FLEETWOOD MAC TUSK DELUXE EDITION WITH 5.1 SURROUND DVD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe once MOFI's license on the title expires, Audio Fidelity can move in and do a Quad SACD themselves, but they will only do it if they feel like they can make enough of a profit on it from both Quad and SACD fans to make a release worthwhile. (Not to mention that they also need the label to issue them a license in order for a release to happen, and we all know how finicky labels can be when it comes to licensing out their catalogues to others.)

But getting back a little more on-topic, I would not be surprised at all if we continue to see a slow drip of those unreleased 5.1 mixes from the Warner/Rhino vaults like we have seen with titles like "Tusk" and "Moondance".

I should think TUSK will be a big seller for Warners, as I was reluctant, at first, to 'invest' in yet another pricey boxset, but based on the high recommendations on this site, I couldn't resist. And AmazonUK's unbeatable price ($64US delivered) basically broke down the 8 disc set @ $8 per disc (although I could live w/o the Vinyl, truth be told).

And unlike Analogue Productions, Warners is NOT charging $100 for the box itself! :flame

I should think TUSK will be a big seller for Warners, as I was reluctant, at first, to 'invest' in yet another pricey boxset, but based on the high recommendations on this site, I couldn't resist. And AmazonUK's unbeatable price ($64US delivered) basically broke down the 8 disc set @ $8 per disc (although I could live w/o the Vinyl, truth be told).

And unlike Analogue Productions, Warners is NOT charging $100 for the box itself! :flame

Yeah, I could do without the vinyl as well, but I'm glad I have the CDs and hope I have time one day to give them all a proper listen. Just too busy with work at the moment, with lots of other things still yet to arrive in the next 10 days or so.
And yeah, screw Analogue Productions and their $100 box with no discs actually in it! ;)

I never want to be a stick in the mud or rain on anybody's parade (not that one man's opinion should do that), but I just don't get the fascination with Tusk.
I've auditioned it a couple of times in YouTube.0 and I just can't remember one damned thing from it. It's pleasant enough. I'd pick it up at a CD/BD price.

I never want to be a stick in the mud or rain on anybody's parade (not that one man's opinion should do that), but I just don't get the fascination with Tusk.
I've auditioned it a couple of times in YouTube.0 and I just can't remember one damned thing from it. It's pleasant enough. I'd pick it up at a CD/BD price.

LOL - that doesn't make you a stick in the mud. It's just a moment in time for many of us. Owning the original vinyl back in 1979 was a very special time for me. I was a sophomore in high school and music was becoming my everything. I had my first "good" stereo with turntable in my "kid-cave" and I vividly remember gazing at that crazy album cover and inner art. I just couldn't get enough of it. I was already a huge Mac fan due to Rumors and this one, while I do remember thinking it was a little "off" at the time, still got played over and over.

So - it's simply a piece of my memory banks that means so much to me and well, this album was right there. Anyway, probably that's why I love it so much. Secondly, I never owned the CD...so really, I hadn't heard it since the early 80's I suppose. So, I think getting this set for me is a real trip down memory lane and then it also sounds killer to boot. Win win for me.

Hey Ryan - speaking of hoping to listen to the other CD's in the Tusk box....check out this little comment I found in WIKI...should be interesting...assuming we get that alternate version in this set.

Original guitarist Peter Green also took part in the sessions for Tusk, but his playing on the Christine McVie track "Brown Eyes" is not credited on the album.[10] However, on the alternate version (at 30 seconds longer) that was released on 25 Years – The Chain, Green's distinctive guitar playing can be recognized, especially at the end of the song.

Hey Ryan - speaking of hoping to listen to the other CD's in the Tusk box....check out this little comment I found in WIKI...should be interesting...assuming we get that alternate version in this set.

Original guitarist Peter Green also took part in the sessions for Tusk, but his playing on the Christine McVie track "Brown Eyes" is not credited on the album.[10] However, on the alternate version (at 30 seconds longer) that was released on 25 Years – The Chain, Green's distinctive guitar playing can be recognized, especially at the end of the song.

