HiRez Poll Simple Minds - SPARKLE IN THE RAIN [DVD-A/Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of Simple Minds - SPARKLE IN THE RAIN

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
Heard back from Universal customer service they're now saying the exchange HAS to he made thru the retailer.I don't know if that will be possible with a third party retailer from Amazon.Can you or anyone else here tell me the corrected disc product number so I can at least make sure I ordering the "corrected" version?

Just found out the product number was NOT changed once the "corrected" version was sent out! WTF? Universal customer service now wants me to find out from a third party Amazon retailer when their stock was received-good luck with that! I can't believe they sent a disc out with this kind of mistake in the first place! I'm never buying another piece of shit like this from Universal ever again!

Just found out the product number was NOT changed once the "corrected" version was sent out! WTF? Universal customer service now wants me to find out from a third party Amazon retailer when their stock was received-good luck with that! I can't believe they sent a disc out with this kind of mistake in the first place! I'm never buying another piece of shit like this from Universal ever again!

Dang man...that does sucketh. Clint had given me an email address of "someone" and "he" managed to get the corrected version out...and that's the one I currently don't listen to. Oops...I mean listen to... ;)

If you bought it from a third party Amazon retailer then your purchase is covered by the same guarantees as buying directly from Amazon. Try contacting Amazon directly and see if they can help. You may have to be persistent about this but at least you know you are in the right. Amazon should come through with a refund at the least.

There is a time limit for Amazon returns I believe 30 days so don't let this deadline pass.

I'm coming back here to dismiss my earlier comments in which I stated this disc had very poor fidelity, etc. This is a result of my discovery of an error in the audio format setting for the HDMI Audio which I posted here: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...po-105-HDMI-Audio-Setting-for-Analog-Playback

Now the disc sounds much, much better to me. Certainly my "5" vote is inappropriate. I'd give it a 9.

I appreciate you coming back to tell us this! First off, I'm really glad you got your settings corrected. Secondly, I just bought this BD a few weeks ago and read your comments before purchasing and thought, "Oh, no!". But I bought it and thought it sounded fab. Again, I'm glad you're now enjoying this disc.

I waited a long time just be sure to get a proper disc directly.

It doesn't happen too often, but I'm not sure which stereo mix to prefer. I do like Lillywhite original stereo mix (even though this particular "original mix" has been remastered especially for this issue). Stevens has better separation and muscle, whereas Lillywhites is a bit in your face but flater. Not always a good thing but that works on this particular record. Well, the big thing here is the 5.1 mix, where the separation and muscle really shine.

Book Of Brilliant Things, Fry's voice is more focused somehow (sounds even more like Bono here!). Speed Your Love To Me is a real showcase for 5.1, excellent use of the guitars in the rears. The start of Waterfront is so perfectly mixed that I for a second didn't realize where the drums were put. And it just goes on. Terrific bluray - I love these stand alone blurays! One could wish for a bit more on them, but that would drag the prize up. This is a good compromise.

Crankable! Turn this up, you won't lose the fidelity.

9/10.

I’m lost here. Just bought a stand-alone BD of the album. I think the mix sounds great. No way the vocals are too low. Maybe I have a corrected version?

Another Steven Wilson standout. I didn’t even know it was him until I got almost all the way through the album and was loving it so much that I decided to look up the engineer. I was like, “of course!” I like the mix on this better than “Once Upon a Time”. And I like the album more too. My favorite of theirs.

Gotta give it a ten. If I have the faulty version, I don’t care. Lol.

Taking a chance on a $20 Amazon blu-ray listing, even though the picture shows a blue case, not HFPA's clear case.
Can anyone comment on whether this is the best Steven Wilson Simple Minds mix? I'm not sure if he did any others.
On that topic, Once Upon a Time is doing better in the polls, though it was done by different engineers. Anyone care to directly compare them here?

Thanks!

This is the only LP of theirs Mr. Wilson has mixed, so far. I have both the corrected Sparkle BD-A, and the Once Upon A Time DVD-A. Between the two, I lean towards this album, though that's chiefly because I prefer its music. ;) Haven't done a direct comparison with regard to surround listening experience, though I should, along with the New Gold Dream... DVD-A. 🤔 They're all great albums, in my book. I hope the Amazon punt is a success for you. 🤞

Plus, to be honest, I'm not a fan of Wilson remixes.

Interesting - most members here are usually quite happy with them.

Just out of curiosity, what are your specific issues with them? Is it the “vocals in the center channel” mixing style? Do you think they’re just not agressive or discrete enough? Do you prefer the balance of the original mixes to the remixes?

Sometimes I find myself wishing they were a bit more agressive in the surround department (this is coming from a big fan of the CBS quad mixes), but the last few I’ve heard (Tull’s Heavy Horses, XTC’s Black Sea, Roxy Music’s debut album) have all been killer.

BTW, just ordered the book :)

I’m lost here. Just bought a stand-alone BD of the album. I think the mix sounds great. No way the vocals are too low. Maybe I have a corrected version?

Another Steven Wilson standout. I didn’t even know it was him until I got almost all the way through the album and was loving it so much that I decided to look up the engineer. I was like, “of course!” I like the mix on this better than “Once Upon a Time”. And I like the album more too. My favorite of theirs.

Gotta give it a ten. If I have the faulty version, I don’t care. Lol.
I havent played this for awhile so out of curiosity I just played 3 tracks - vocals are definitely not too low. I agree the surround mix is great too.

My copy has the clear HFPA case and is the corrected version (coloured sound options on the menu)

it was a while ago and it'd be unwise, unhelpful and really just not a good idea to dredge it all up now but as you can imagine some stuff went on behind the scenes and while i can't and won't talk about all that, i would just like to say that the mono issue on the 2-ch stream was the main thing awry with the first issue (as far as i'm aware?) and so for anybody here who doesn't have the corrected disc i don't feel they would be at a major disadvantage by not getting the replacement if they bought it primarily (or only, in my own case) for the surround sound. phew, there, said it and hopefully in a 'discrete' way.. don't want to set a honky cat among the skyline pigeons! 🐱🕊

Back