Steven Wilson What is your criteria for most succesful progressive rock band?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProgRules

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Hi Steven-

Love your work as an artist, musician, engineer, etc. You're a true renaissance man (who happens to have a lot of musical taste in common w/me) and I am mightily impressed at all the surround mixes you create as a labor of love (I wish your remuneration was more in line w/ the quality of your work- but then we likely wouldn't have gotten so many of your excellent re-mixes: many thanks!).

I have a question from an interview you did w/ BBC:

Do you have a concern that the album won't show your work in a true light?

No - because although I do focus on more long-form pieces of music, there is one thing I have always valued above everything else: melody. There is a lot of progressive rock which focuses on the technical complexity of the track rather than the melodic side. Pink Floyd, the most successful progressive rock band of all time, have stood the test of time because the emphasis was always on melody and atmosphere.

I'm not saying I disagree with you, but I'm wondering what criteria you use in giving Floyd the nod for being the best?

Floyd is among my favorite bands, but my favorite is Yes, so I'd give them that distinction purely from my subjective viewpoint- and I'd say they also fit your description of emphasizing melody and atmosphere. But I thought maybe you had some more objective reasoning in going w/ Floyd and I'd like to know what that might be? Best-selling progressive rock album of all time?

Back