Yep, it's on Disc 3 entitled "The Alternate Tusk". Track 13 says "Brown Eyes (with Lindsey & Peter Green, 9/20/78)" with a previously unissued asterisk next to it. I'm guessing Disc 3 will now be the first of the CDs that I check out. :)

Its not Rumours Pt.2 that's for sure.. :eek: (personally mega ultra super bitchin deluxe happy about this one finally making it out in surround... it felt like it might never happen.. and well now it has!)

as RT and rammie and others have said here and elswhere lets hope things like this and the Moondance super bitchin twitchin deluxe mean Warners will continue to get more 5.1 out even if its in twitchin hitchin fitchin and all that box sets.. I've almost resigned myself to cluttering up the place with yet more unwanted CDs and stuff just to get these surround mixes.. can we have FM's 1975 album in 5.1 next please..??

It's ok..you don't have to like something just because others do...no problem...we all like different stuff...I've been in your position many times on this forum when it comes to progressive music...I came from a rock background with some jazz and soul thrown in and a lot of the titles and even bands that people salivate over on here I had never even heard of before I came to this forum...so you are not in unchartered waters my friend...I still find myself saying "who is that" when some progressive album is announced...but I actually have grown to like a lot of it...of course the sound quality and surround effects certainly help a lot...

But like Gos...Tusk has a boatload of memories attached to it for me...some good...some bad...like someone once said "it was the best of times it was the worst of times"...and I have followed Fleetwood Mac from the early days thru all their changes..I was kind of awed by Peter Green's guitar talent...the guy had all the moves...it's too bad his personal demons dragged him down to mortal status...and of course Christine McVie..my personal songbird...that unique voice...just reaches my soul...and the energy that Lindsey Buckingham brought the group..it was the spark they needed at the right time...I could go on and on about the saga that is Fleetwood Mac...

It's ok..you don't have to like something just because others do...no problem...we all like different stuff...I've been in your position many times on this forum when it comes to progressive music...I came from a rock background with some jazz and soul thrown in and a lot of the titles and even bands that people salivate over on here I had never even heard of before I came to this forum...so you are not in unchartered waters my friend...I still find myself saying "who is that" when some progressive album is announced...but I actually have grown to like a lot of it...of course the sound quality and surround effects certainly help a lot...

But like Gos...Tusk has a boatload of memories attached to it for me...some good...some bad...like someone once said "it was the best of times it was the worst of times"...and I have followed Fleetwood Mac from the early days thru all their changes..I was kind of awed by Peter Green's guitar talent...the guy had all the moves...it's too bad his personal demons dragged him down to mortal status...and of course Christine McVie..my personal songbird...that unique voice...just reaches my soul...and the energy that Lindsey Buckingham brought the group..it was the spark they needed at the right time...I could go on and on about the saga that is Fleetwood Mac...

Heck yes....and I may have to listen to TUSK again this afternoon....after the Bears game...

Finally received my package (from the UK) on Saturday.

It is a beautiful package indeed...very well put together. Seeing the vinyl is a trip for me...even though I have no record player and have no intention of getting one...still brings back memories of how we used to get our music fixes. And it was fun to show them to my 6 year old and try to make him understand what it was ;) .

But then...of course...I immediately popped in the 5.1 DVD...been waiting nearly 14 years to hear this one!

My thoughts:

It took some getting used to at first, but I do LOVE it in the end! :music

The reason for the above, at first hesitation on my part is that some of the songs are definitely changed from their original versions.

“Sara” being the most prominent one I’d say. The original version was (as many know) MUCH longer than what made it onto the album (and the single version even shorter), and the 5.1 mix incorporates a little of the longer, “cleaning lady” version. “Sara” is my favorite song on the album (and one of my favorite songs of all time), so I am happy to report that it is very tastefully done for this 5.1 mix. Stevie’s vocals are amazingly clear, and the backing vocals and tracks are wonderfully placed…the original stereo version was so dream-like, but this version puts the listener into an even higher ethereal state :) . Some backing vocals seem to come in at different times than in the original version, but again, it works splendidly!

