HiRez Poll Gilmour, David - RATTLE THAT LOCK [BluRay Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of David Gilmour - RATTLE THAT LOCK

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
I´ve heard the BD for a couple of times and I don´t find the music very appealing. It just flows along without being spectacular and it all sounds familiar. Musicwise speaking if you know David Gilmour´s solo albums you know this one too.

I find the production sort of mellow and I´m not impressed by the sonic merits. Therefore an average 7 for me.

dual post

Listened to this several times. 3 times on my home system and probably 10 times in my car and or streaming in the garage. Oddly, I have wildly different feelings based on where I heard it.

First - I loved it in my car. The tunes drew me in and honestly was loving it. Mostly the same while streaming on a BOSE speaker in my back yard. Not sure if it was because I was not totally focused on the music...but was more background in nature.

Now that I have my home system hooked back up and I listen to this.....it doesn't strike me quite the same way. Really not sure why. That being said, I like it. I just am not sure how often I will play it in my room.....

It sounds good - but not over the top. I rate it a 7.

I've waited for a month before casting my vote but I'm absolutely confident this merits a 10.

The quality of the songs themselves is up for debate of course (I love the album - for the record) but I simply don't understand how some of you here are saying that the sonic quality is not up to snuff. Dynamic range is fantastic, the sound of the instruments themselves is astonishing (I can't remember having heard a kick drum sound like this, exactly the way I think a kick drum should sound.

As for the mix I'd say that Andy Jackson's creation is at the same - high - level as the best SW and Scheiner mixes. For me SW and Scheiner have always been the undisputed surround mixers but this mix is definitely in the same league.

And the bonus stuff is also nice to view!

I like the album very much. I have listened to it over 10 times and I enjoy the content as well as the surround mix. The Barn jams are interesting and enjoyable also. My favorite cuts are 5 AM, And Then..., RTL, The Girl in the Yellow Dress, etc... For ME, if Aqualung and WINELIGHT are 10's (which in my mind they are) then Rattle that Lock is a solid 9. To each their own...

Further to my earlier posts...now that I've played it through dozen or more times. I find I have 2 basic styles of listening. One requires "involvement" from me, the other not so much. I find I've liked RTL even better after I've seen interviews with David and Polly, and now knowing the genesis for a lot of the songs. I find they're intricate and when I focus I enjoy the album so much more. The other style of listening I have is the one where I put something on, sit back, and say "entertain me". I enjoy this style as well, and it's fine for some straight up rock etc, but if I take this approach with RTL my interest quickly wanes. Anyone else feel this way, or am I just wonky (rhetorical question :mad:@:)?

Mix 3
Fidelity 3
Content 2
Misc 1

I like everything on this album better than the single. The surround mix helps the single, and the context in the album flow, but nothing can redeem it entirely. It's just a dog for me.
Glad I found the mega ultra deluxe for an anti-shocker deal or I'd have probably passed on the album entirely. The single is that bad, which is a shame because the album is great. That's better than the reverse, where the single is the only good song.
Hats off to Andy and the recording team. This sucker sounds beautiful. If any Rush album were mixed this well I'd die.

as I mentioned before, I do not like this album...I can't really ..."feel it"

One thing though...

Is David sick too???

The whole package presentation, the cover concept, depressing songs (and I thought Roger W was the depressive one!) is making me wonder if he's waving all of us goodbye....cause I really do not envision another release from DG after this...

Very similar to Bowie's "Blackstar" that way...only that Bowie was dead 2 days after the LP was released....

as I mentioned before, I do not like this album...I can't really ..."feel it"

One thing though...

Is David sick too???

The whole package presentation, the cover concept, depressing songs (and I thought Roger W was the depressive one!) is making me wonder if he's waving all of us goodbye....cause I really do not envision another release from DG after this...

Very similar to Bowie's "Blackstar" that way...only that Bowie was dead 2 days after the LP was released....

I don't find the album to be that depressing. Certainly there are some songs with a darker tone. "Faces of Stone" and "A Boat lies Waiting" both mourn the loss of loved ones (his mother and Rick Wright, respectively) and "In Any Tongue" deals with war. However, I think the lyrics to the title track and "Today" are both pretty uplifting. "Dancing Right in Front of Me" starts off in a negative light, but I think he turns it around in the last verse. The lyrics to "The Girl in the Yellow Dress" certainly match the jazz feel of the song. I certainly think Blackstar is a much darker album. The funny thing is was that when I was listening to Blackstar on its first two days of its release, I wasn't really phased by the dark lyrics since that's not out of character for Bowie. It was only after his death that I realized what he was trying to convey. As for Gilmour possibly being sick, I doubt he would have committed to a year of touring if that was the case. I saw him twice last month. He's certainly showing his age, but his playing was as effortless as ever and his voice was still in pretty decent shape.

