SEVENTH SOJOURN-SQ SINGLE INVENTORY!?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fizzywiggs41

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Mark,

This is one that I find unusual as it is reported by the band as being released in" SQ "as well and of course it was made avaliable in Q4 and Q8.

Now I know all of the SACD liner notes proclaim they utilize the SQ disc system, and one has to find this relevation somewhat misleading.........Surely they have SQ confused with Q4 discreet and of course Q8 discreet, but no not with this particular release.

Unlike the other SACD'S liner notes this one actually goes on to state they released this in quad vinyl, sometime after the original stereo release.

So why do I think it's got to be a single inventory disc?

Because what else could it be.Back in the day there were no reports of a quad disc of SEVENTH SOJOURN, only the discreet tapes.

liner note pics next.

I'll start with the notes on quad, which are a footnote for all the SACD 'S

20150924_112023.jpg20150924_112102.jpg

Although this next set of pics don't state quad albums were made in vinyl , I thought I would include it as it is noteworthy in that it establishes Threshold studios as being readily/easily set up to record in quadraphonic......well into the mid 70's

These notes/pics hail from RAY THOMAS' S quad DVD release."FROM MIGHTY OAKS"

20150923_132952.jpg20150923_133020.jpg20150923_132945.jpg20150923_133025.jpg

The original stereo issue of SEVENTH SOJOURN was issued in Nov 72.This was indeed around the time of SQ promotion, and I would have to guess the quad vinyl issue was (as per those notes) released in 1973.

Disc # probably the same as THS 7 London/Threshold, but the 73 vinyl imprint might state something more revealing.

I am not aware of any SQ version as the only disc format I have seen is the CD-4 Japan release and the only Decca label releases that are matrix are QS from France. It is sad when a legit release provides wrong information in the liner notes. Are you sure you have an SACD? I mean did they get that right?
I am kidding of course. Thanks for pointing that out, I just pulled out my 1st edition SACD and am seeing the same thing.
MOODY BLUES -Seventh Sojourn. King 4D-13 (CD4) [Japan].jpg

Maybe they meant that the stereo version is QS encoded, it sure comes alive in QS.

Possibly, but I am more inclined to believe SQ .London Records did have an SQ disc in my Country and those liner notes are what we have to work with.I don't necessarily believe what one country's like label defines all the same matrix.This time period is when both QS and SQ were deep into promotion.It would be ideal to know what Encoder Threshold had of course.
At this time, early 72,73 SQ was very active in Europe as far as promotions go, and I do believe they were dominant as opposed to Sansui.Now this is not to suggest QS is out of the picture by no means.

Anyway I thought I would put this info out there, and accuracy I'm afraid comes with those liner notes.
It makes perfect sense that a matrix disc was indeed made and it is hard to deny what is written by the people in the know.

And of course this disc's timing jives with SQ in Britain and as I stated in prior post these liner notes are in addition to the SQ caveat the other's have in their liner notes.

Controversial, you bet.Revealing, I think so.

Doesn't the SACD booklet for Lost Chord also reference quad masters when no such mix occurred? This suggests the information in the booklets is less than accurate.

Doesn't the SACD booklet for Lost Chord also reference quad masters when no such mix occurred? This suggests the information in the booklets is less than accurate.

Possibly, but I don't have Lost Chord.I would bet the caveat was included with all the SACD'S and that only makes sense, even if Chord was never done up in Q4/Q8.

But we are talking one specific disc issued in quad vinyl, which fits the SQ time period.And only that disc has it's own relative information regarding a disc released in quad.

Who knows, could have been exclusive (for a limited time period).FWIW I thought I'd put it out there.Again if only we knew what encoder Threshold had.

Possibly, but I am more inclined to believe SQ .London Records did have an SQ disc in my Country and those liner notes are what we have to work with.I don't necessarily believe what one country's like label defines all the same matrix.This time period is when both QS and SQ were deep into promotion.It would be ideal to know what Encoder Threshold had of course.
At this time, early 72,73 SQ was very active in Europe as far as promotions go, and I do believe they were dominant as opposed to Sansui.Now this is not to suggest QS is out of the picture by no means.

Anyway I thought I would put this info out there, and accuracy I'm afraid comes with those liner notes.
It makes perfect sense that a matrix disc was indeed made and it is hard to deny what is written by the people in the know.

And of course this disc's timing jives with SQ in Britain and as I stated in prior post these liner notes are in addition to the SQ caveat the other's have in their liner notes.

Controversial, you bet.Revealing, I think so.