There are also some other instruments I noticed in the surround channels that I had not heard before (and I’ve listed to this song a LOT over the years)…not sure if they were added for this new mix, or just brought out for the first time given the separation capabilities of a surround mix. Either way, they do work well with the song.

Another track that seems fairly changed is “Sisters of the Moon.” I think they used at least some of an alternate vocal track, and the guitar solo is not quite as “loud” as in the remastered version from 2005.

The title track is nothing short of stunning. Such a unique and different song than anything done before or since…and now every nuance of this song (the looped drum track, crystal clear vocals (both the Mac voices and harmonies as well as the Marching Band snippets), the trumpets, etc., etc.), can be heard in all its “in your face” glory. Worth the price of admission alone, IMHO.

“Brown Eyes” (never knew that the guitar at the end of the song as it fades out was from Peter Green!), “Never Forget Tonight,” “Storms,” “Honey Hi,””Angel,”…every song shines through and re-confirms that I still rank this as FM’s best album overall. It may not have received the accolades of Rumours, particularly when it was first released, but over time and after a few listenings back then, I came to my conclusion and am happy to see that many other folks also now agree with me.

In closing, it is so wonderful to finally have this album’s long-delayed 5.1 mix out there for all to enjoy. Yes, having to buy this expensive set that includes 2 vinyl records I will likely never listen to is annoying, but for this album, I was willing to take the plunge. The other supplementary materials are also excellent I might add!

Now how about the “White” album next, WB? ;)

I loaded the Live CDs on my ipod and was listening to it today...interesting mix...sometimes it sounds GREAT , sometimes it misses the mark...but it's still great to have an "alternate" FMac Live ....
I DEFINITELY prefer the LP..."Monday Morning" as an opener..."Not that funny" ----the long version is a KILLER on the LP..but , yes, it's a GREAT packaging!!!!
Still have to listen to the DTS MCH mix a few times a few times before I vote....

I loaded the Live CDs on my ipod and was listening to it today...interesting mix...sometimes it sounds GREAT , sometimes it misses the mark...but it's still great to have an "alternate" FMac Live ....
I DEFINITELY prefer the LP..."Monday Morning" as an opener..."Not that funny" ----the long version is a KILLER on the LP..but , yes, it's a GREAT packaging!!!!
Still have to listen to the DTS MCH mix a few times a few times before I vote....

And in a few days...I'll be able to listen to the LP's as well. Hee!

Nice review done of the boxset here:

http://www.themortonreport.com/entertainment/music/album-review-fleetwood-mac-tusk-deluxe-edition/

I like the last sentence of the review:

"As for the DVD, it makes Tusk sound far better than it does in stereo. You’ll appreciate things you may never have heard clearly before, such as the Beatlesque instrumentation that underlies “What Makes You Think You’re the One” and the smooth-as-silk harmony vocals that enhance Stevie Nicks’s performance on “Storms.” If you’re a fan of the band, this DVD may actually offer sufficient reason to buy not only the “deluxe edition” of Tusk but a 5.1 audio system as well."

Nice review done of the boxset here:

http://www.themortonreport.com/entertainment/music/album-review-fleetwood-mac-tusk-deluxe-edition/

I like the last sentence of the review:

"As for the DVD, it makes Tusk sound far better than it does in stereo. You’ll appreciate things you may never have heard clearly before, such as the Beatlesque instrumentation that underlies “What Makes You Think You’re the One” and the smooth-as-silk harmony vocals that enhance Stevie Nicks’s performance on “Storms.” If you’re a fan of the band, this DVD may actually offer sufficient reason to buy not only the “deluxe edition” of Tusk but a 5.1 audio system as well."

That article offers an interesting perspective on Tusk and Fleetwood Mac as a band...good find!

RED ALERT RED ALERT RED ALERT

Snood might have a rarity on me FM LPs.......or just a grrrrrr

Seems Both side 1s of both LPs are Side 1 of LP number one..........labels are all correct as they were meant to be, but my entire side 3 of lp 2 is side 1 of LP 1..........

Yes all the other sides are correct and labeled correct.

Bought these from Amazon UK............so every body check your LP sides. Might be a major screw up or just a few.

:mad:@:

Back