Thanks Thanks:  133
Likes Likes:  203
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 90

Thread: My DVD-A Project - Original material

  1. #1
    Malnarnian edisonbaggins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    East Bay, CA
    Posts
    2,788
    Points
    13,473
    Level
    75
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 177
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocialTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default My DVD-A Project - Original material

    Ok, so after a couple months of kicking it around, I've decided to do this.

    This is a project to produce a DVD-A of original material, both solo songs and some from bands/projects I've been in.
    If selected, songs could date back to around 1998, when I first started writing complete songs. I'm also working to finish some brand-new stuff.

    Potential project name is Magnets & Miracles - A Collection

    Plan9 will be doing mixing and mastering. Perhaps another member here will be doing authoring, but that hasn't been worked out.
    Other things to consider are: artwork, disc manufacture, web design, how to get material reviewed, among issues I haven't thought of yet.

    For various reasons, the plan is to mix songs one at a time, probably around the rate of one per month.

    A little background on me:

    I've been a part of lots of local bands that went nowhere. I've taken part in the online collaboration The Boogeymen, produced a solo album called Out the Window in 2009 and most recently recorded two albums with American prog-hard rock band MotH (M.O.T.H.). I'm pretty sure the MotH albums are on iTunes and some leftover discs of Out the Window are up on Amerzon.
    I'll post links to free versions.

    As an independent artist, I'd say I've experienced modest success. My album Out the Window recovered all costs, the proceeds going to charities with connections to some of the songs.

    Here is a playlist of some candidate songs:
    https://soundcloud.com/mike-vieira/s...gnets-miracles

    I would really love some feedback, from those who have time and inclination to listen, as to what songs QQ members would most like to hear in surround.
    I don't think we'll be able to do the whole list. Ideally, I'd like to pare things down to a normal album length and concentrate on the "best" songs.

    For Plan9's test mix of one of the songs, see this post:
    http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/foru...l=1#post266735

    Out the Window CD is available here:
    http://www.amazon.com/Out-Window-Mik...ds=mike+vieira

    This is not my best work... I like about 1/2 of it still, but it was a great learning experience (how NOT to make an album) and there is some compelling stuff on there.

    All right, I think that's enough for now. I look forward to any feedback. Thanks especially for listening.

  2. #2
    A.K.A. - GOS GOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    6,959
    Points
    42,119
    Level
    100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: My DVD-A Project - Original material

    I'm all about this...very cool. My super busy time at work is winding down, so I will/should have time to listen to music...(which I haven't had in the last 40 days more or less)

    Thanks for posting this....

  3. Thanks Plan9, edisonbaggins thanked for this post
    Likes edisonbaggins, Simon A liked this post
  4. #3
    1K Club - QQ Shooting Star Robert van Diggele's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Woerden, The Netherlands
    Posts
    2,590
    Points
    35,487
    Level
    100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassSocial25000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: My DVD-A Project - Original material

    Great plan Mike, always nice to support fellow QQ members. Will check out the first mixed song by Thomas this weekend. Plus some of your other work.

  5. Thanks Plan9, edisonbaggins thanked for this post
    Likes edisonbaggins, Simon A liked this post
  6. #4
    Malnarnian edisonbaggins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    East Bay, CA
    Posts
    2,788
    Points
    13,473
    Level
    75
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 177
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocialTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: My DVD-A Project - Original material

    Free download of 1st MotH album, Mars on the Horizon:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...m-download.zip

    Free download of 2nd MotH album, Magus Orbis Terrae Hereditas:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2-download.zip

    I'll get Out the Window up in Dropbox ASAP.

  7. Likes Plan9, Simon A liked this post
  8. #5
    1K Club - QQ Shooting Star DennisMoore Jr.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    SouthEast USA
    Posts
    1,020
    Points
    26,255
    Level
    96
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 95
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: My DVD-A Project - Original material

    Hi Good young Sir Baggins!