RTL has certainly grown on me. I like it, even the title song which at first seemed out of place. Excellent mix and fidelity. Might be a bit controversial but this makes me think of Mark Knopfler at times. If this disc was by anyone other than Mr. Gilmour, I think it would be getting stronger reviews but of course the voice and guitar are unmistakable.

Last edited:
Giving it a !0. I love the whole darn thing. We could talk about its qualities for hours. Thank you Mr. Gilmour and Polly.

I really turned around on this in the last couple months. Seeing him perform much of this live certainly helped, but a week before the show I listened to the 5.1 version front to back for the first time, and that's when the re-evaluation has began. I still prefer On an Island for it's more languid qualities, but these last two albums (and The Endless River to a degree) and tours have shown him to be someone completely unconcerned with making hits, but is still driven by music and thus is more unfiltered in terms of what he puts out.

Buying this was a no brainer. One of my favourite musicians in a lossless 5.1 record all wrapped up in the most beautiful package and at THAT prize. Talk about setting a good example for the surround community.

This is an album that I need to really sit down on my own and listen to myself to really appreciate. That way I really notice how delicate and thoughtful these sounds come together. While mostly slow paced, the 5.1 mix is still very effective and discreet. You can hear every instrument clearly. This record can be cranked, be it the cd or bluray stereo or multi channel. Very good dynamics.

A 10.

Short Take: A no-brainer for the Gilmour fan. Others may wish to sample the music, but the mix is not an obstacle.

I must admit that this was not love at first hear. More of a grower, as another member put it.

I saw David five times on his US mini-tour last year, and that greatly helped my appreciation for the tracks. I still do not love them all, but my favorites (for those who are looking for an entrance to the work) are:

5 A.M.
Faces Of Stone
A Boat Lies Waiting
Beauty
The Girl In The Yellow Dress

The Girl In The Yellow Dress merits special attention since it is such a huge departure from the Gilmour style. The closest relative from the Floyd catalog would be San Tropez, but even that is not quite as straight-ahead jazz as this piece. And I love it! I am a jazz fan in general, so to hear one of my favorite rock musicians have a bash at this style is delightful. I like it when artists break out of their molds, and this certainly qualifies.

My second favorite is A Boat Lies Waiting which has gorgeous harmonies.

The tracks I do not prefer are In Any Tongue and Today. It was the same with On An Island where for some reason his more rocking numbers just do not float my boat. No matter - there is enough on each album to please me.

This is classic Gilmour - languid, melancholy, melodic, tasteful. Some people just do not like his style, and that is fine.

I cannot find fault in the sonics or the mix. It is not a perfect 10 for me because I will not reach for it often, but for the right mood it is perfect. I am grateful that Gilmour continues to produce beautiful music into his 70s, and I am lucky to have been able to see him perform over the years. I hope he keeps making music and playing live. He is one of my favorite musicians.

I give this a 9.

I have since regretted my vote. I don't often "mis-vote", nor do I often realize that when I voted...for whatever reason, I wasn't feeling it. I like this album, like the mix just fine today. Proud owner! Something tells me I was caught in the middle of some intense Wilson mixed material and then I got this one. You know what I mean...

Oh well.

I just got this and I'm really digging it- "Dancing Right In Front Of Me" and "Girl In The Yellow Dress" are worth the price of admission alone IMO ($13 from Amazon isn't that high a price anyway). I find it's overall a bit more accessible than PF, but still has that sort of melancholy/mysterious aura that made their sound so unique.

The mix is excellent- there is usually a nice wide stereo spread in the rear channels (guitar/sax highlights RR, keyboard/piano RL is a recurring pattern), which is something I always loved about old quad mixes and I find is often lacking from modern 5.1. Gilmour's vocals (he still sounds great) generally take the phantom center while the center channel usage is pretty subtle, aside from the occasional vocal or instrumental highlight. Really well done.

I think I need to check out more of Andy Jackson's mixes...

My vote lands somewhere between 8 and 9, but I think I'll give it the 9.

Recent activity on this poll made me aware that I never voted on this title.

I already posted my opinion on the content earlier in the thread, and for the most part I stand by what I said then. There are a few tracks that a do like a bit more now, but my general take on the content is the still the same.

The mix and sonics are demo worthy. Andy Jackson hit this one out of the park. I wish he could get a crack at remixing some pre Final Cut Floyd material.

It gets an 8 from me. It would be a 10 if the content were better.

A final comment. I also caught Gilmour's RTL tour a couple years back. The man puts on a damn fine show, and a good part of it is because of the quality of his individual performance. That's not something that can be said about Roger Waters recent stage show (which I also attended... twice!), which is more concerned with the overall production of the "spectacle".

Back