FLEETWOOD MAC TUSK DELUXE EDITION WITH 5.1 SURROUND DVD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love the fact that we are getting a dvd audio 5.1 but the 5 extra cds that come with the set look very interesting as well perfect for the ipod. Selling the LPs should be easy if thats the route you want to go.

Yes, lots of surround being released this year. Very exciting.

I tend not to like box sets where material is duplicated on vinyl and CD as it rams the price right up. I mean, I do like vinyl in a box, but when the hook is the exclusive surround disc two large slabs of premium plastic up the price far too much. Ken Caillat's mix of Rumours is amazing. It brought to life an album I'm not a massive fan of, and those added elements whilst still retaining the feel of the original album was a real bonus. So cohesive yet spacious, so good with the room space (and then the behind the scenes bits with outtakes/alt mixes in surround too - fantastic). If Benny & Björn were to get their catalogue mixed for 5.1 Caillat would seem to be a great contender based on that one title.

Those unaware may be interested to know that Camper Van Beethoven (great band name) covered the entire double album.

If this turns out to actually be a DVD-A, it wouldn't surprise me if it's because all the authoring etc. was done 10 years ago in preparation for a standalone DVD-A release that never happened. The leaked DVD-A of Chicago X that did the rounds a few years back was fully authored, watermarked and had bonus content etc. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same case with this one. DVD replication is such that there's no extra cost associated with replicating a disc that has DVD-A content - they just see it as data and whether it's in the AUDIO_TS or VIDEO_TS folders is irrelevant to the place that does the duplication, which would work in the favour of it being a DVD-A disc if the authoring was already done.

If that's not the case, I'd put my money on this being an 'Audio DVD', ie a DVD-V with maybe PCM stereo and DTS or Dolby Digital for the 5.1 mix. It seems unlikely otherwise that it would be a newly authored DVD-A...when was the last time one of the major labels put out a DVD-A? Was it he Lynyrd Skynyrd Greatest Hits disc in 2012?

Rumblings over at the SHF that it's a 24/96 DTS 5.1 DVD-V.. ah well, whatever.. at this point I just wanna hear the flipping thing in surround..
only a matter of weeks till it comes out now anyway.. wow..

I dunno man - I think we're still a pretty small market chunk, percentage-wise, but I'm with you in spirit! And I'm certainly more enthusiastic about any surround revival than I am with this vinyl renaissance thing... :rolleyes:

-- Jim

True, in the scheme of things we are a tiny speck of the record buying market.. but there's nearly nine thousand people here.. and I'm mindful of all the people into Quad and surround who either aren't big on computers or don't know of QQ's existence - yet ... we should be always spreading the word one way or another.. :)

Screen Shot 2015-10-25 at 16.47.49.png

I'm very happy for all of you here who have been waiting/dreaming to hear this in Multichannel. I for one have never been a fan of the group's albums, only just a handful of songs really (and I'll make the blasphemous confession of liking the Say You Will album a lot). I prefer early 70's music to late 70's to tell the truth save for a few exceptions. Hopefully Amazon will have a crazy pre-order deal so you can enjoy this one for less. :)

I like a lot of the Peter Green era and some Christine Perfect/Chicken Shack stuff. I can honestly take or leave the poppy Fleetwood Mac stuff.
I like it. It's groovy, fun and cool. I just won't be refinancing my mortgage over any of it.

Rumblings over at the SHF that it's a 24/96 DTS 5.1 DVD-V.. ah well, whatever.. at this point I just wanna hear the flipping thing in surround..

That won't stop me....can you image these different vocals with a wider soundstage..I can

[video=youtube;3ZQoIx2_6R8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZQoIx2_6R8[/video]

True, in the scheme of things we are a tiny speck of the record buying market.. but there's nearly nine thousand people here.. and I'm mindful of all the people into Quad and surround who either aren't big on computers or don't know of QQ's existence - yet ... we should be always spreading the word one way or another.. :)

View attachment 22527

We also seem to usually have 3x-4x guests on the site as members (I lurked for years!), still a tiny number compared to the billions on the planet, but we must have some influence i.e. AF Quad releases :51banana:

I guess things are getting better, we got 32 posts in before there was a mention of marbles and scarves. I'm all in for the box.