    I downloaded and played the flac for: M.O.T.H. - Disturbing the Universe 5.1 mix. First... I'd like to thank you for giving me incentive to fix my home theater to play 5.1 FLACs.

    My perspective is that of a long time guitarist/keyboardist/songwriter who chose to work in electronics/IT to make actual $$$. I have played guitar in a RUSH cover band and I have done some recording a long time ago in the analog world. I even was lucky enough to have had an impromptu duet with Keith Emerson on an old banged up piano far a couple of hours! So my dream has always been to produce music that rivals what is sold commercially. This is where I am coming from.

    OK. I really enjoyed the eight minute plus track. It was easy to listen to a second time to get a better grip on it.

    Had you done three minute pop stuff I still would have been supportive, but it was a nice surprise that your music has movements/dynamics and takes time to breathe and grow.

    I LOVE the harmonies and Thomas did a fabulous job by panning them nice and wide & fat. I wish Steven Wilson would do that more with his work(remixing existing recordings), but alas, a "remixer" is always terribly worried about altering the "original feel".

    Plan9's mix is fabulous and spreads all the guitars & vocals & leads that I think surround technology mandates. Too many artists still think "stereo" when mixing for surround(just my $.02).

    Fantastic arrangement, vocal performance, lead playing. Lots of great stuff here to praise & enjoy.

    Now(in the context of getting this song to compete with today's very high sonic standards) here's what I would address in this particular recording.

    The drums: They need to be better recorded, they are kinda muddy, and me personally, I don't like Steven Wilson's obsession(my words) with the center channel. I never want to hear any instrument direct from any speaker. It ruins the quite pleasant "sonic illusiion" of panning between two points of sound emission(speakers). I'm not a fan of "hard panning" at all. Being a little bit off center from whatever speaker is chosen always adds some nice depth.

    -edit- Muddy drums are preventing the drum component mixing placement to come through

    The narration could be moved to the rears. Like 80% left & 20% right. The way it is conflicts with the vocals, so it seems at first that perhaps the music just has this narration. If it comes from "elsewhere" the listener knows to wait for vocals from the center(ish).

    Or the narration could be panned half between the LF & LR to make it seem like the person is speaking to the side of you. Hundreds of options possible for track assignments in space! I just think this mix is too "center-centric". But that is just me. Obviously Steven Wilson is doing just fine by putting vocals and drums(YES - The YES Album) and lots of other instruments in the center.

    Ok, that's my $.02. I hope its not too direct. As a musician, I know we like to ask people what they think. The hard part is listening to what they have to say.

    Thank you so much eddisonbaggins & Plan9 for sharing you work & art with me. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

    Cheers!

    DMJ
    Last edited by DennisMoore Jr.; 10-24-2015 at 02:36 PM.
    No animals were harmed nor photos uploaded to QQ in this post!

  9. Thanks Plan9, edisonbaggins thanked for this post
    Likes Simon A, edisonbaggins liked this post
  10. #6
    Malnarnian edisonbaggins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    East Bay, CA
    Posts
    2,788
    Points
    13,473
    Level
    75
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 177
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocialTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: My DVD-A Project - Original material

    Dennis, thank you for the feedback!

    Regarding drums: much, much greater granularity for the drum recordings exists, than was used for this test (there are like 2 - 3 dozen different tracks, but only 8 were selected) - for many songs, this one included.
    So, if Thomas needs more flexibility and control over drum tones, there are options there.

    I too agree that surround mixes should not just be stereo with fun surround stuff bolted on - I will always argue and push for unique and interesting use of the surround field to the extent that it is tasteful and doesn't overly distract or detract from the music.

    Regarding honest feedback, give it. Obviously too many chefs spoil a soup, but good, insightful, constructive feedback should make this project more successful than if it were concocted in a vacuum.
    I do have an ego, but I try to temper it for the sake of the art. So, as the performer, even if criticism were "a certain part needs to be resung" or something, hey, it could happen.

