Jethro Tull "Too Old to Rock 'N' Roll, Too Young to Die" 2CD/2DVD Deluxe Edition

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Here's the full information on the upcoming 2CD/2DVD Deluxe Edition set of "Too Old to Rock 'N' Roll, Too Young to Die" from Jethro Tull:

To follow its stellar 1975 release Minstrel In the Gallery, Jethro Tull’s ambitious plans included a group album, in addition to a stage musical about an aging rock star. Midway through the process, however, the band decided to abandon the stage musical and use the musical songs as the basis for what would become its ninth studio album, Too Old To Rock ‘n’ Roll: Too Young To Die!
Before the album’s 40th anniversary next spring, Parlophone will release a deluxe edition of TOO OLD TO ROCK ‘N’ ROLL: TOO YOUNG TO DIE! in the fall. This 2CD/2DVD set will be available on November 27.

Highlights from the set include:
An unreleased, alternate version of the album recorded for a British television special and remixed by Steven Wilson
Bonus tracks (18 previously unreleased), all mixed to 5.1 surround and stereo by Steven Wilson
Flat transfer of the original LP mix at 96/24
Commercial debut of footage from the television special
Presented in a case-bound DVD book that includes an 80-page booklet with an extensive history of the album, track-by-track annotations by Ian Anderson, plus rare and unseen photographs
Includes the gatefold cartoon from the original album drawn by renowned comic artist Dave Gibbons

TOO OLD TO ROCK ‘N’ ROLL: TOO YOUNG TO DIE! was the band’s first with John Glascock on bass and backing vocals. But it wasn’t just the band dynamic that was changing, the music was evolving too, and this album helped bridge the progressive rock of Tull’s early years with the folk-rock that would shape its musical direction throughout the late Seventies.

The first disc features an unreleased, alternate version of the album that the band recorded for a British television special. At the time, union rules forbid bands from lip-syncing the original album on television, which is why Jethro Tull found itself in a studio re-recording the album in March 1976. For this deluxe edition, Steven Wilson re-mixed that alternate version of the album, as well as five songs earmarked for the finished album, including “Big Dipper,” “From A Dead Beat To An Old Greaser” and the title track.
It should be noted that the album couldn’t be totally remixed because multi-track recordings for several songs are missing.

The second CD includes nine rare and unreleased bonus tracks like “Commercial Traveller,” “Salamander Ragtime” and an early version of “One Brown Mouse”, plus a flat transfer of the original album.

The first DVD includes the commercial debut of the entire British television special along with several audio mixes of the show: DTS & Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound, and Dolby Digital Stereo. The audio from the special is also included in 96/24 stereo PCM. The five tracks from the original LP are here as well, in DTS & Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound and 96/24 stereo PCM.

The second DVD includes some mixes of the associated recordings in DTS & Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound and 96/24 stereo PCM. Also featured is a flat transfer of the original LP at 96/24 stereo PCM, in addition to a flat transfer of the original 1976 Quad LP Production Master with DTS 4.0 and Dolby Digital AC3 4.0 surround sound.

CD1 RE-RECORDED ALBUM FOR TV SPECIAL: MORGAN STUDIO, MARCH 1976 (Remixed by Steven Wilson)
Prelude
Quiz Kid
Crazed Institution
Salamander
Taxi Grab
From A Dead Beat To An Old Greaser
Bad Eyed And Loveless
Big Dipper
Too Old To Rock ‘n’ Roll: Too Young To Die!
Pied Piper
The Chequered Flag (Dead Or Alive)
-BONUS TRACKS: STEVEN WILSON REMIXES OF ALBUM RECORDINGS-
Bad Eyed And Loveless
Big Dipper
Quiz Kid (Version 1) (Monte Carlo Out-take

