2015 QQ Surround Master SQ2 Test and Checkout

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Well I received my second Surround Master, the one with the newer SQ algorithm last week, and today I had an hour or so to check it out on the PC with a few SQ albums. First off, let me state a few things here:

1) I have paid full price for every Surround Master unit and upgrade. No one from Involve has provided me or QQ a thing other than what they've done for everyone - provide a modern way to decode SQ and QS.

2) Those of you who knew me or corresponded with me back in the '70s know I was a CD-4 guy and I pretty much thought SQ was a waste. I am from the school that once you mix up stuff, you can't get the initial ingredients back the way they started. I don't care if it's SQ, QS, RM, EV, DY, or ProLogic. You can't do it, and you certainly could not do it in the '70s.

Now, here's what I found.

The first graphic you'll see below is the Quadraphile SQ Side, Track 1. The upper wav file was decoded with the First SQ version of the Surround Master, which I paid to ship back and have the SQ chip installed in. The lower wav file was decoded with the newer Surround Master that arrived this week, with the second version of the SQ chip.

This is basically a channel identification track, but it's not just LEFT-RIGHT-BACK LEFT-BACK FRONT, they also do FULL CENTER, LEFT CENTER, RIGHT CENTER, CENTER FRONT, and CENTER BACK.

The purpose of this comparison is not to define what part of the wav file is which channel, but more to see the difference between the two versions of the SQ Surround Master.

NOTE: I left these a full size so you could really look at them (but the stupid vB shrunk them, sorry)

Quadrofile Decodes.jpg

As you can see, the newer Surround Master seems to have better definition in the front channels and a bit more amplitude in the wav forms. These were recorded in today one after the other, using the exact same turntable, cartridge, MOTU, recording settings, with the only difference being the Surround Master Model.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now the torture test. I didn't have a lot of time to futz around, so I went right for the kill. There is a track on the Paul Simon album called "Night Game". It is a very quiet, somber ballad, and I remembered that on the Q8 the back channels had very little information in them. The Back Left is silent most of the song until a harmonica/fiddle appears for a solo, then leaves and that channel goes back to silence. The back right channel has an eerie high harmony vocal towards the end, and guitar throughout. Paul's voice is not heard in the back left or the back right during the song.

Well, I have a feeling that what you see below is more of a reflection on the crappy SQ encoding of the day, but to be real, the decode is horrible. There is Paul Simons' vocal in all 4 channels. The guitar as well. The harmonica/fiddle solo is not isolated in the back left, although it's loudest there, but it bleeds to the fronts and the back right. If you solo the back left channel, you do get the harmonica solo with the bass guitar and little else, so there is a possibility that there were two different mixes of this song, one for Q8, and one for SQ. I don't know.

At any rate, the results are there for you to see. I will try some other stuff as time goes by. Your results may vary.

NightGame Decode vs Q8.jpg

Thanks so much for all the in depth analysis! Look forward to hearing more reports of your findings as you put the unit through its paces.

Did you find with the channel assignment test material that the new SQ vinyl edition improved upon channel location accuracy and placement of things in the rear in addition to the improved definition across Front L&R in the original SQ Surround Master? Or did the two SQ SM units perform about the same in that regard?

I've only had the chance to try out a couple of things with panning on SM SQ vinyl so far but they all worked out great (O'Jays "For The Love Of Money", Chase "Open Up Wide" & Miracles "Spy For Brotherhood") could it be that channel bleed or crosstalk or whatever it is, is less of an issue on certain SQ encoded LPs than others or is it affected by using certain carts or setup differences?

I'm new to all this legacy vinyl surround stuff (and I realise SQ has a pretty bad rap over the years) but so far I've been very impressed and can't wait to get the time to try out more and see the results. When I'm moved I'll get a MOTU device and start recording in the individual decoded 4 channels so I can isolate them as you do Jon (very exciting!) and post back with the results. See you at Christmas! :p

Hi Jon, just a quick question on a "Night Game" related tangent please.. how is the fidelity on the SQ LP of "Still Crazy.." compared to the Q8?

Here's my test for today. Quick and to the point, and in this one the newer Surround Master shows pretty amazing results.

I used a brand new sealed (up until today) copy of the CBS Laboratories SQ Test Record SQT-1100, Side B, Track 3, which is called:

"Single Channel Logic Circuit Dymamics: 1 kHz, 0db level, 1 second on, 1 second off. FL, FC, FR, RR, RC, RL

This is very easy to see and follow in the wav files displayed below in Sound Forge.

Wav #1 is the original SQ Surround Master:

SQT OLD.jpg

Wav #2 is the newer version of the SQ Surround Master:

SQT NEW.jpg

You can see the difference with your own eyes. It's quite an improvement! This is the best output I've ever seen from a hardware decoder visually.
Very impressive!

NOTE: All settings are identical for both recordings. No futzing was done, amplitude or otherwise, these are exactly as they were recorded via MOTU into Vegas.

Hi Jon, just a quick question on a "Night Game" related tangent please.. how is the fidelity on the SQ LP of "Still Crazy.." compared to the Q8?

The SQ naturally sounds better, but this is one of those later Q8 Columbia releases that sounds pretty damn good if you have a good player and a good tape.

Here's my test for today. Quick and to the point, and in this one the newer Surround Master shows pretty amazing results.

I used a brand new sealed (up until today) copy of the CBS Laboratories SQ Test Record SQT-1100, Side B, Track 3, which is called:

"Single Channel Logic Circuit Dymamics: 1 kHz, 0db level, 1 second on, 1 second off. FL, FC, FR, RR, RC, RL

This is very easy to see and follow in the wav files displayed below in Sound Forge.

Wav #1 is the original SQ Surround Master:

View attachment 21478

Wav #2 is the newer version of the SQ Surround Master:

View attachment 21477

You can see the difference with your own eyes. It's quite an improvement! This is the best output I've ever seen from a hardware decoder visually.
Very impressive!

NOTE: All settings are identical for both recordings. No futzing was done, amplitude or otherwise, these are exactly as they were recorded via MOTU into Vegas.

Fantastic results! Thank you! (y)

Its great to have the joy of the brief little plays I've had with this unit so far confirmed with indisputable hard data by someone who really knows their onions when it comes to Quad.

(Plus you saved me blowing £30-odd quid on a copy of that CBS Labs SQ Test disc! ;) Involve should give away a free copy burned to CDR with every Surround Master SQ Vinyl decoder, to show off the supreme prowess of their unit..!!)

Oh PS. I've had a chance to try out three more old SQ records thru this puppy (Earth Wind & Fire/Head To The Sky, Chase/Pure Music and RTF/Musicmagic...) man, they are just superb thru the Surround Master SQ Vinyl.. the mind boggles!!

Is there a QQ Poll league table for the legacy Quad titles like there is for the SACDs & DVD-A's?
It'd be fun to see which of the Quads rank highest in the grand scheme of things!

Oh, also has there ever been a QQ thread about those Columbia/Sony Quads where there were only SQ vinyl releases with no Q8 option? I'm keen to hunt all these down.. pronto! :yikes

Great graphs, Jon. Seem to verify what I hear from the SQ Vinyl too. Slightly improved front to back corner separation and much improved front to back level matching. I can't explain "Night Game". Must be a bad encode or a different mix.

Jon, I am glad you seem to confirm what my ears heard! This is an honest improvement. I also noted an improvement on CD's.....although that was not supposed to be the case. The Corners....so good!
Dwight

Back