  11. Likes DennisMoore Jr., Plan9 liked this post
  12. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,710
    Points
    14,931
    Level
    79
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 419
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: My DVD-A Project - Original material

    Quote Originally Posted by DennisMoore Jr. View Post
    Hi Good young Sir Baggins!

    I downloaded and played the flac for: M.O.T.H. - Disturbing the Universe 5.1 mix. First... I'd like to thank you for giving me incentive to fix my home theater to play 5.1 FLACs.

    My perspective is that of a long time guitarist/keyboardist/songwriter who chose to work in electronics/IT to make actual $$$. I have played guitar in a RUSH cover band and I have done some recording a long time ago in the analog world. I even was lucky enough to have had an impromptu duet with Keith Emerson on an old banged up piano far a couple of hours! So my dream has always been to produce music that rivals what is sold commercially. This is where I am coming from.

    OK. I really enjoyed the eight minute plus track. It was easy to listen to a second time to get a better grip on it.

    Had you done three minute pop stuff I still would have been supportive, but it was a nice surprise that your music has movements/dynamics and takes time to breathe and grow.

    I LOVE the harmonies and Thomas did a fabulous job by panning them nice and wide & fat. I wish Steven Wilson would do that more with his work(remixing existing recordings), but alas, a "remixer" is always terribly worried about altering the "original feel".

    Plan9's mix is fabulous and spreads all the guitars & vocals & leads that I think surround technology mandates. Too many artists still think "stereo" when mixing for surround(just my $.02).

    Fantastic arrangement, vocal performance, lead playing. Lots of great stuff here to praise & enjoy.

    Now(in the context of getting this song to compete with today's very high sonic standards) here's what I would address in this particular recording.

    The drums: They need to be better recorded, they are kinda muddy, and me personally, I don't like Steven Wilson's obsession(my words) with the center channel. I never want to hear any instrument direct from any speaker. It ruins the quite pleasant "sonic illusiion" of panning between two points of sound emission(speakers). I'm not a fan of "hard panning" at all. Being a little bit off center from whatever speaker is chosen always adds some nice depth.

    I'd spread the drums out all along the full range of the LF & RF, pan the snare like 70% left & 30% right. Some tom toms that go to the rears would be nice as well. The snare drum and lead vocals occupying the same space kinda makes the mix a bit muddy.

    The narration could be moved to the rears. Like 80% left & 20% right. The way it is conflicts with the vocals, so it seems at first that perhaps the music just has this narration. If it comes from "elsewhere" the listener knows to wait for vocals from the center(ish).

    Or the narration could be panned half between the LF & LR to make it seem like the person is speaking to the side of you. Hundreds of options possible for track assignments in space! I just think this mix is too "center-centric". But that is just me. Obviously Steven Wilson is doing just fine by putting vocals and drums(YES - The YES Album) and lots of other instruments in the center.

    Ok, that's my $.02. I hope its not too direct. As a musician, I know we like to ask people what they think. The hard part is listening to what they have to say.

    Thank you so much eddisonbaggins & Plan9 for sharing you work & art with me. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

    Cheers!

    DMJ
    I disagree, never have anything off center. Lead vocal should be in center IMO, or move to each individual speaker. Are you saying have vocals learning towards one speaker instead of in the middle? I have worked on getting my stereo imaging right for years. What I think you are suggesting is crazy, please correct me if I am wrong.

    I am listening to surround track now, will comment on mix soon. Cheers for that.

  13. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,710
    Points
    14,931
    Level
    79
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 419
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: My DVD-A Project - Original material

    Quote Originally Posted by edisonbaggins View Post
    Ok, so after a couple months of kicking it around, I've decided to do this.

    This is a project to produce a DVD-A of original material, both solo songs and some from bands/projects I've been in.
    If selected, songs could date back to around 1998, when I first started writing complete songs. I'm also working to finish some brand-new stuff.

