Close Encounters and Cruising Soundtracks on Audio Fidelity SACD (Nov 2015)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cupboy

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
And they are continuing the stereo releases with a couple of soundtracks. Close Encounters already came out on HDAD.

Just received email....original movie soundtracks to "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" and "Cruising" will be released on hybrid SACD. Soundtrack to "Thief" (Tangerine Dream) will be released on 180g vinyl.

Coming November 27th.

It's part of Audio Fidelity's "Let's Go To The Movies" releases due out on November 27, 2015.
This also includes a Vinyl LP edition of the soundtrack from the movie "Thief" with music by Tangerine Dream.

Close Encounters and Crusing.jpg

Looks like Cruising was going to be just a CD at first. There are two clues.

In the ad there is a picture of an SACD as well as the print says "first time on CD". I don't consider an SCAD to be a CD. Just my opinion.

A Hybrid SACD - Stereo or Multichannel - includes CD Stereo tracks. And industry studies indicate that 90% of SACD buyers are looking for CD Stereo when buying SACDs.
So it is an important element of the product.

A Hybrid SACD - Stereo or Multichannel - includes CD Stereo tracks. And industry studies indicate that 90% of SACD buyers are looking for CD Stereo when buying SACDs.
So it is an important element of the product.

I guess that is just one more reason that I am not normal, I have yet to play the CD layer or the stereo mix on a multi-channel disc. If I am paying $30 or more for an SACD, it is not getting shoved into a car player and my home machine is an Oppo that is set to play multi-channel automatically. That may change when Sly gets here though, I have not knowingly heard the mono mixes. I am curious about the other clue. The first was blatant, to my eyes.

I'll be playing the 24 bit 192khz Close Encounters in awhile, after I'm done converting it to FLAC. Here's the back cover. Notice the misprint on one of the titles?

Attachments

• close_encounters_hdad_back35.jpg
    close_encounters_hdad_back35.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 228
I guess that is just one more reason that I am not normal, I have yet to play the CD layer or the stereo mix on a multi-channel disc. If I am paying $30 or more for an SACD, it is not getting shoved into a car player and my home machine is an Oppo that is set to play multi-channel automatically. That may change when Sly gets here though, I have not knowingly heard the mono mixes. I am curious about the other clue. The first was blatant, to my eyes.
Yea, me neither. How about a bigger picture? I was thinking that the silver around the center made it look kinda like a CD. Maybe it's just me.

Close Encounters has got me thinking that maybe we can get some more classical. How about the totally ignored Living Stereo of Rossini Overtures. Or Victory At Sea (this one came out in quad).

?... Soundtrack to "Thief" (Tangerine Dream) will be released on 180g vinyl.

why, oh why on vinyl? They keep releasing the most obscure, little-known stuff on sacd which I could not care less to purchase and whenever there is one I would love to have, they either cancel it (The Friends of Mr Cairo) or choose to release on vinyl only.
Well, they must have their reasons. And I have my reasons for not buying...

why, oh why on vinyl? They keep releasing the most obscure, little-known stuff on sacd which I could not care less to purchase and whenever there is one I would love to have, they either cancel it (The Friends of Mr Cairo) or choose to release on vinyl only.
Well, they must have their reasons. And I have my reasons for not buying...

I'm a subscriber so I'll be getting these, but both are a major snooze IMHO, especially CEOTTK.
There might be a couple of tracks on Cruising that will interest me.
I would have loved Thief on SACD

You'd think subscribers would already have them. Looks like the retailers (at least the full-price ones) got them first.

Back