what they've done with this release so I've placed an order on Amazon for the separate DVD/BD and can't wait to hear/see this in audio/video 3D. Order arrives next Friday.

Came home late this afternoon after errands and shopping...checked the mailbox....yeah, got it! Looks great I hope to at least try out a few songs later on after dinner.

Well Amazon.com has met my price point to purchase the Blu-ray boxset, I said to myself, self if this should drop to around $150.00 ($199.98 was a bit steep for me) I would buy it and lo and behold...now @ "$142.14"....SOLD!! (oh crap forgot taxes purchased @ "$153.51") still in the ballpark (y)

Well Amazon.com has met my price point to purchase the Blu-ray boxset, I said to myself, self if this should drop to around $150.00 ($199.98 was a bit steep for me) I would buy it and lo and behold...now @ "$142.14"....SOLD!! (oh crap forgot taxes purchased @ "$153.51") still in the ballpark (y)

I must've REALLY lucked out because when I ordered it from AmazonUK, the delivered price to the US [with VAT removed] was $116. BTW, it was shipped from New Jersey [?] in perfect condition. Now the AmazonUK price is $199.00!:yikes

I was surprised to see that both Deep Discount and ImportCD do NOT carry the full Kraftwerk boxset [with the BD~A/Vs]....only the Vinyl and 8 RBCD boxsets. Very unusual!

Kwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap you guys are killing Snood :mad:@:

Bought the DVD BLURAY - after listening to Pocket Calculator on UTUBE :rolleyes: :banana:

Back