    Potential project name is Magnets & Miracles - A Collection

    Plan9 will be doing mixing and mastering. Perhaps another member here will be doing authoring, but that hasn't been worked out.
    Other things to consider are: artwork, disc manufacture, web design, how to get material reviewed, among issues I haven't thought of yet.

    For various reasons, the plan is to mix songs one at a time, probably around the rate of one per month.

    A little background on me:

    I've been a part of lots of local bands that went nowhere. I've taken part in the online collaboration The Boogeymen, produced a solo album called Out the Window in 2009 and most recently recorded two albums with American prog-hard rock band MotH (M.O.T.H.). I'm pretty sure the MotH albums are on iTunes and some leftover discs of Out the Window are up on Amerzon.
    I'll post links to free versions.

    As an independent artist, I'd say I've experienced modest success. My album Out the Window recovered all costs, the proceeds going to charities with connections to some of the songs.

    Here is a playlist of some candidate songs:
    https://soundcloud.com/mike-vieira/s...gnets-miracles

    I would really love some feedback, from those who have time and inclination to listen, as to what songs QQ members would most like to hear in surround.
    I don't think we'll be able to do the whole list. Ideally, I'd like to pare things down to a normal album length and concentrate on the "best" songs.

    For Plan9's test mix of one of the songs, see this post:
    http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/foru...l=1#post266735

    Out the Window CD is available here:
    http://www.amazon.com/Out-Window-Mik...ds=mike+vieira

    This is not my best work... I like about 1/2 of it still, but it was a great learning experience (how NOT to make an album) and there is some compelling stuff on there.

    All right, I think that's enough for now. I look forward to any feedback. Thanks especially for listening.
    First impressions are very good, I like the music. I will listen to all the tracks on the 2 albums when I can and give feedback on favs. I like the track mixed in surround.

  14. Thanks edisonbaggins thanked for this post
    Likes edisonbaggins, JanBakker liked this post
  15. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,710
    Points
    14,931
    Level
    79
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 419
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: My DVD-A Project - Original material

    Quote Originally Posted by edisonbaggins View Post
    Dennis, thank you for the feedback!

    Regarding drums: much, much greater granularity for the drum recordings exists, than was used for this test (there are like 2 - 3 dozen different tracks, but only 8 were selected) - for many songs, this one included.
    So, if Thomas needs more flexibility and control over drum tones, there are options there.

    I too agree that surround mixes should not just be stereo with fun surround stuff bolted on - I will always argue and push for unique and interesting use of the surround field to the extent that it is tasteful and doesn't overly distract or detract from the music.

    Regarding honest feedback, give it. Obviously too many chefs spoil a soup, but good, insightful, constructive feedback should make this project more successful than if it were concocted in a vacuum.
    I do have an ego, but I try to temper it for the sake of the art. So, as the performer, even if criticism were "a certain part needs to be resung" or something, hey, it could happen.
    I totally agree with this.

  16. Thanks edisonbaggins thanked for this post
    Likes edisonbaggins, JanBakker liked this post
  17. #10
    Mix & Mastering Engineer Plan9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Toulouse, France
    Posts
    435
    Points
    5,360
    Level
    47
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 190
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: My DVD-A Project - Original material

    Quote Originally Posted by DennisMoore Jr. View Post
    The snare drum and lead vocals occupying the same space kinda makes the mix a bit muddy.

    DMJ
    Thanks Dennis for your comments.
    I heard them all and just wanted to address the point I quoted: the snare drum is actually more like 30% in the phantom center while the main vocals are indeed 95% in the center channel. It should be somewhat apparent on a 5.1 system with a great imaging but it is a hard thing to get. My 5.1 placement might be a little too near-field. I may have to compensate more for that at mixing in the future.

