FLEETWOOD MAC TUSK DELUXE EDITION WITH 5.1 SURROUND DVD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reactions from 2ch land HERE...special props to Adam(fredblue) for surviving over there..

SHTV is not only where I found this news, but it's also where I found the news about the upcoming reissue (with surround) of "Idlewild South".
It might have also been where I found news on the upcoming "Loaded" box set too, but I'm not as sure about that one. I might have seen it on IMWAN first.

So what I'm basically trying to say is that even SHTV has its usefulness every once in a while… ;)

Christmas is going to be expensive this year, and I haven't bought anything for anyone else yet! I do like that they include the vinyl. Oh well, I'm in for the Allman Brothers set, why not Fleetwood Mac?

SHTV is not only where I found this news, but it's also where I found the news about the upcoming reissue (with surround) of "Idlewild South".
It might have also been where I found news on the upcoming "Loaded" box set too, but I'm not as sure about that one. I might have seen it on IMWAN first.

So what I'm basically trying to say is that even SHTV has its usefulness every once in a while… ;)

It has uses...I will concede that point...and there are some very good posters over there...but it's also a case study in strange behavior and concepts...it does make me smile and break down laughing on occasion....yes it does have redeeming social value:)

OMG OMG OMG just woke up with still a bit of a bug...........maybe a lil too much RumCoke tooooooooooooo and toooooooooooooo thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis!!! :yikes

Snood said his prayers last night and they were answered!!!(y)

My Fave FM album by Far...........Lindsey at his most Qurirkiest and Best!!

Snood all in on the deluxe box fo sho :banana::banana::banana::banana:

Liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiindsey Thank You :snoodhug:

I take it that the 5.1 mix will arrive on DVD-A and not simply be DVD-V for this, makes some sense since the mix was high-res, and the artist and producers know what they want and what they are doing.

But I am surprised that it's not a BluRay included rather than DVD-A? Has Warner Music Group issued other DVD-A titles lately, in a box set, or as stand-alone product?

It's hard for me to keep up with what is a dead format, or is on life support, or is alive and well?

I know I should shut up and just enjoy what is coming out. But it does seem that DVD-V, DVD-A, SACD, and BluRay are all being utilized somewhere and on some releases right. None are totally dead really. How odd, that they all died, but all are alive still (other than DualDisc which really is over).

Well I am listening to my "2 Record Set on 1 Specially-Priced Disk" and I haven't listened to this in probably over 10 years. I am not sure if others here have same problem as me but there is just not enough time in the day to listen to the 1000's of disk's I own besides how you can now stream anything you like at your finger tips and listen to even way more stuff and this can make one into a musical ADHD junkie as there's always something else around the corner that could be the next cool album to listen to. As a result sometimes I forget what good albums I have not listened to or maybe its that I get over whelmed in what to choose to listen to. As I am now over half way through Tusk I see everyone's excitement as this is a really good listen, this lineup of FM sure is silky smooth in the songs that they produced. I was looking for a few things about Ken Caillat, these are from some time ago(2001) but there was a mention of Tusk and that Ken wanted to get on it to put in 5.1 as he had just finished Rumours Dvd Audio back then.
Guess we will soon find out what he was able to do with those multitracks, it is cool that Ken C. worked on the 5.1 as he would know this album very well since he originally worked on it back in 1979

http://www.fleetwoodmac.net/penguin/caillat.htm

http://www.fleetwoodmac.net/penguin/qa/kencaillat_qa1.htm

Classic Rock just wrote about the Masterpiece that Flopped, guess the writer didn't even know there was a big boxset coming out as they could have tied that into the story:

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/fleetwood-mac-tusk/

thus leading to my current surround sound addiction and financial ruin.

Great isn't it!

After this years staggering number of surround releases and the resulting impending financial ruin :ugham:
, all us addicts will need is a full size 5.1 speaker and surround system and a tarpaulin over the lot to stay dry, :51banana: the heat from the amp will keep the space warm! :bounce17

I take it that the 5.1 mix will arrive on DVD-A and not simply be DVD-V for this, makes some sense since the mix was high-res, and the artist and producers know what they want and what they are doing.

But I am surprised that it's not a BluRay included rather than DVD-A? Has Warner Music Group issued other DVD-A titles lately, in a box set, or as stand-alone product?

It's hard for me to keep up with what is a dead format, or is on life support, or is alive and well?

I know I should shut up and just enjoy what is coming out. But it does seem that DVD-V, DVD-A, SACD, and BluRay are all being utilized somewhere and on some releases right. None are totally dead really. How odd, that they all died, but all are alive still (other than DualDisc which really is over).