CD2 ASSOCIATED RECORDINGS (REMIXED BY STEVEN WILSON)
Salamander’s Rag Time
Commercial Traveller
Salamander (Instrumental)
A Small Cigar (Acoustic Version)
Strip Cartoon
One Brown Mouse (Early Version)
A Small Cigar (Orchestrated Version)
Too Old To Rock ‘n’ Roll: Too Young To Die! (Demo)
-FLAT TRANSFER OF ORIGINAL 1976 STEREO MASTER-
Prelude
Quiz Kid
Crazed Institution
Salamander
Taxi Grab
Bad Eyed And Loveless
Big Dipper
Pied Piper

DVD1 AUDIO & VIDEO (REMIXED BY STEVEN WILSON)
Too Old To Rock ‘n’ Roll: Too Young To Die! - TV film with DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound and Dolby Digital Stereo
Too Old To Rock ‘n’ Roll: Too Young To Die! - TV audio in 96/24 stereo PCM
Five Original LP Tracks with DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound and 96/24 stereo PCM.

DVD2 ASSOCIATED RECORDINGS
Salamander‘s Rag Time (with DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound and 96/24 stereo PCM)
Commercial Traveller (with DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound and 96/24 stereo PCM)
A Small Cigar (Acoustic Version) (with DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound and 96/24 stereo PCM)
Strip Cartoon (with DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound and 96/24 stereo PCM)
Quiz Kid (version 1) (in 96/24 stereo PCM)
One Brown Mouse (early version) Original Master Mix (in 96/24 stereo PCM)
Salamander (Instrumental) (in 96/24 stereo PCM)
Strip Cartoon Original Master Mix (in 96/24 stereo PCM)
A Small Cigar (orchestrated version) (Original Rough Mix) (in 96/24 stereo PCM)
Too Old To Rock ‘n’ Roll: Too Young To Die! Demo (in 96/24 stereo PCM)

A flat transfer of the original 1976 Quad LP Production Master with DTS 4.0 and Dolby Digital AC3 4.0 surround sound.
A flat transfer of the original 1976 LP master at 96/24 stereo PCM.

The good news is the excellent TV special is included in DTS 5.1. The bad bad news is that only 5 tracks of the proper album are in 5.1, due to missing multi-tracks, unless I'm reading the above incorrectly.

The good news is the excellent TV special is included in DTS 5.1. The bad bad news is that only 5 tracks of the proper album are in 5.1, due to missing multi-tracks, unless I'm reading the above incorrectly.

Yes, that's correct. Only 5 songs have been remixed from the proper album due to missing tapes, but like you said, we do get the full TV version of the album in remixed stereo and surround sound, and we also get the full album in discrete Quad too, so that's good news too! :)

Damn you Ian! I hate you but your music is so good!

Hmm but all original tracks do have some surround, even if it is not in 5.1 it is atleast in 4.0?

Preorder Links Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow!!!!! :banana:

I don't remember seeing this on TV (I could have been out and about gallivanting when I should have been studying for my A levels!), anybody know when it was transmitted, and on which channel? we did only have 3 to choose from then! But it could have been on one of the regional ITV channels.

I don't remember seeing this on TV (I could have been out and about gallivanting when I should have been studying for my A levels!), anybody know when it was transmitted, and on which channel? we did only have 3 to choose from then! But it could have been on one of the regional ITV channels.

Broadcast on 16 June 1976 on London Weekend Television (ITV to us!). I was only 11 then, and I don't remember it being on either, but I do have an old VHS copy of it in a box in the garage. Its excellent stuff.

Broadcast on 16 June 1976 on London Weekend Television (ITV to us!). I was only 11 then, and I don't remember it being on either, but I do have an old VHS copy of it in a box in the garage. Its excellent stuff.

I lived north of London then so it would have been LWT. I'd have finished my A level exams by then, so via the wonders of the internet it turns out that was a Wednesday, so I'd have been in the pub!

Hmm but all original tracks do have some surround, even if it is not in 5.1 it is atleast in 4.0?