    Also, the drums are actually occupying the whole FL-FR gamut, but like on a real set, the toms are slightly more inwards than the cymbals. Might have to compensate for that as well.
    Again, thank you for the feedback.
    Athome Audio Mastering
    Hi-Res, CD, Vinyl / Surround Mixing / Consulting
    www.athome-mastering.com

  18. Thanks edisonbaggins thanked for this post
    Likes edisonbaggins liked this post
  19. #11
    Mix & Mastering Engineer Plan9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Toulouse, France
    Posts
    435
    Points
    5,360
    Level
    47
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 190
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: My DVD-A Project - Original material

    Quote Originally Posted by edisonbaggins View Post
    Regarding drums: much, much greater granularity for the drum recordings exists, than was used for this test (there are like 2 - 3 dozen different tracks, but only 8 were selected
    I actually used 15 tracks for the drums alone (some stereo), but I don't think the number of individual tracks is the problem. When heard mixed in isolation, the drums sound very real and 'there', it's all the other stuff added afterwards (I usually mix drums and bass first) that tends to muddy the mix, notably the guitars. I didn't retouch them enough because I wanted to keep the 'weight' and punch they have to them, but I guess it's too much of a good thing.
    Athome Audio Mastering
    Hi-Res, CD, Vinyl / Surround Mixing / Consulting
    www.athome-mastering.com

  20. Thanks edisonbaggins thanked for this post
    Likes edisonbaggins liked this post
  21. #12
    Malnarnian edisonbaggins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    East Bay, CA
    Posts
    2,788
    Points
    13,473
    Level
    75
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 177
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocialTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: My DVD-A Project - Original material

    Quote Originally Posted by keenly View Post
    I will listen to all the tracks on the 2 albums when I can and give feedback on favs.
    Thank you for listening and your feedback is highly valued! I would like to clarify about candidate tracks:

    Any song in the soundcloud playlist called Magnets & Miracles is a candidate. Any song from Out the Window could be a candidate if I hear that enough people like it (I will upload within a day, I hope). A few more tracks from the MotH records could be candidates, but several tracks are off the table, due to a band member's request:

    East of Eden
    Dividing Line
    Whispers in the Dark
    Human Chain
    and
    A World Apart.

    And to further an earlier point: if you love a song, but hate the arrangement, say something. If you love a song, but the vox need to be redone, say something. Same for if you wish there were a different part of some kind (particularly if you or someone you know can perform the part). I don't want to get in to a whole lot of revisionism, but, as tracks are selected for mixing I may have some opportunity to achieve reasonable improvements. But if something ain't broke, I don't want to fix it.

  22. Thanks symbionproject thanked for this post
  23. #13
    1K Club - QQ Shooting Star DennisMoore Jr.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    SouthEast USA
    Posts
    1,020
    Points
    26,255
    Level
    96
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 95
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: My DVD-A Project - Original material

    Quote Originally Posted by Plan9 View Post
    Thanks Dennis for your comments.
    I heard them all and just wanted to address the point I quoted: the snare drum is actually more like 30% in the phantom center while the main vocals are indeed 95% in the center channel. It should be somewhat apparent on a 5.1 system with a great imaging but it is a hard thing to get. My 5.1 placement might be a little too near-field. I may have to compensate more for that at mixing in the future.

    Also, the drums are actually occupying the whole FL-FR gamut, but like on a real set, the toms are slightly more inwards than the cymbals. Might have to compensate for that as well.
    Again, thank you for the feedback.
    Hi Thomas,

    Ok, I just played it again. Yes, now I see your panning assignments, but the drums are just too muddy overall, they don't allow the "positional cues" to really come through. When one listens casually the drums are too much of a blur and your work placing drum components doesn't shine through.

    We got to clear up/sharpen/brighten the drums and then it will be perfect.

