FLEETWOOD MAC TUSK DELUXE EDITION WITH 5.1 SURROUND DVD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a "surround" buzz going on in the industry, can't you just feel it. It might be desperation and they need every sale that they can get, rather than ushering in surround fans with a welcome mat or any promises for the future.

But I am glad that we are seeing surround mixes both old and new arriving in every format, and several bit resolutions. When the Beatles are coming with surround mixes, it's a sign we've turned a corner. They did not have to do surround on the 1 package.

The "Tusk" album is less burn-out for me, my least played Mac album over the years.

Although we are little more than an afterthought in the music business...maybe there is something special going on here...something led you to the Wax event and a chance meeting with Marshall....call it "the force"...maybe destiny...but perhaps the beginning of something special for us music lovers is underway...could this maverick business man buck the industry trend and kick start a surround sound revolution...we shall see...

Although we are little more than an afterthought in the music business...maybe there is something special going on here...something led you to the Wax event and a chance meeting with Marshall....call it "the force"...maybe destiny...but perhaps the beginning of something special for us music lovers is underway...could this maverick business man buck the industry trend and kick start a surround sound revolution...we shall see...

Oh! ..what happened with quicksrt and Marshall Blonstein at Wax?

You tell him AquaMike..! :upthumb
If the DVD can't hold its own, you can hold it on its behalf.. :eek:
cuppers just likes something to moan about anyway.. he'll probably cave in and buy it when everyone starts raving about it on here in December and he feels like he's missing out! It's certainly how I feel about cancelling the Hackett box.. but we stand and fall by such mind blowing decisions, causing head on collisions.. :banana:
hehe, like all those word play Adam, keep them coming :)

can you image these different vocals with a wider soundstage..I can

[video=youtube;3ZQoIx2_6R8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZQoIx2_6R8[/video]

I know, it has some amazing potential. Similar stuff in songs like "Over and Over" and "Brown Eyes."

The one song that has the potential to be a complete brain-melter would be the title song. There is so much going on in that tune between the marching band and all of Lindsey's crazy groaning and grunting that stuff could conceivably be flying out from all over the place. (My favorite bit is right after the drum break when you hear someone say "real savage-like!")

I like a lot of the Peter Green era and some Christine Perfect/Chicken Shack stuff. I can honestly take or leave the poppy Fleetwood Mac stuff.
I like it. It's groovy, fun and cool. I just won't be refinancing my mortgage over any of it.

Peter Green...who founded Fleetwood Mac... could have been the greatest guitar player to ever emerge from the UK... IMO.....but LSD and Schizophrenia took it's toll on him...I'm listening to Then Play On right now...little did Mick Fleetwood know that this was Peter's goodbye...that some of the songs revealed his struggles with his illness and drug useage...after some success he hit rock bottom and was destitute and moved in with his family during the 70's and 80's....if anyone has never heard the album Then Play On you should pick up the CD...it's the blues oriented band that sounds completely different than the more commercially successful pop sound of the Nicks Buckingham era Fleetwood Mac..

I'll just add my voice to the choir here...been wanting this is surround from the very beginning and short-lived advent of the DVD-Audio days. I remember "Tusk" DVD-A being announced with actual release dates back in the early 2000s, and each time the date would come and go with no actual release :( . And each time I cannot tell y'all how disappointed I was...

I heard over the years that the 5.1 mix was done (for this one and for the FM "White" album), but the lack of previous DVD-A sales of other released titles killed it at the time, and as we all know WB gave up on the format. I believe one song from the "White" album made it to one of the Acura demo DVD-A discs ("Monday Morning"), but that was it for all of these years.

Knowing that these mixes have just been sitting on a shelf somewhere has been quite the source of consternation for myself for so long...Tusk is still my favorite FM album, with "Sara" probably my favorite song from the album, and indeed an all-time favorite song of mine period. I can only imagine how AMAZING it will sound in surround! I did end up buying the "Special edition" release from the mid-2000s I think it was...glad I did as the alternate versions of many of the songs are worthwhile, but it was the extended version of "Sara" that was the major highlight for me.

