Gentle Giant - (most of) Octopus in 5.1 coming soon!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shame about Glass House, but a proper 5.1 Free Hand would be great as well. BUT... what about Playing the Fool in 5.1. The listening experience to excerpts from Octopus on the Octopus blu ray is sooo good, can we please get the whole album like that?

I could be wrong, but I think I read somewhere that Steven Wilson is not really that interested in mixing live albums for other artists in surround, so I think his preference would definitely be towards remixing any other good studio albums of theirs with multitrack tapes intact.

I could be wrong, but I think I read somewhere that Steven Wilson is not really that interested in mixing live albums for other artists in surround, so I think his preference would definitely be towards remixing any other good studio albums of theirs with multitrack tapes intact.
That rules out Yessongs then. Again though, if Jakko Jakszyk ends up remixing Live at Carnegie Hall then I guess that won't be a bad thing.

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

That rules out Yessongs then. Again though, if Jakko Jakszyk ends up remixing Live at Carnegie Hall then I guess that won't be a bad thing.

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

Even if they just reissued the "Live at Carnegie Hall" DVD as is from the 2010 "Stand Up" set, that wouldn't bother me at all. I'm more interested to know if the Feb 1977 BBC concert can be remixed in stereo & surround (with video included) for the upcoming "Songs from the Wood" set. That would be a cool treat! :)

Octopus blu-ray is on sale at Amazon for $10.99 (appears to not be in-stock, though, shipping in 1-3 weeks). Now, I seem to recall Amazon had an issue with their listing when this was first released. Seems like they had the standard CD remix listed as the Blu-ray. Looks like they've gotten everything in-order, now, though. I still haven't gotten around to this one yet, so I'll bite. Anyway, here's the link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014JDO9R8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edit: Looks like it's only available to Prime members. Didn't know that was a thing Amazon was doing now...

Octopus blu-ray is on sale at Amazon for $10.99 (appears to not be in-stock, though, shipping in 1-3 weeks)...

Edit: Looks like it's only available to Prime members. Didn't know that was a thing Amazon was doing now...
I just ordered this through Amazon Prime about a month ago when the price was $14.99, and it took about a month for them to finally receive and ship the thing, but it did arrive this week. I had no idea it had become a "Prime exclusive." I guess that's one way to entice people into a membership: deny them the opportunity to buy what they want unless they join. At least you do get some perks like faster shipping for less money (assuming you buy often enough) and great original video content (plus access to other, non-original content).

I just ordered this through Amazon Prime about a month ago when the price was $14.99, and it took about a month for them to finally receive and ship the thing, but it did arrive this week. I had no idea it had become a "Prime exclusive." I guess that's one way to entice people into a membership: deny them the opportunity to buy what they want unless they join. At least you do get some perks like faster shipping for less money (assuming you buy often enough) and great original video content (plus access to other, non-original content).

As long as you like the music, $15.00 is still not bad. Get Steve Hackett's new release at $18.00 it will make up for it.

Octopus blu-ray is on sale at Amazon for $10.99 (appears to not be in-stock, though, shipping in 1-3 weeks). Now, I seem to recall Amazon had an issue with their listing when this was first released. Seems like they had the standard CD remix listed as the Blu-ray. Looks like they've gotten everything in-order, now, though. I still haven't gotten around to this one yet, so I'll bite. Anyway, here's the link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014JDO9R8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I skipped this one on release, partially due to the Amazon mix-up and the fact that a good portion of the songs were done in faux surround due to missing mutli-tracks. Can't pass up the Blu-ray at this price, though. Thanks for the heads up!

I skipped this one on release, partially due to the Amazon mix-up and the fact that a good portion of the songs were done in faux surround due to missing mutli-tracks. Can't pass up the Blu-ray at this price, though. Thanks for the heads up!

1) The "faux" surround mixes are amazing!

2) Enjoy... The sound is fantastic.

Last edited:
Octopus blu-ray is on sale at Amazon for $10.99 (appears to not be in-stock, though, shipping in 1-3 weeks). Now, I seem to recall Amazon had an issue with their listing when this was first released. Seems like they had the standard CD remix listed as the Blu-ray.

Not just Amazon, I pre-ordered the blu ray through Acoustic Sounds and they sent me the standard, too :(

However, they graciously sent me the blu ray at the same price (and provided a mailing package / mailing cost) to return the CD.

I really like SW's treatment, although, if you like "Think of Me with Kindness," I still recommend the Japanese SHM-CD version. YMMV.

Last edited:
Back