    For comparison, directly after, I played PT - The Sound Of Muzak(5.1 DVD-A). What Paul Northfield did with Gavin's drums is "what I need to know before I die". Sonic perfection. I've never heard drums compliment music so perfectly. I've seen PT in concert(twice) and the clarity of the drums blew me away. It really takes the music to a whole new level of sonic enjoyment.

    Your individual drum assignments are fine and very similar to The Sound Of Muzak, but the drums are so muddy, your placements don't come across to the mind's eye.

    Thanks for writing back to me, because it made me go back and listen again,the "sonics" of an instrument can really influence
    placement perception & clarity.

    We gotta fix the drums. Perhaps it was in the way they were recorded??? Last thing I want to do is start something between you(the mixer) and recording engineer. But I think that is it. Its the way the drums sound. Not sharp or clear enough.

    Upon listening again, more things come to me about your surround mix! It is fantastic!



    @Good Sir Keenly: I think we're talking about different things. For what I'm saying, I'd give an example of JT - Skating Away.... compare the quad mix(the vocals are in the room with you!) and then Steven's mix - the vocals are more localized from the center. I prefer the great "illusion" of the voice being in the room with me.

    As for panning. Take any signal and pan it hard left or right. It sounds kinda dead. Then just pan it outward slightly. It comes alive even though it still sounds to the ear that it is has the direction from which it was sent from.
    No animals were harmed nor photos uploaded to QQ in this post!

  24. #14
    1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,976
    Points
    19,503
    Level
    88
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 347
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: My DVD-A Project - Original material

    Quote Originally Posted by Plan9 View Post
    I actually used 15 tracks for the drums alone (some stereo), but I don't think the number of individual tracks is the problem. When heard mixed in isolation, the drums sound very real and 'there', it's all the other stuff added afterwards (I usually mix drums and bass first) that tends to muddy the mix, notably the guitars. I didn't retouch them enough because I wanted to keep the 'weight' and punch they have to them, but I guess it's too much of a good thing.
    i agree with Dennis in regard of drums sound. for this kind of music it's been quite lost and definitely has needs in more prominent role in the mix.
    lil'bit upfront with sharper attack for snares and added juice to kick drum.

  25. Likes JanBakker liked this post
  26. #15
    1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,976
    Points
    19,503
    Level
    88
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 347
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: My DVD-A Project - Original material

    @edisonbaggins
    hey Mike, i'm wondering why do you decide to make compilation instead of reissuing of respective albums, remixed into surround?
    albeit "Mars On The Horizon" in my opinion pretty generic sounding with reminiscences of rock wave of 80s
    but it's personal antipathy to this timespan in rock music.
    the second album is more mature with plenty of unique, distinguishable elements in approach to sound and musical arrangement.
    in fact i like it very much and think it absolutely fit for surround mix.
    in regard of sound quality - no offence but both are have terrible sound fidelity and dynamic.

  27. Likes Plan9 liked this post
  28. #16
    Mix & Mastering Engineer Plan9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Toulouse, France
    Posts
    435
    Points
    5,360
    Level
    47
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 190
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: My DVD-A Project - Original material

    Quote Originally Posted by 0tto View Post
    in regard of sound quality - no offence but both are have terrible sound fidelity and dynamic.
    That's partly because of the original mastering, partly because of the mix (and a bit because of the recording), and that's why we ware planning on remastering the original mixes besides remixing.
    Athome Audio Mastering
    Hi-Res, CD, Vinyl / Surround Mixing / Consulting
    www.athome-mastering.com

  29. Thanks JanBakker thanked for this post
  30. #17
    Malnarnian edisonbaggins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    East Bay, CA
    Posts
    2,788
    Points
    13,473
    Level
    75
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 177
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocialTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: My DVD-A Project - Original material

    Quote Originally Posted by 0tto View Post
    @edisonbaggins
    hey Mike, i'm wondering why do you decide to make compilation instead of reissuing of respective albums, remixed into surround?
    albeit "Mars On The Horizon" in my opinion pretty generic sounding with reminiscences of rock wave of 80s
    but it's personal antipathy to this timespan in rock music.
    the second album is more mature with plenty of unique, distinguishable elements in approach to sound and musical arrangement.
    in fact i like it very much and think it absolutely fit for surround mix.
    in regard of sound quality - no offence but both are have terrible sound fidelity and dynamic.
    No offense taken at all. We did the best we could with what we had. Now, the idea is to sonically treat the music better - to do the best we can with what we have.