But with all of that said, I am again VERY dismayed to hear that this will (at least for now) be only available in an expensive box set with many things I don't want (such as the vinyl discs). With apologies to the vinyl folks, I just have no interest in vinyl anymore and really resent that I would need to buy such an expensive set with vinyl to get the DVD-A disc.

Please...someone out there with some industry pull...somehow, someway convince the powers-that-be to release a stand-alone DVD-A disc for this release. I'd buy the single disc release without hesitation, but at this point, I really doubt I will buy the full box set despite how much I have wanted this album in surround for so many, many years. I just cannot justify $100+ for one disc that I really want and a bunch of stuff I don't, especially as I have already double-dipped on this disc before.

Why do these record companies continue to torture us this way? :( I know...I know...it's all about the almighty $$$...

Jon

I completely understand the frustration on the part of those of you who don't want to buy a big expensive box set (particularly one that includes vinyl) just to get the 5.1 DVD, but please keep this in mind:
The era of releasing stand-alone DVD-Audio discs ended 10 YEARS AGO!!!
And despite all of the whining and moaning, releases of that kind are not about to make a comeback.
Maybe one day, Warner Music (and Sony too for that matter) will start releasing Blu-Ray Audio discs as singular items just as Universal have done, but until then, this is how it is, and it's much better than letting this 5.1 mix continue to sit on a shelf gathering dust for another 10+ years.

I mean, I have to assume that Amazon will have this listed pretty soon...right? I'd be curious what their price will be. All this talk is making me realize that I may not be able to say no to this....maybe I'll just have someone in my family get it for me for christmas.... :)

hehe - maybe I just need to get out my Tusk CD and give it a whirl...I...like many...haven't listened to it in a long time. Not sure why....

I mean, I have to assume that Amazon will have this listed pretty soon...right? I'd be curious what their price will be. All this talk is making me realize that I may not be able to say no to this....maybe I'll just have someone in my family get it for me for christmas.... :)

I was thinking that, too...get someone (probably my wife) to get it for me for the holidays :) .

And maybe sell off the vinyl to someone who would actually use it...although honestly, I don't know anyone personally who is into vinyl anymore. Are there sites to offer up something like this to a vinyl collector who would want it? Or is it bad karma to split up these sets ;) ?

I'd be happy with a Blu-Ray release...the recent Tears for Fears "Songs from the Big Chair" BR release was certainly a must-have for me...and I think I read that the "Seeds of Love" is up for a BR release also soon which I will certainly pick up.

Jon

I completely understand the frustration on the part of those of you who don't want to buy a big expensive box set (particularly one that includes vinyl) just to get the 5.1 DVD, but please keep this in mind:
The era of releasing stand-alone DVD-Audio discs ended 10 YEARS AGO!!!
And despite all of the whining and moaning, releases of that kind are not about to make a comeback.
Maybe one day, Warner Music (and Sony too for that matter) will start releasing Blu-Ray Audio discs as singular items just as Universal have done, but until then, this is how it is, and it's much better than letting this 5.1 mix continue to sit on a shelf gathering dust for another 10+ years.

+1...I know people like DVD-A's for several reasons...but those days are pretty much over with...like RT says...it's time embrace these other technologies and put aside your prejudice...SACD's have provided us with a lot of good music and they still suffer from extreme bias on here by some who just can't let it go...as consumers we need to support these surround titles even if the configurations aren't exactly what we want...I know some of the people could afford these titles if they really made an effort...there are enough free credit plans on amazon(amazon store card)and Pay Pal on Ebay to get what you want and pay small amounts each month....I remember in 2013 when I had bought a Panasonic Plasma TV in March and then found out that they weren't going to make them anymore and bought another Panny Plasma in December...I wasn't planning on that expense and I grabbed the amazon store card which gave me 2 years interest free to pay...I love using other peoples money interest free:)...the amazon store card only requires a $150 purchase to get 6 months free financing....and Pay Pal Credit is even less...$99 on Ebay will get you 6 months...I have purchased some of those expensive out of print discs that way...why not...you snooze you lose...I'm not suggesting that if you really can't afford it to overextend yourself...but I know some on here that could easily do it...ask fredblue what usually happens when you let that surround disc get away from you early...it's costs a lot later on...