I agree with you, it would be a surprise if they are indeed issuing this as DVD-A rather than DVD-V or even Blu-ray (although the DVD-A is probably all authored and ready to go from all those years ago so they can just press click on a bunch of files in a folder and woosh off it goes to be replicated.. cheaper than a Blu-ray or an SACD and no more expensive to replicate than a DVD-V and it ticks all the Hi-Res Surround boxes..

yes, at this stage DualDisc appears to be the only truly dead format out of the bunch.. I really hope it doesn't make a comeback (I can't see it happening as CD and DVD-V themselves are incresingly on life support) DualDisc was the format that nearly killed off the others so I can never forgive its mere existence, though there are some titles exclusive to the format that are worthwhile in surround.. mercifully it self-destructed before SACD and DVD-A totally carped it but the damage was done and for that among many other reasons I hope its gone for good! :D

We also have to remember that if we don't support them on this effort, it may be the last. If they are to release more FM and other artists in 5.1, we have to show them there's a true market for them. This may be one of the reasons why Rhino discontinued the Qaudio discs after only two releases. I'm going to order this; if we don't show support, there may not be anything to support anymore.

I would definitely be passing on it then.

You'd pass over 24/96 DTS? I recently went to a Linn event listening to stuff on what would have amounted to something like a $60k system. The material included hi-res, vinyl, CD quality, and a DVD-V. The DVD-V more than held its own and that would have been 24/96 DTS at best.

We also have to remember that if we don't support them on this effort, it may be the last. If they are to release more FM and other artists in 5.1, we have to show them there's a true market for them. This may be one of the reasons why Rhino discontinued the Qaudio discs after only two releases. I'm going to order this; if we don't show support, there may not be anything to support anymore.

I agree about supporting surround releases generally.. I would just add that this FM box set is hardly the leap of faith the Quadio programme represented, seeing as they were surround-only releases with no stereo etc., I doubt the Chicago Quadio was seen as a flop, it sold out rapidly and as we know now commands a tidy sum.. I would hazard a guess Quadio was stopped for reasons other than the bottom line of sales but let's not get bogged down in all that here, if this box set underperforms in terms of sales it would be plain wrong for surround to be made the scapegoat this time around, there's vinyl and CDs in the box too, this is a lower risk for Warner than Quadio was.. still we should not waste oxygen arguing the toss, this is a most welcome release - let's face it, it could very well have not included the 5.1 at all... and then we'd all really be complaining..!! :D

I would definitely be passing on it then.

Hey don't shoot the msn messenger! ;) (even though this road is so well trod there's no tarmac left and we're veering majorly OT again..) I bet in a level-matched properly conducted A/B most of us lot here couldn't tell the difference between 5.1 encoded in Advanced Res MLP on DVD-A and the same 5.1 programme in DTS 96/24.. just sayin'.. I certainly won't let such bias get in the way of hearing this one in surround :)

You'd pass over 24/96 DTS? I recently went to a Linn event listening to stuff on what would have amounted to something like a $60k system. The material included hi-res, vinyl, CD quality, and a DVD-V. The DVD-V more than held its own and that would have been 24/96 DTS at best.

You tell him AquaMike..! :upthumb
If the DVD can't hold its own, you can hold it on its behalf.. :eek:
cuppers just likes something to moan about anyway.. he'll probably cave in and buy it when everyone starts raving about it on here in December and he feels like he's missing out! It's certainly how I feel about cancelling the Hackett box.. but we stand and fall by such mind blowing decisions, causing head on collisions.. :banana:

The Tusk box set is listed on that one site for GBP 55 (USD 84.) The Aqualung box was around $100 and the Quadrophenia set with only half the album in surround was about $115. Although this album isn't of the grandeur of either of those two releases or Rumors, it will set us back less than the aforementioned sets...even less if we sell the vinyl in the after market to the needle-draggers. So I think it will be relatively good value compared to what we have seen before.

Also, I did not care for this album when it was first released coming off the heels of Rumors. Buckingham's jug band style cuts were just too different than what I expected at the time. But my tastes have since widened and matured, and Tusk comes across a lot better to me than it did back then.

Their best song is World Turning. But, overall, Tusk is the best album.

Back