    The point of the project is to remix music I have been involved in over the years, plus a few new tracks. I do not have rights (or permission) to all the MotH songs. Of all my musical collaborators and bandmates over the years, I am the only one who is passionate about hi-res and/or surround. There is only one of know of who even owns any hi-res or surround. So, he is an enthusiast, but not nearly passionate enough to endure the pain of attempting a project like this.

    I always find it interesting to hear opinions and perspectives on the MotH records, my own tracks and other projects I've sung or played on. But, one thing I've learned, is there's no accounting for taste! One person's absolute favorite song will be another person's least-liked (or most-hated) one. There are fans of the 1st MotH record out there who don't like the 2nd as much. There are those who love Out the Window and think the MotH stuff is just ok or not their cup o' tea. And I have my preferences too! I'm not particularly interested in reworking all the tracks I've ever done. There I ones that have stood the test of time, for me, and those that were a good experiment, but don't do it for me any more.
    Last edited by edisonbaggins; 10-26-2015 at 02:44 AM.

  31. Thanks GOS thanked for this post
    Likes JanBakker liked this post
  32. #18
    Malnarnian edisonbaggins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    East Bay, CA
    Posts
    2,788
    Points
    13,473
    Level
    75
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 177
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocialTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: My DVD-A Project - Original material

    Looks like I'm unable to edit the OP, so here is the link to the Out the Window free download:

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/i67sr4tsud...nload.zip?dl=0

  33. #19
    1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,976
    Points
    19,503
    Level
    88
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 347
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: My DVD-A Project - Original material

    Quote Originally Posted by Plan9 View Post
    That's partly because of the original mastering, partly because of the mix (and a bit because of the recording), and that's why we ware planning on remastering the original mixes besides remixing.
    well, if during the mix process the fidelity had been screwed up by mixing together incompatible elements of the sound,
    then i'm afraid nothing can be improved by remastering of existent mix. the new remix from original multis would be more
    easier way to fix the problem in such case.

  34. Likes edisonbaggins liked this post
  35. #20
    1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,976
    Points
    19,503
    Level
    88
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 347
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: My DVD-A Project - Original material

    Quote Originally Posted by edisonbaggins View Post
    But, one thing I've learned, is there's no accounting for taste!
    of course. that's why i stated " it's personal antipathy to this timespan in rock music".
    albeit 80s was the time of my entrance into world of music, i never really liked most of the rock bands from this era.
    but i'm pretty sure there are many people who loves rock of 80's, new wave and punk.
    and thank you for "Out Of The Window". right now listening it and will tell you my impression from music.

  36. Likes edisonbaggins liked this post
  37. #21
    Malnarnian edisonbaggins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    East Bay, CA
    Posts
    2,788
    Points
    13,473
    Level
    75
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 177
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocialTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: My DVD-A Project - Original material

    Quote Originally Posted by 0tto View Post
    the new remix from original multis would be more
    easier way to fix the problem in such case.
    we'll do what we can!