I agree with you, it would be a surprise if they are indeed issuing this as DVD-A rather than DVD-V or even Blu-ray (although the DVD-A is probably all authored and ready to go from all those years ago so they can just press click on a bunch of files in a folder and woosh off it goes to be replicated.. cheaper than a Blu-ray or an SACD and no more expensive to replicate than a DVD-V and it ticks all the Hi-Res Surround boxes..

yes, at this stage DualDisc appears to be the only truly dead format out of the bunch.. I really hope it doesn't make a comeback (I can't see it happening as CD and DVD-V themselves are incresingly on life support) DualDisc was the format that nearly killed off the others so I can never forgive its mere existence, though there are some titles exclusive to the format that are worthwhile in surround.. mercifully it self-destructed before SACD and DVD-A totally carped it but the damage was done and for that among many other reasons I hope its gone for good! :D

WOW, didn't see this one coming.
I know I should be happy that we can just get these 5.1's some how but its killing me how they package these things.
Why couldn't we just have a cd\dvda package or cd\bluray and not have to pay $100 for one album.

peter

Yes. It's cool to have all this extra stuff available for those who enjoy it, but all I'm ever really interested in is the music. To only offer the one huge package is just insulting. I hope there's a scaled-down version. Tusk is one of my all-time faves, a reference album; and like most people, I only have a finite amount of money.

-- Jim

Great isn't it!

After this years staggering number of surround releases and the resulting impending financial ruin :ugham:
, all us addicts will need is a full size 5.1 speaker and surround system and a tarpaulin over the lot to stay dry, :51banana: the heat from the amp will keep the space warm! :bounce17

Lets all go broke together..! :D

It will be worth going bankrupt if the end result is all the 5.1 and Quads of everything ever actually being released..! :ugham:

Lets all go broke together..! :D

It will be worth going bankrupt if the end result is all the 5.1 and Quads of everything ever actually being released..! :ugham:

Absolutely, remember folks for every £1/$1 (currency of your choice!) spent helps a lost and forlorn Quad/5.1 release get a warm loving home in a disc player. Please give generously :music

I've spent over 2 hours listening to Tusk today...what great memories come to mind...and since I haven't listened to it for awhile it seems "fresh"...because most of these songs weren't the hits you heard on the radio for years.. in the next few days I think I'll revisit Bare Trees...Then Play On...and Mystery To Me....and of course Bob Welch's French Kiss...such a shame that the Mac didn't make it big when he was part of the group...I've got a soft spot for Bob...his life was never the same after the Mac years..and the tragic way he ended his life...

If this turns out to actually be a DVD-A, it wouldn't surprise me if it's because all the authoring etc. was done 10 years ago in preparation for a standalone DVD-A release that never happened. The leaked DVD-A of Chicago X that did the rounds a few years back was fully authored, watermarked and had bonus content etc. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same case with this one. DVD replication is such that there's no extra cost associated with replicating a disc that has DVD-A content - they just see it as data and whether it's in the AUDIO_TS or VIDEO_TS folders is irrelevant to the place that does the duplication, which would work in the favour of it being a DVD-A disc if the authoring was already done.

If that's not the case, I'd put my money on this being an 'Audio DVD', ie a DVD-V with maybe PCM stereo and DTS or Dolby Digital for the 5.1 mix. It seems unlikely otherwise that it would be a newly authored DVD-A...when was the last time one of the major labels put out a DVD-A? Was it he Lynyrd Skynyrd Greatest Hits disc in 2012?

Wow, great scoop rt! Thanks.

I hate that we are again forced to buy a "Big Box" to get a 5.1 disc, but AT LEAST we have the opportunity to buy it. Yes, I know, everyone cannot afford it and you can say the record companies are screwing us again and treating us like sheep, but you would not wrong.

I guess we can be happy and mad at the same time with this one. I can't tell you how many of these I have purchased, pulled out the 5.1, and left the whole mess of other stuff in the box untouched.

There is a "surround" buzz going on in the industry, can't you just feel it. It might be desperation and they need every sale that they can get, rather than ushering in surround fans with a welcome mat or any promises for the future.

But I am glad that we are seeing surround mixes both old and new arriving in every format, and several bit resolutions. When the Beatles are coming with surround mixes, it's a sign we've turned a corner. They did not have to do surround on the 1 package.

The "Tusk" album is less burn-out for me, my least played Mac album over the years.

There is a "surround" buzz going on in the industry, can't you just feel it...

I dunno man - I think we're still a pretty small market chunk, percentage-wise, but I'm with you in spirit! And I'm certainly more enthusiastic about any surround revival than I am with this vinyl renaissance thing... :rolleyes:

-- Jim

I've spent over 2 hours listening to Tusk today...what great memories come to mind...and since I haven't listened to it for awhile it seems "fresh"...because most of these songs weren't the hits you heard on the radio for years..

Same for me, just doing my second listen on a good pair of head phones and some nice tasty sounds on this album, really well produced. You can always tell when its a Lindsey B. song as they are the more upbeat, sometimes more quirky, guess I always have liked his songs more as there is more of his guitar and his songs take more chances and I think he probably fussed over these songs more as some more neat sounds in them but what am I saying the songs by Christine and Stevie are also very good.

It was fun revisiting this album today.

Never would have thought we would finally hear this one. Very happy with the news, even if the 5.1 is buried in a big boxset.

Back