Hey fizzywiggs41, what London SQ record was released in your country?
I only know of one SQ on a London label which was licensed from the U.S. label Golden Crest for release in Canada. The U.S. release was also SQ.

GUNTHER SCHULLER/NEW ENGLAND CONSERVATORY RAGTIME ENSEMBLE - More Scott Joplin selections from "The Sting. London DLQ-3009 (SQ) [Canada] GOLDEN CREST RELEASE

All the other matrixed titles on a London label are QS and are either licensed from another label to release in another country of from the Decca label in France. It is my understanding that Decca did not support any matrix formats but why the France affiliate did is a mystery to me.

TOMMY JONES -
Tommy's Place. London SAHA-7796 (QS) [Australia] OVATION LABEL RELEASE

BONNIE KOLOC -
* After All This Time. London SAHA-7795 (QS) [Australia] OVATION LABEL RELEASE

LOS MACHUCAMBOS -
* Machucam'Bossa. London DLQ 3008 (QS) [Canada] FRANCE DECCA RELEASE

WERNER MULLER ORCHESTRA -
Live in Tokyo. London 4L-1 (QS) [Japan]

DECCA FRANCE CLASSICAL TITLES ARE ALL QS MATRIX

I appreciate the detective work and enthusiasm but feel the info in the booklet included in the SACD is incorrect. A lot of us surround fanatics had the original vinyl, reissues, etc. while owning decoders and I never thought it was a stealth quad and I have never seen any other LP version other than the Japan CD-4.
I am not saying that a one off matrixed version might have been produced but I can safely say that it has never surfaced if it does exist and folks who have had an interest in this hobby as long as I have and who I highly respect for their knowledge would agree that no LP version we have owned was quad encoded.
That being said, It might sound great in QS or SQ and if it does, enjoy it.
it would be interesting to find the person who wrote the liner notes and have them identify their source for that information.

Hi Mark, I can't remember any other titles from Canadian London, but will check my collection later. London records of Canada was a separate entity from Decca(MCA)and Decca(UK). Here they were known for releasing stuff from other countries as well as having a line or two of Canadian content discs. I do know that London of Canada did issue Golden Crest discs under their label and also imported Golden Crest discs an slapped a foil import sticker on them. I had the chance to go through the remaining stock of Sam The Record Man some years ago and found a few Golden Crest quads released here, but did not get to acquire them personally. I worked for a store in Toronto and this was a salvage operation while a building was being recycled around me.

Mark,

Yes that's correct, Gunther Schuller "Sting" on London Records Canada from the Golden Crest issue.

I almost forgot about the issuing of "RM" encoded discs on London Records Japan.And in that country it's not surprising that they issued a CD-4 disc.
Regular matrix and CD-4 were issued in drones for the Japanese consumers.Japan invented both CD-4 and QS (RM) and most of the RM variances afterall.

It's far easier to dismiss those liner notes as falsified information and yes I did too, when I first read the "caveats" regarding SQ use on those MOODY BLUES quad editions, because I know better.........they were issued in Q4 and Q8 only!

But it's the "SOJOURN" and only that disc's liner notes that got me to think that there may be a kernel of truth to the encoding of a disc at this time (73).
They (Moodies) have the studio info notes, and we don't.So where are they getting this SQ notion from?
Of course if it was a disc SQ indicated, we would know.This is why I consider "single inventory" and most likely "limited".Surely you don't think I would report that this disc was and is always encoded?

Us older quadraphiles know better and should know better.It does state "quadraphonic vinyl"sometime later ; and that should not be passed over as mis-info.Again, I emphasize those are not my words.That is the studio notes reference.

I've been sleuthing quad discs for years and successfully uncovered the odd one. (CTI/KUDU SQ) -is one of my big finds.

If you remain skeptical that's fine.....it's your priveledge to do so.I can only report what I find, and this is a find.I cannot show you an SQ Sojourn disc if that's what you need and only that would convince you.But perhaps a MOODIES collector might come up with something so who knows what exists in undiscovered quad.

fizzy

Circular Vibes thanks for any help you can provide. After so many years looking at titles I can become jaded and think I have seen it before when it is actually a release that has not been documented.

Mark,
Yes that's correct, Gunther Schuller "Sting" on London Records Canada from the Golden Crest issue.

I almost forgot about the issuing of "RM" encoded discs on London Records Japan.And in that country it's not surprising that they issued a CD-4 disc.
Regular matrix and CD-4 were issued in drones for the Japanese consumers.Japan invented both CD-4 and QS (RM) and most of the RM variances afterall.