Yep. Even though some tapes finally turned up as missing for a Tull album after a 6 album streak (non-album tracks not included), at least for this album they have the full Quad mix and a discrete 5.1 mix of the TV re-recording, so we lucked out with this set. Let's hope no tapes are missing for the remaining 70s albums, especially for "Songs from the wood"! :)

Yep. Even though some tapes finally turned up as missing for a Tull album after a 6 album streak (non-album tracks not included), at least for this album they have the full Quad mix and a discrete 5.1 mix of the TV re-recording, so we lucked out with this set. Let's hope no tapes are missing for the remaining 70s albums, especially for "Songs from the wood"! :)

Too Old To Rock 'N' Roll is not one of my favourites but has some good songs, hearing it in surround for the first time will take it up a notch or two I think. Lets hope for the full multi's for 1977's "Songs From The Wood" & 1978's "Heavy Horses" are available. 'Songs..' is very much an album I associate with the being a carefree student :music when my hair grew from my head down, not from the back up! :violin

With the Warchild release, there are several tracks where I felt the quad mix was on par with the 5.1 mix. The new mix did have slightly better sonics though.

This looks like a winner to me! :)
91yle7PTUCL._SL1500_.jpg

Steven Wilson's post on the upcoming release on his Remixes Facebook Page:
Parlophone Records have announced the next in the series of expanded Jethro Tull 40th anniversary sets for release on 27th November, this time for 1976 album "Too Old To Rock’n’Roll: Too Young to Die". “The TV Special Edition" contains my remixes in stereo and 5.1 surround sound. As with the previous three releases in the series, it consists of 2 CDs and 2 DVDs. CD1 contains a 2015 remix of a version of the album re-recorded for a TV special, and remixes of the 5 album multitrack masters that could be located (alas 5 could not). CD2 consists of a complete flat transfer of the original stereo mix, and 8 bonus tracks, 7 of which are 2015 remixes. Among these are 2 previously unheard songs; Salamander’s Ragtime (completely unrelated to album track Salamander), and Commercial Traveller. A further previously announced out-take Advertising Man was ultimately found to be not sufficiently complete to merit inclusion.
DVD1 features the TV special broadcast in full, making it’s commercial debut and with the remixed soundtrack in high res stereo and 5.1 surround sound. The 5 album track remixes are also included in 5.1 surround sound and high resolution stereo. DVD2 features the bonus tracks in high res audio, 4 also in 5.1 surround sound, and flat transfers of the original stereo and quadraphonic mixes.
As with all of the Tull deluxe editions, this is a limited run, presented in a case-bound DVD book that includes an 80-page booklet with an extensive history of the album, track-by-track annotations by Ian Anderson, plus rare and unseen photographs.

A note from Ian Anderson (http://jethrotull.com/too-old-to-rock-n-roll-too-young-to-die-40th-anniversary-edition/):
Well, here we are with a slight return to the heady years of 1976 and the notion that you’re never too old to rock and roll.

Remixed by Steven Wilson and unleashing upon an unprepared fan base the additional tracks, TV show recordings as well as other goodies, this collection brings back memories for me at any rate.

Unfortunately, some memories have not returned to their rightful owner as I have little recollection of even recording the additional archive tracks. But there they are in glorious analogue multi-track form so it must have really happened. Enjoy and suck in the heady air of the seventies and promise not to laugh at the silly cozies and the hair-sprayed mane.

It's also now available to preorder from Burning Shed at this link: https://www.burningshed.com/store/jethrotull/product/444/7009/

:)

What I like about this besides the 5.1 mixes, is the album in quad.A true rarity for the quad collectors.Finally for us all to hear.

Looks as though that moronic idiot who posted the suspicion that this album may be in quad for the upcoming reissue was right. (I refer to that miscreant quad sleuther who posted this quad possibilty in the reviews of "Minstrel")

Anyone notice the almost lack of advertising that the release contains the unissued quad mix. Dig just a little and all we are getting is it in DTS and dolby, no lossless. Already a mark down.

Back