Allman Brothers "Idlewild South" Deluxe Edition with 5.1 surround coming soon!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does the blu-ray play ok? There's been comments of "wonky authoring" and incorrect track times in this thread that are making me hesitate on purchasing this release.

Don't pass this disc up. It's an excellent surround mix.

The only problem I encounter is with the bonus Midnight Rider track, but easily fixed with a bit of patience. It reads stereo, press audio button on your remote to get it back to DTS MA. Sometimes you have to page up to the initial track and come back to the bonus.

ALL MINOR DETAILS. This disc will be going oop soon no doubt.

Wish Kevin Reeves would mix more like this in surround.

Duane Allman died in a motorcycle wreck 47 years ago today.
Did not live to see his 25th birthday.

I was reminded by a post on shf that the bonus cds of this release include the remaster of the complete 1970 Ludlow Garage show, hadn't spun this in years,
Disc two especially with a slower Elizabeth Reed and a 45 minute high-energy Mountain Jam sound great in stereo and immersive in fake surround.
Listening now to Berry Oakley's solo, much better than the Fillmore East version.

Still in the top 50 of the polls, and still available at Amazon US for a reasonable $47.56 and a coupon to cover local sales tax.
https://www.amazon.com/Idlewild-South-CD-Blu-ray-Combo/dp/B0157FE6AM

Agree wholeheartedly! It's one of those cases where the surround mix somehow enhances the experience of the album so much that it bumps the rating (used to be 4 stars, now is 4 1/2).

Yup! I forget what I did, but the correct chapter list is on there somewhere which I was able to extract with eac3to. Then I ripped the whole thing as a single flac, converted the chapter file to a cue file and used XLD to split it up. If I remember correctly. It was a pain.
I know this is years later, but I found a solution that might help someone else.

I finally got around to ripping my Blu-ray of this. Neither eac3to nor MakeMKV seemed to find more than the single, stereo-timed chapter from the Blu-ray structure. However, I opened the disc in MKVmerge GUI and was given the option of various playlists. I chose the one with only 11 chapters, made a CUE file from it, and it's perfect!

Thanks to Cheezmo and all who explained how there was more than one chapter file in there. I wouldn't have otherwise known to look so deeply.

Attached is the CUE sheet for use with the 5.1 mix, in case it helps anyone.

Attachments

• IdlewildSouthCUE5.1.zip
    588 bytes · Views: 99
I know this is years later, but I found a solution that might help someone else.

I finally got around to ripping my Blu-ray of this. Neither eac3to nor MakeMKV seemed to find more than the single, stereo-timed chapter from the Blu-ray structure. However, I opened the disc in MKVmerge GUI and was given the option of various playlists. I chose the one with only 11 chapters, made a CUE file from it, and it's perfect!

Thanks to Cheezmo and all who explained how there was more than one chapter file in there. I wouldn't have otherwise known to look so deeply.

If I remember correctly, when i ripped it, there was a 5.1 timed structure that Audiomuxer found when I converted to flac, but it was incorrect and cut off the end of every song and timed it to the beginning of the next. I sorted it out manually with Audacity.

If I remember correctly, when i ripped it, there was a 5.1 timed structure that Audiomuxer found when I converted to flac, but it was incorrect and cut off the end of every song and timed it to the beginning of the next. I sorted it out manually with Audacity.
Ouch! You did it the hard way. I remember I did the same thing with The Beatles "White Album", slicing away with an editor.

It's much easier to just find the correct chapter timings inside the Blu-ray.

For things like this, HD-DVD BLU-RAY Stream Extractor will export the chapter stops as a text, that loads into Audiomuxer without editing.

For things like this, HD-DVD BLU-RAY Stream Extractor will export the chapter stops as a text, that loads into Audiomuxer without editing.
Will it extract the "hidden" chapters in this odd Allman Brothers release? As explained earlier in this thread, many tools will only see the one set of chapters, but those are only accurate for the stereo mix's timing.

For most regular Blu-ray ripping situations, we all have our favorite tools that work just fine.

Will it extract the "hidden" chapters in this odd Allman Brothers release? As explained earlier in this thread, many tools will only see the one set of chapters, but those are only accurate for the stereo mix's timing.

For most regular Blu-ray ripping situations, we all have our favorite tools that work just fine.

It isn't in my normal rotation for ripping. I just checked, and it doesn't match the times you posted in the cue you linked.

It isn't in my normal rotation for ripping. I just checked, and it doesn't match the times you posted in the cue you linked.
What exactly did you check against?

My CUE sheet times are for the Blu-ray's 5.1 mixes . The default chapter timings are only for the stereo Blu-ray mixes, so my CUE sheet will be off for that mix.

I'm getting the feeling that everyone responding to my recent post has not familiarized themselves with the original discussions from back in 2016. Before further postings, I highly recommend reading that earlier thread so you understand the issue of the multiple chapter sets.

What exactly did you check against?

My CUE sheet times are for the Blu-ray's 5.1 mixes . The default chapter timings are only for the stereo Blu-ray mixes, so my CUE sheet will be off for that mix.

I'm getting the feeling that everyone responding to my recent post has not familiarized themselves with the original discussions from back in 2016. Before further postings, I highly recommend reading that earlier thread so you understand the issue of the multiple chapter sets.

I understand and I said the timings were different. Thanks for posting the correct cue.

Ouch! You did it the hard way. I remember I did the same thing with The Beatles "White Album", slicing away with an editor.

It's much easier to just find the correct chapter timings inside the Blu-ray.
Yes, the hard way. Had I known of your method using MKVmerge GUI, I may have given it a try.

And I wonder why, if the correct timings actually are on the disc, didn't they use them? Operator error apparently.

I don't remember any timing problems with the white album... maybe i need to check.

Back