Stereo CDs Prepared with DSD Mastering

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edisonbaggins

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
image.jpg1_5.jpg
Dang, am I curious what my Oppo will say about this!
Anybody have knowledge of these discs? Are they superior to red book CDs? Like HDCDs (20-bit)?

Essentially, it just means that it was prepared in DSD but just didn't make it to an SACD release. He has a big boxed set where all the discs are done that way, and the album you got is one of them.

Hmmm... Does dsd preparation make the discs better than red book? It's just better mastering, maybe?
If these discs aren't anything special, I'll at least spin them in my car with the homespun hafler-quad thing I did.

Hmmm... Does dsd preparation make the discs better than red book? It's just better mastering, maybe?
If these discs aren't anything special, I'll at least spin them in my car with the homespun hafler-quad thing I did.

Well the idea is that you're getting a better sounding playback from the DSD sourcing, but it's still a standard 16/44.1 disc. In 2004 there was a Japanese series of Jeff Beck releases that all had DSD mastering, as well as most of the Black Sabbath Japanese releases, from 2009, if I remember correctly. I have both sets of those, and my feeling is that they do sound better than any of the non-DSD discs. Particularly the Black Sabbath releases - although, if I could've known that the SHM-SACDs of some of those were going to come out eventually, I would have waited.

A discussion of Stereo CDs that use DSD Mastering during the disc preparation process.

The Cure CD re-issues in the Mid 2000's were from DSD mastering.. I'd love to hear the DSD...

Back