FLEETWOOD MAC TUSK DELUXE EDITION WITH 5.1 SURROUND DVD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Random thought: If (IF) this is an honest to goodness DVD-Audio, it'll be my first "NEW" DVD-A for a while.. :eek:

Back to the regular programming..! Who am I kidding, there's nothing regular about this programme, it's Super Deluxe Tusk in 5.1 surround-o-matic.. wowzers..!! :p

Well...if they had Ken Caillat do the surround...I'd venture to say that it will be a real DVD-A...since they did one before...which will be interesting to see the responses to this.... as we keep hearing about how much people want DVD-A discs in these box sets...so now will they buy it or come up with another reason to not buy it...

I was just looking at my e-mails and looked at the one from SpinCDs, Wow. This release has come from no-where! Looks like it is a true DVD-A. Ordered :banana::cool:

Holy crap! The next two months are going to be expensive! I'm incredibly psyched for this. While I do feel for the folks who would only want the 5.1 and don't want to shell out the big bucks to get it (I'm in that boat for the Velvet Underground Loaded box,) this one is a no-brainer for me. Tusk is my favorite Mac album. Plus, I have tons of bootlegs from the '79/'80 tour and they were on fire in these shows so I'm more than happy to get 2 CDs worth of live material.

The one surprising omission here is the lack of any video. There was a tour documentary that was one of the earliest music home video releases. It was only ever available on VHS (and perhaps Laserdisc/Beta?) Would have been nice to have that in the set.

51XSFC9JMRL.jpg

Well...if they had Ken Caillat do the surround...I'd venture to say that it will be a real DVD-A...since they did one before...which will be interesting to see the responses to this.... as we keep hearing about how much people want DVD-A discs in these box sets...so now will they buy it or come up with another reason to not buy it...

afaik he was a fan of DVD-A.. and said something in an interview to the effect he wanted all of FM's back catalogue on the format iirc.. maybe the 1975 self-titled album will be next.. we know there's a 5.1 mix in the can.. hehe.. :eek:

afaik he was a fan of DVD-A.. and said something in an interview to the effect he wanted all of FM's back catalogue on the format iirc.. maybe the 1975 self-titled album will be next.. we know there's a 5.1 mix in the can.. hehe.. :eek:

you are killing me man...you had to mention that one....what a tease.....and didn't you know that disc based media is on it's last legs:slap:

you are killing me man...you had to mention that one....what a tease.....and didn't you know that disc based media is on it's last legs:slap:

haha.. couldn't resist.. :eek: while Warner are raiding the vault, lets be having all those unreleased DVD-A's.. positively drooling at the thought of more Mac in 5.1 ..oh i think disc based media has got a way to go yet.. (y)

WHAT A YEAR, CREW..!!
(haikubass has his work cut out, updates updates updates to the new release list..!! haha!!)

I would never dream of paying these money for, what essentially is one album with extras (wouldn't even happen with my favourite albums). A stand alone 5.1 or cd/dvd-a or this is no no.
You got it Cat! I'm not buying this or any other boxset. I did it once, for Aqualung, and I don't ever regret it but that's it - never again.

I will ABSOLUTELY buy this boxed set... after the trauma of purchasing Aqualung and Layla on Ebay after the fact, now is the time to buy! (Although, obviously I would buy a stand-alone surround disc if it was offered!)

As I am listening to Steven Wilson-Covers(really like this) while reading the posts here, don't get me wrong, this is really exciting news that this album is being rescued from the 5.1 vault.
It might just take a while till I get this one depending on the pricing.
Not to offend the people that like getting LP's but I am done with records and to jack up the price they include everything in a box like this, well I guess not quite everything don't see any mention of marbles and scarf's.
That there are extra cd's of outtakes and live albums, I'm good with that as for curiosity is fun to listen to demo's etc even if its only for a one or two time listen.
The bulk of listening time would be devoted to the 5.1 mix which I am sure is same for most people here.
This will be a buy for me at some time just might not be right away, will see how it plays out.

As I am listening to Steven Wilson-Covers(really like this) while reading the posts here, don't get me wrong, this is really exciting news that this album is being rescued from the 5.1 vault.
It might just take a while till I get this one depending on the pricing.
Not to offend the people that like getting LP's but I am done with records and to jack up the price they include everything in a box like this, well I guess not quite everything don't see any mention of marbles and scarf's.
That there are extra cd's of outtakes and live albums, I'm good with that as for curiosity is fun to listen to demo's etc even if its only for a one or two time listen.
The bulk of listening time would be devoted to the 5.1 mix which I am sure is same for most people here.
This will be a buy for me at some time just might not be right away, will see how it plays out.

I hear you 1000000000000% :p

Would I rather a standalone 5.1?
Absolutely.

Does it look like that's a possibility from Warners at this point?
Nope..

..they seem to want to stick to this super duper box set "strategy",
I guess they subsidise doing the 5.1 by slipping it in a box full of other stuff so the catch-all of demo's and vinyl and so on will cover the 5.1 rather than take the risk of releasing a separate DVD or BD or whatever and it possibly underperforming.

Maybe there's still people at Warner stung by the flop of standalone DVD-A? I doubt it, it's a long time ago in music biz terms where people come and go 24/7... ah I dunno.. I'm kinda bored of analysing why and how these labels do what they do, it makes little sense to me most of the time anyway, this is how they're serving up this dish, like it or lump it.. I'm in, it's been a long time since I got whiff of this plateful of 5.1 cooking up and I ain't gonna miss the feast for a few quid and some extraneous crap on this one (and the labels know that we want it so bad we'll do just that.. bah

Absolutely.

Nope..

I guess they subsidise doing the 5.1 by slipping it in a box full of other stuff so the catch-all of demo's and vinyl and so on will cover the 5.1 rather than take the risk of releasing a separate DVD or BD or whatever and it possibly underperforming.

Maybe there's still people at Warner stung by the flop of standalone DVD-A? I doubt it, it's a long time ago in music biz terms where people come and go 24/7... ah I dunno.. I'm kinda bored of analysing why and how these labels do what they do, it makes little sense to me most of the time anyway, this is how they're serving up this dish, like it or lump it.. I'm in, it's been a long time since I got whiff of this plateful of 5.1 cooking up and I ain't gonna miss the feast for a few quid and some extraneous crap on this one (and the labels know that we want it so bad we'll do just that.. bah

Companies use the shotgun approach...just throw everything together and hope something is appealing...and as much as I hate to admit it we(the surround community)are just a tiny spec in the music industry...hardly a blip on the radar screen...I'm glad they have included a surround in the set...most don't even bother doing that anymore

Companies use the shotgun approach...just throw everything together and hope something is appealing...and as much as I hate to admit it we(the surround community)are just a tiny spec in the music industry...hardly a blip on the radar screen...I'm glad they have included a surround in the set...most don't even bother doing that anymore

Good point and yes agreed really glad that the 5.1 is included.

Absolutely.

Nope..

In a perfect world, they would let us "return" what we don't want or need in the box set for credit on future Rhino releases.But only in a perfect world.

And I too, hope this release "shits out" the 75 self titled 5.1 mix by Caillet.

The one cool thing about these deluxe sets with the "bonus 5.1 mix" thrown in is that sometimes it can result in a new convert to surround sound. My first surround disc was an anniversary edition of Queen's "A Night At The Opera"... I bought it because of the "remastered" stereo disc... it said it came with a DVD, so I figured it was a bonus video or something. Well, it turned out to be a surround mix which I discovered and marveled at on my old home theater system, thus leading to my current surround sound addiction and financial ruin.

Back