HiRez Poll Sly and the Family Stone - GREATEST HITS [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Sly and the Family Stone - GREATEST HITS

• Total voters
Try going first to the music you consider "lower fidelity" when starting a listening session...i.e. much of the 60's pop. Then proceed to the better sounding stuff. Going backwards never works for me. Oh, and may I dare suggest tone controls / equalization? (Gasp!)
I know, sometimes I wish I had tone controls. They where so common back in the day, how come the industry did away with them?

The music on this collection is obviously first class. The mixes are not uniform but they are fun! There are certain moments that sound amazing...the horns on the rears on Everyday People for example. The bass is more prominent in the mono single mixes (which sound great) but these mixes are great in their own right.

OK, I'm not real proud of this, but I had to change my vote from a 9 to a 7. I mean, I'm listening now and there is absolutely NO bass. Which is a deal breaker for me. There are so many other titles from this era, in either Quad or 5.1 that blow this away in terms of bass. :(

Yeah, the Quadness is killer though, and the music...well....obviously top shelf.

OK, I'm not real proud of this, but I had to change my vote from a 9 to a 7. I mean, I'm listening now and there is absolutely NO bass. Which is a deal breaker for me. There are so many other titles from this era, in either Quad or 5.1 that blow this away in terms of bass. :(

Yeah, the Quadness is killer though, and the music...well....obviously top shelf.

As an example, King Crimson, In The Court of Crimson King...the new Wilson mix. Bass is awesome.....no comparison, not even on the same field.

aww, come on Gene....you know where the "bass" slider/EQ is....

aww, come on Gene....you know where the "bass" slider/EQ is....
Yes Gene, those big Klipshes probably are begging for some bass EQ. Feed them beasts!

It is for me (and it is indeed very 70's) :)

View attachment 44134

Plenty of bass coming out of my rear left speaker...
I always thought Sly and his Family had a good audible bass player. And it is there on the Hits album. Maybe I need to relisten and reevaluate this disc and knock it down a couple notches as well if they failed to mix in any bass, gee.

I agree with you. If the fundamental bass frequency (the one you feel) isn’t there, no amount of EQ can bring it back. Perhaps we’re only hearing the bass harmonics on this release?
A lot of this 60s pop material was bass shy. Perhaps it’s because it was produced to sound good on AM radio.

This is an important quad artifact and music of such historical importance plus pop entertainment value, that I can’t see it as anything lower than a 9.

I like it so much that I only play it once or twice a year as to not burn out on it - since I’m already borderline over familiar with the songs as is. It still retains some freshness and good memories.

Always wondered what this would sound with a dbx 120XS unit in its path
Doesn't DBX need to be recorded (encoded) with DBX during the mixing in order to utilize (decode) it in playback? Adding it after would not be as effective?

First time I’ve done this - I just changed my vote from an 8 to a 9. I must have been a bit concerned with the sq of the earliest one or two songs here are not as sonically strong as the others. This why it’s not a 10. But I now feel that this disc and the songs make too strong an entertaining set musically and as quad demo playback to be an 8.

Back