Gentle Giant - (most of) Octopus in 5.1 coming soon!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colsky

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
From Steven Wilson's facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/swremixes

Gentle Giant - Band’s iconic fourth album OCTOPUS will be reissued on 30th October in BLU-RAY/CD and standalone CD formats, including my stereo and 5.1 surround sound remixes of several of the tracks (unfortunately not all of the multi track tapes could be located) and a 15-minute live performance of "Excerpts from Octopus" from the band's 1976 tour.
Instrumental mixes and a flat transfer of the original 1972 mix will also be included, all in 96/24 LPCM. More info soon.

Shame about the missing tapes, but this adds to an already expensive October :yikes :friday:

Missing multis are for the tracks The Advent of Panurge, Raconteur Troubadour, and The Boys In The Band.

What a shame.. The Advent of Panurge is probably my favourite GG track...

EDIT: Still really excited about this....

BTW, I have worked on this remix, so if you have questions I guess I could answer some of them; although Steven being a member here, I'm sure he could, too (and in a more "official" manner)...

From Steven Wilson's facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/swremixes

Gentle Giant - Band’s iconic fourth album OCTOPUS will be reissued on 30th October in BLU-RAY/CD and standalone CD formats, including my stereo and 5.1 surround sound remixes of several of the tracks (unfortunately not all of the multi track tapes could be located) and a 15-minute live performance of "Excerpts from Octopus" from the band's 1976 tour.
Instrumental mixes and a flat transfer of the original 1972 mix will also be included, all in 96/24 LPCM. More info soon.

Shame about the missing tapes, but this adds to an already expensive October :yikes :friday:

Oh yeah, I meant to say... WOW!! :yikes

Any idea why surround upmixes weren't done for those tracks?

How do you know they weren't? I would be happy with upmixes for those tracks. The album was immaculately produced; I have an upmix of it, and separation of instruments is definitely attainable.

I'm thrilled to see this announced but at the same time slightly deflated to learn of the missing multis. Those 3 tracks have amazing potential for 5.1. A shame, but I'm most definitely in for this one. Glad to get more instrumental mixes as well!

Missing multis are for the tracks The Advent of Panurge, Raconteur Troubadour, and The Boys In The Band.

This is a very bittersweet release indeed.
It's great that they moved ahead with remixing this album despite the missing multitracks, but I'm saddened simply because two of my favorites on this album ("The Advent of Panurge" and "The Boys in the Band") were among the missing tapes.
I do hope though that the discrete remixes of another two of my favorites ("Knots" and "Think of Me with Kindness") will more than make up for what's not there.

Moving forward though, I have a feeling this is what we might come to expect from certain artists like Gentle Giant and maybe even XTC too if things don't take a turn for the better. Besides Roxy Music (whom we still have yet to actually hear a remix from), it seems like the great white hope moving forward continues to be Jethro Tull, so like I always say, Hope Springs Eternal! :)

Moving forward though, I have a feeling this is what we might come to expect from certain artists like Gentle Giant and maybe even XTC too if things don't take a turn for the better. Besides Roxy Music (whom we still have yet to actually hear a remix from), it seems like the great white hope moving forward continues to be Jethro Tull, so like I always say, Hope Springs Eternal! :)

And hopefully Yes too! If Jethro Tull carries on moving forward in the same excellent way with the series, then I'll have to buy a new bookcase on which to house them!

Hopefully Octopus will include the same nice videos to accompany the songs as The Power and The Glory did.

And hopefully Yes too! If Jethro Tull carries on moving forward in the same excellent way with the series, then I'll have to buy a new bookcase on which to house them!

Hopefully Octopus will include the same nice videos to accompany the songs as The Power and The Glory did.

I didn't mention Yes, just because SW has said on here that apparently they haven't located the tapes for "Going for the One", and other albums might not be as commercially viable to do remixing for, but who knows? If they have tapes accessible for both of the first two albums (or at least "Time and a Word"), maybe those might happen, but besides an eventual release of "Tales from Topographic Oceans", I'm less optimistic now about more Yes remixes than I was say a month ago, but as far as Jethro Tull goes, I'm all like :banana:
:)

I didn't mention Yes, just because SW has said on here that apparently they haven't located the tapes for "Going for the One", and other albums might not be as commercially viable to do remixing for, but who knows? If they have tapes accessible for both of the first two albums (or at least "Time and a Word"), maybe those might happen, but besides an eventual release of "Tales from Topographic Oceans", I'm less optimistic now about more Yes remixes than I was say a month ago, but as far as Jethro Tull goes, I'm all like :banana:
:)

Agree on the Tull - Too Old To Rock And Roll, Songs From the Wood, Heavy Horses ........ bring them on!

With respect to Gentle Giant, surely Yes's first 2 albums are more commercially viable than Gentle Giant. Here's hoping for them eventually. But no more in October please :bounce17

Back