HiRez Poll Simple Minds - SPARKLE IN THE RAIN [DVD-A/Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of Simple Minds - SPARKLE IN THE RAIN

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this March 2015 release of the Steven Wilson 5.1 mix of the Simple Minds album "Sparkle in the Rain"

(n):phones(y)

More release discussion can be found here

Please be sure when voting that you are voting on what you hear from the Corrected DVDA and Blu-Ray replacement discs!
Video and audio samples from both the faulty and corrected Blu-Ray discs are provided to help members distinguish between the two discs.
(The audio samples can also be used to distinguish between the faulty and corrected DVDA discs)

Faulty Blu-Ray Audio Menu:
Faulty HFPA Menu.jpg

Corrected Blu-Ray Audio Menu:
firstplay_track1.jpg

Faulty Mono Mix Sample:
View attachment 01 Up on the Catwalk (Mono Sample) 1.mp3

Corrected Stereo Mix Sample:
View attachment 01 Up on the Catwalk (Stereo Sample).mp3

Last edited:
My computer is not connected to my AVR, but essentially, the wrong disc has a mono mix and corrected one has a proper stereo mix?

I have the corrected disc.

I'm not quite sure what to make of this album. The tracks seem "dense", as opposed to "open" or "airy". But the fact is I've been playing this every day for the last while and enjoying it. The songs are very engaging and interesting to me. There is a bit of U2 is some of it but mostly it comes across as original and unique.

My only struggle is with what seems like distortion for certain parts of the mix; or is that just the way the album was produced? I have a feeling it is the latter. The bandwidth is so full that I think I'll need to listen to this disc a number of times before I really grow into it.

So the more I listen to this the more I come to the conclusion that this recording sounds like crap. Over-mastered, compressed I don't know but when I listen to this after listening to other albums in my collection it seems woefully lacking. It just does not sound high-rez to me. It more like Dolby or perhaps even worse as I don't listen to much Dolby. Big disappointment.

Anybody else have the corrected version? I'd be very interested to hear what others think about this one. At this point I'm not sure if there is still something wrong with the disc or is this really how it is supposed to sound.

My problem with the correct one is that the main vocals are still too low. It's better than the uncorrected version, but still way too low - particularly when compared to the original CD.

I have found that if I disable Audyssey Dynamic EQ, then the vocals will be a bit louder. But that has left me wondering why I have to disable part of Audyssey for this one disc.

So, no, if you are not hearing the vocals it isn't something you are doing, although you might try disabling any room corrections that your system has.

Andy

My problem with the correct one is that the main vocals are still too low. It's better than the uncorrected version, but still way too low - particularly when compared to the original CD.

I have found that if I disable Audyssey Dynamic EQ, then the vocals will be a bit louder. But that has left me wondering why I have to disable part of Audyssey for this one disc.

So, no, if you are not hearing the vocals it isn't something you are doing, although you might try disabling any room corrections that your system has.

Andy
No that's not the issue for me. I don't use any digital room correction - only wall treatments.

I waited to get this one till the corrected disc was available, so I should have the corrected disc.
For me, when I play the DVD-A/PCM tracks, I get "hesitations" at various places. Not exactly dropouts, just seems to hesitate for a fraction of a second and then continue.
Blu-Ray tracks play fine, no 'hesitation' issue.
Using Oppo -> HDMI -> Onkyo receiver. Same as all the other discs, this is only disc I've had this issue with.

vinylguy4

I waited to get this one till the corrected disc was available, so I should have the corrected disc.
For me, when I play the DVD-A/PCM tracks, I get "hesitations" at various places. Not exactly dropouts, just seems to hesitate for a fraction of a second and then continue.
Blu-Ray tracks play fine, no 'hesitation' issue.
Using Oppo -> HDMI -> Onkyo receiver. Same as all the other discs, this is only disc I've had this issue with.

vinylguy4

You can confirm if you have the corrected Blu-ray disc by checking Post #1 in this thread. The corrected version shows the mix options with the color coding. The original uncorrected disc has no color coding.

No that's not the issue for me. I don't use any digital room correction - only wall treatments.

Even without the room correction, the vocals are too low. It just helps (a bit).

So it doesn't surprise me that you aren't hearing what you expect.

Andy

Even without the room correction, the vocals are too low. It just helps (a bit).

So it doesn't surprise me that you aren't hearing what you expect.

Andy

Yeah, it is a bit of a puzzle. I think the mix is discrete - when I put my ear up to each speaker it definitely sounds that way. But when I listen from my chair it's very hard to hear that discreteness because the lack of good fidelity creates an audio mess. There is no spaciousness or separation of the channels. The discreteness is gone. I am surprised that no one else is having a similar experience.

You can confirm if you have the corrected Blu-ray disc by checking Post #1 in this thread. The corrected version shows the mix options with the color coding. The original uncorrected disc has no color coding.

Thanks for the pointer, yes I have the corrected disc.

vinylguy4

Is there any way to tell the "corrected" version (ala product number) from the "faulty" version?

I got mine from Movie Mars (seeled) via Amazon U.S..Would I need to get proof from Amazon or the seller of purchase?

When I e-mailed Universal, I provided them with a screen-grab of my Amazon order confirmation page. They accepted that as proof of purchase.

Heard back from Universal customer service they're now saying the exchange HAS to he made thru the retailer.I don't know if that will be possible with a third party retailer from Amazon.Can you or anyone else here tell me the corrected disc product number so I can at least make sure I ordering the "corrected" version?

Back