I was thinking that, too...get someone (probably my wife) to get it for me for the holidays :) .

And maybe sell off the vinyl to someone who would actually use it...although honestly, I don't know anyone personally who is into vinyl anymore. Are there sites to offer up something like this to a vinyl collector who would want it? Or is it bad karma to split up these sets ;) ?

I'd be happy with a Blu-Ray release...the recent Tears for Fears "Songs from the Big Chair" BR release was certainly a must-have for me...and I think I read that the "Seeds of Love" is up for a BR release also soon which I will certainly pick up.

Jon

If you live in San Fran I would venture to say that there are probably record stores that carry vinyl that might be interested...that way you avoid shipping problems(damage and cost)...maybe some members on here in the San Fran area are interested in vinyl...

Believe it or not my favorite song of Tusk is Walk a Thin Line. I just hope the 5.1-mix producer did justice to the waves of sound there.

+1...I know people like DVD-A's for several reasons...but those days are pretty much over with...like RT says...it's time embrace these other technologies and put aside your prejudice...SACD's have provided us with a lot of good music and they still suffer from extreme bias on here by some who just can't let it go...as consumers we need to support these surround titles even if the configurations aren't exactly what we want...I know some of the people could afford these titles if they really made an effort...there are enough free credit plans on amazon(amazon store card)and Pay Pal on Ebay to get what you want and pay small amounts each month....I remember in 2013 when I had bought a Panasonic Plasma TV in March and then found out that they weren't going to make them anymore and bought another Panny Plasma in December...I wasn't planning on that expense and I grabbed the amazon store card which gave me 2 years interest free to pay...I love using other peoples money interest free:)...the amazon store card only requires a $150 purchase to get 6 months free financing....and Pay Pal Credit is even less...$99 on Ebay will get you 6 months...I have purchased some of those expensive out of print discs that way...why not...you snooze you lose...I'm not suggesting that if you really can't afford it to overextend yourself...but I know some on here that could easily do it...ask fredblue what usually happens when you let that surround disc get away from you early...it's costs a lot later on...

I guess I should clarify my original post as I wouldn't say I have a prejudice towards DVD-Audio...I'm happy to have the music released in a 5.1 mix on whatever the format may be.

And I was fortunate in that I purchased all of my DVD-Audios and SACDs back when they first came out and were "normal"/retail priced (before they went OOP and began to command higher prices).

I just have a really hard time justifying the high cost for these "Super Deluxe" sets when all I want is one disc that contains said 5.1 mix, regardless of the actual disc type, without a bunch of stuff I either don't want, don't need, and/or will never use (i.e. the vinyl).

Just my 2 cents on the matter :) .

Jon

Rumblings over at the SHF that it's a 24/96 DTS 5.1 DVD-V.. ah well, whatever.. at this point I just wanna hear the flipping thing in surround..
only a matter of weeks till it comes out now anyway.. wow..

As far as I saw, those rumblings were one person saying he didn't "believe" it would be DVD-A. Hardly authoritative. Maybe I missed something official, but the press release says DVD-A so I would believe that over what someone "believes".

Peter Green...who founded Fleetwood Mac... could have been the greatest guitar player to ever emerge from the UK... IMO.....but LSD and Schizophrenia took it's toll on him...I'm listening to Then Play On right now...little did Mick Fleetwood know that this was Peter's goodbye...that some of the songs revealed his struggles with his illness and drug useage...after some success he hit rock bottom and was destitute and moved in with his family during the 70's and 80's....if anyone has never heard the album Then Play On you should pick up the CD...it's the blues oriented band that sounds completely different than the more commercially successful pop sound of the Nicks Buckingham era Fleetwood Mac..

Peter Green recovered for a while, and put out several wonderful lps in late 79 thru 82 or 3. If you have never heard in the skies 1979 or little dreamer 1980 or whatcha gonna do 1981, you are missing some of the best and most innovative guitar playing. Peter had it together and put out songs, great songs. And run these these thru the fun machines, they are not overdubbed a lot and will decode with pleasure. Best advice for something old but maybe something new i could ever give. These are wonderful Lps, and This guy was extraordinary. The Peter Green Splinter group later on in late 90s was very good also if ya get hooked.

Back