It's far easier to dismiss those liner notes as falsified information and yes I did too, when I first read the "caveats" regarding SQ use on those MOODY BLUES quad editions, because I know better.........they were issued in Q4 and Q8 only!

But it's the "SOJOURN" and only that disc's liner notes that got me to think that there may be a kernel of truth to the encoding of a disc at this time (73).
They (Moodies) have the studio info notes, and we don't.So where are they getting this SQ notion from?
Of course if it was a disc SQ indicated, we would know.This is why I consider "single inventory" and most likely "limited".Surely you don't think I would report that this disc was and is always encoded?

Us older quadraphiles know better and should know better.It does state "quadraphonic vinyl"sometime later ; and that should not be passed over as mis-info.Again, I emphasize those are not my words.That is the studio notes reference.

I've been sleuthing quad discs for years and successfully uncovered the odd one. (CTI/KUDU SQ) -is one of my big finds.

If you remain skeptical that's fine.....it's your priveledge to do so.I can only report what I find, and this is a find.I cannot show you an SQ Sojourn disc if that's what you need and only that would convince you.But perhaps a MOODIES collector might come up with something so who knows what exists in undiscovered quad.
fizzy

fizzy, I hope that a title appears someday as we all need one more quad title for our collections.
It would be great to learn were the info for the book came from so we don't spend time looking for something that does not exist.
How many times have I seen Pink Floyd-Animals in a record price guide because a catalog number was issued for a non published recording.
It was experiences like that that prompted me to create the discography.

And thanks for the CTI find, that was a cool discovery.

fizzy, I hope that a title appears someday as we all need one more quad title for our collections.
It would be great to learn were the info for the book came from so we don't spend time looking for something that does not exist.
How many times have I seen Pink Floyd-Animals in a record price guide because a catalog number was issued for a non published recording.
It was experiences like that that prompted me to create the discography.

And thanks for the CTI find, that was a cool discovery.

Yes well I hear you , Mark, I too have a little cynicism as well.

Perhaps we will get more info regarding this at a later date (some optimism here).

I think that info you and rusti and I got from Tom Moulton is the prize winner in my humble opinion.Fantastic to get confirmation from the engineer who mixed it without quad album indication.
It bodes well that I always suspect there are matrix encodings we don't always know about,look at all the disclosures we have now long after the quad years such as;

Stephen Desper (multiple Brother's records productions).
Ed Michel-clarifying discs QS encoded (plus 2 indicated, that were not!)
Andrew Marshall-encoding with SQ discs on CBC RECORDS.
and Angel Record's guy, dimissing 2 indicated SQ discs plus 1 or 2 that were but not indicated.

I'm sure there had to be others, and time is long past unfortunately.

And I don't want to sound arrogant here, when my suspicions regarding TULL'S Too old .....was mixed in quad has now come to fruition! This long time quad sleuth is now busting with pride with that prior report.
It feels good to get one correct.

fizzy

Circular Vibes thanks for any help you can provide. After so many years looking at titles I can become jaded and think I have seen it before when it is actually a release that has not been documented.

Mark, the few London SQ quads that I saw were things like classsical and baroque music by high school bands and a couple jazz like titles on Golden Crest. They had the foil "Imported from USA by London Records of Canada(1967)" green sticker. I wasn't able to open any or take any. I left that job due to stress and low pay. I wish I could have snagged them. I saw maybe 6 or 8 titles and a few copies of each. That goes back almost ten years sooo the old gray matter is a little dull by now. I didn't find a quad section, just a few random LP's in reused boxes for delete bin storage. I wish some of the EMI UK quads had made it there as I saw them years earlier on the delete floor for 99 cents. Most of what I went through was crap with a capital C.

http://rainbow_glo.m.webs.com/site/...1&fw_sig_permission_level=0&fb_sig_network=fw

And here it is right from the "horse's mouth"

SEVENTH SOJOURN was indeed pressed in a vinyl SQ disc.

Thankyou goes to Quadtrade for the link on Moody Blues quads-interview with Derek Varnals.:D

Wait a minute. Derek says they cut a TEST PRESSING for it, and the result was disappointing. With such a reaction, and no testimony of a retail copy anywhere, it is likely that the SQ release has been scrapped.
Giving the peculiar problems of the matrix system (any system) and the fact that when they did SS they already had other Moodies albums done and released in discrete quad tape - where you have complete freedom of mix - i think that SS was not mixed for quad with SQ in mind (aka following the CBS studios recommandation), thus lending a disappointing matrixed result. When the had the possibility to do a quad lp release that kept the thing as intended, they did it: in Japan as CD4.

Back