  38. #22
    Mix & Mastering Engineer Plan9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Toulouse, France
    Posts
    435
    Points
    5,360
    Level
    47
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 190
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: My DVD-A Project - Original material

    Quote Originally Posted by 0tto View Post
    well, if during the mix process the fidelity had been screwed up by mixing together incompatible elements of the sound,
    then i'm afraid nothing can be improved by remastering of existent mix. the new remix from original multis would be more
    easier way to fix the problem in such case.
    Considering what I heard, and the amount of limiting that was applied at the original mastering, I'm confident we can improve upon it.
    Athome Audio Mastering
    Hi-Res, CD, Vinyl / Surround Mixing / Consulting
    www.athome-mastering.com

  39. Likes JanBakker liked this post
  40. #23
    Malnarnian edisonbaggins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    East Bay, CA
    Posts
    2,788
    Points
    13,473
    Level
    75
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 177
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocialTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: My DVD-A Project - Original material

    Here is a snippet from a new song in the very beginning of production:

    https://soundcloud.com/mike-vieira/m...ums-and-guitar

    I wouldn't get too hung up on any sonics - this is just a rough sketch to get bandmates familiar with the song. This is just drums and guitar.
    I'm really excited about this song. It's been forming in my heart and mind for many years. There are several demos out there, but the song just didn't totally work.
    I think now is the right time to complete it (in terms of influences, skills, mood, attitude, etc.)
    This is only the intro through chorus 1. There are some musical twists and turns not yet revealed!

    "This is the test to prove whether your mission on Earth is finished:
    If you're still alive, it isn't..."

  41. #24
    Malnarnian edisonbaggins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    East Bay, CA
    Posts
    2,788
    Points
    13,473
    Level
    75
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 177
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocialTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: My DVD-A Project - Original material

    Hey all, I want to post a bit of an update and also get some advice and opinions.

    Right now, the team is more or less in the testing phase. I am pouring over the archives, organizing, compiling the best tracks for songs and deciding what material needs to be re-recorded.
    Some of the acoustic stuff, like guitars and vocals, wasn't recorded very well. Everything that can be improved, within my control, will be.

    Principle mixing is slated to begin in January. I think it might be cool (koo) to publicly post a "5.1 single" FLAC download of, say, a proggy song and a poppy song or something along those lines.
    They would be "finished" with the understanding that maybe minor tweaks would occur once all the other songs are done.
    And along those lines, I would also want to be able to privately send a team of testers mixes as they progress (when Thomas agrees, of course), so, if you have interest in receiving test mixes, let me know.

    The project is tentatively called "Magnets & Miracles." I don't think that is a copyright problem, though it is an homage to a Pink Floyd lyric. Maybe Andy Jackson would know?
    I'd like to lock down that title when I can, so I can start the artwork process.

    I have some bonus video content in the works...

    What else? Is this the best forum/sub forum, etc. to post this information in? Is there a better way to reach QQers who might like to know this project is in the works, but who would never find this thread?
    Any ideas about spreading the word would be greatly appreciated. Eventually, socialization and outreach will need to extend beyond QQ, but I think it would be good to wait until there is at least a maxi-single.

    Also, I've only gotten one response on favorite songs from the candidate list. Please listen when you can and let me know what you like! The Soundcloud playlist is in one of the posts above.

    Without this forum, and the way this community supports unknowns who are passionate about surround, I don't think this project would be happening.


    Thank you all!

  42. #25
    1K Club - QQ Shooting Star Robert van Diggele's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Woerden, The Netherlands
    Posts
    2,590
    Points
    35,487
    Level
    100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassSocial25000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: My DVD-A Project - Original material

    He Mike, good to read about the progress so far and in the near future. Sounds promising.

    QQ is the best way to spread the word. Tim (timbre4) might want to write about it on the QQ facebook page.

    Perhaps the Stevehoffman forum too, as surround seems to get more accepted over there.

    When you do a physical release it would be interesting to see if Burning Shed wants to distribute. They have a large out reach I guess.

    Next week I have more free time and will give the playlist another listen. I am interested in helping and doing some test listens once you reached rhe mixing stage. Just lt me know at that time.

    Good luck with the project.

  43. Thanks edisonbaggins, Plan9 thanked for this post
    Likes edisonbaggins, Plan9, JanBakker liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •