Meters on a Sony SQR 6650

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i found an sqr-8750 on craigslist for $100. went to the guy's house to check it out. sounded great and very clean (with the exception of some cigarette smell), a little static when some of the knobs were turned. i then asked what the "meter sens" button was. he hit it a couple of times to show me and POP - right front channel out. he said he didn't have the money to fix it and if i wanted to get it fixed i could have it. in the four channel mode i get sound from the other three speakers. the needle on the RF meter is pegged. when i turn off the unit the needles on the meters for the other three channels immediately drop to -20. the RF needle slowly drops. could it be a blown capacitor somewhere in that channel's signal path? if so, if i open the case will i see a leaking cap? any tips on cleaning the smell out of it? i tried using some orange scented goo gone on the case.

all help in getting this receiver working would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Sorry about "going dark".
Management turned on it's employees at the agency where I worked and by late May or early June I realized there was now a target on my back, leaving me with no choice... I had to get out of there before they could destroy my reputation and make it impossible to find work elsewhere. Unfortunately, it was an ordeal that was not resolved until the week before last.
All is good now but there's still a ton of studying to do for my new job, and that doesn't include all the other Summer/Fall projects I had that were forced onto the back burner as well. Projects such as prepping our cars for Winter that obviously now have priorities higher than this project.

By the beginning of June I realized the colored gels by themselves would (could!) not give me the colors I needed to match the radio scale. I needed to further tweak the green gel color and to get that, would require tweaking the light source.

How? Well, I believe I will have to mount tri-color LEDs behind the meters in place of the fuse lamps and individually adjust each of their colors (red/blue/yellow) in order to match the the red/green colors on the radio scale.

It my be Spring or even Summer before I will have the time and energy to return to this project.
As I've said before...
Only time will tell.

Whatever became of this project?

One step closer!
Next, to match the green tint.
:)

attachment.php
View attachment 34039
Can i get a set of these?

I'm wondering if sandwiching between two pieces of glass, then gently heating with a hair dryer would work? Thanks for the above. When I get around to doing mine I'll follow your method.
I straightend them out with a with towel and a hot iron.

Hi All.... Don't know if this treat is still actif..

I just started my Sony SQR 6650 restoration.... or... the "SQR Nicotine edition" as I call it...

Also mt meter where suck... I was lucky enough to get the decal of the meter body and straighten it with heat....from a small blow torch easing som warmth in it.... making it a bit pliable and then a quick cool onder a cold flat iron...
Worked like a charm...

Also I like to think I know why this is occurring.. Manly it is a construction error.
The decal it self if mounted properly It should not have been buckled... But the double sided adhesive tape is contracting strongly due to the heat of the light-bulb, buckling the decal..

the results of my work:
IMG_20210502_202255804.jpg
IMG_20210502_203226868.jpg

Today I'm focusing on bleaching the meter body's but I don't think that will work out..

I already tested al 4 meters and they seem to have survived the buckling of the decall .. so happy day's

Hope you all had similar results as i had (me being lucky)

Thanks you for having me and supplying me with the confidence to attack these meters on my 6650

Cheers!

I'm a very lucky guy....
I just managed to re-install those 4 glorious VU meters in my Sony...... And they are happily swinging again... :)
1620048161502.png

Next step will be, cleaning...cleaning and some cleaning, repair or replacing a RCA connectorboard, lots of caps replacement, plenty of re-soldering, and even more un-stinking/de-smelling did I mention cleaning yet?

B.t.w. What do you guy's use to remove the nicotine smell for such glorious machines?

Thanks in advange

Those meters remind me of my friends equipment, yellow from tar and nicotine. I always have to give his stuff a good wipe down before I work on it. I don't know if you can ever totally remove that smell, that's why a lot of sellers will specify that their listing is from a non smoking home.

I don't understand smokers, when you see what your smoke does to your home environment, just think of what it does to your lungs!

Those meters remind me of my friends equipment, yellow from tar and nicotine. I always have to give his stuff a good wipe down before I work on it. I don't know if you can ever totally remove that smell, that's why a lot of sellers will specify that their listing is from a non smoking home.

I don't understand smokers, when you see what your smoke does to your home environment, just think of what it does to your lungs!

When I was a sprog of an apprentice I initially worked in a small office with six other engineers. All bar me were smokers. One was a chain smoker and one smoked a pipe! There were no windows. I didn’t realise that the walls weren’t supposed to be dark orange until I moved an old notice one day and saw that they were originally light blue! It still makes me feel sick to think of it. Thank goodness that’s all illegal these days.

Yeah the smell is horrible... But I might have "found a cure" or two...against the smell..

The first is on it's way to me...being Isopropanol Spray ... never used it but the manufacturer promesses it will clean PCB's as wel... and devolves very good. We will see.

Next is a risky "solution" called Quick 'n Brite.. A Dutch made household cleaner what should be combined with ....water....
I'm not trilled about that one.... then again... leave it over night with a big fan blowing at it and it should be alright...
And other run with Deoxit afterwards should help switches and potentiometers...Stillll... Water and electronics...proven to be a bad combination...

yes to think of it... almost 20 years ago I quit smoking myself....I'm considerd to be "Clean" again...can't stand the smell anymore...so why take on such a smelly project... what was i Thinking!!!

Then again .. The visual reward is so big....

Found out that the Frequency pointer light and the Stereo bulb are in light bulb heaven...

I listened to this receiver today for an small part hour....It does not sound to bad, but there are "secondary anomalies" telling me that it needs a big RECAP .... not blown away yet.....but not disappointed also...

Cheers Gentlemen and Ladies.

When I was a sprog of an apprentice I initially worked in a small office with six other engineers. All bar me were smokers. One was a chain smoker and one smoked a pipe! There were no windows. I didn’t realise that the walls weren’t supposed to be dark orange until I moved an old notice one day and saw that they were originally light blue! It still makes me feel sick to think of it. Thank goodness that’s all illegal these days.
And here's my desk in that very office. I can smell the place now, even down the decades....
office (2).jpg

you'll also note there isn't a whole lot of IT equipment ! In fact I didn't even have a phone! Everyone was provided with a large glass ashtray of course. Weren't the seventies great?!

Last edited:
Such a delight to work on my second Sony :)

Metering done, Recapt the supply board (all but two caps witch I did not have in stock). Also Recapt the decoder
Board... replaced the Stereo indicator light bulb and the Scale point Lightbulb...all is glowing now..... :)

Got the "new" old Knobs in today. Only have to restore 4 of my original push buttons...
Cleaned all the facia parts... and hope to receive the cleaning spray in today to finnaly get that smell out of house!

Gonna make-up a shopping list to recap the power amp... and start inventory on the Preamp board caps...and the Reciever board caps.

Also want to replace the speaker terminals... Never liked the wirescrew speaker connections...
As last I will repair or replace the broken tape deck RCA plug connector board....

In the end this repair and restoration goes way faster then I could have expected...
I think it is all about the fun..

Can't wait to get it in my living room... 4 channels connected... dream dream dream.....

Nearing the completion of the 6650 Restoration.
Today I did a recap on the tuner....guys... if you not have done this....do it now.. It improves on everything this tuner stands for... And did not use Audiophile Class caps... that was never intended by the maker...but it now switches so much easier to stereo....and more stations in stereo...and they sound with a lot more definition I wondering what this does for the "quadraphonic" sound in radio mode

I also swapped the Aluminium fascia surround for the same from its little brother STR 4064....It is the same but the black paint in better condition... Can't wait to test this 6650 in my living....

And opened up the transformer to get the nicotine smell out when it is warming up....And I just got the new aftermarket speaker terminals in... They are much saver and allow the use of banana connectors...

Still to do.... swap the speaker terminals, rewire the Speaker terminals (those original wires seem a bit thin for my taste) and Restore 4 push buttons.. Then it is time to give it a go in my living room 4 speaker system..

SO .......I cancelled the girl friend for next weekend.... Already got myself a nice bottle of the finest Whiskey (can anyone send me real Moonshine please!) Gonna prepare a kilo beef and a nice stew....and warned the neighbors they are gonna listen to good music next weekend ... all weekend...

:cool:

Back