Foobar vs JRiver?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GOOD GOD..!!!

I've got foobar working all of a sudden.. :yikes

So, how do I do the thing where you can see the 6 channels doing the boogaloo..?

A bit late but I went to bed after my last comment, so here is your answer. It's just a skin but I don't know if it works on a mac! I mentioned this before but when you install the skin you get a pdf file popping up during installation that is the manual, you may want to save it because it's a pita to get it when you close it (of course I did that :smack:).

A bit late but I went to bed after my last comment, so here is your answer. It's just a skin but I don't know if it works on a mac! I mentioned this before but when you install the skin you get a pdf file popping up during installation that is the manual, you may want to save it because it's a pita to get it when you close it (of course I did that :smack:).

Thanks! (y)

Regrettably I had to abandon it as 1.) I could not get it to output 5.1, no matter what settings I chose and 2.) It kept crashing!

Ah well, back to "Plain Jane" VLC.. :eek:

I've written a simple Windows program that auto Scans a folder and all its sub folders/directories for FLAC (or MP3, Alac etc) files:

1. Optionally, Re-tags/re-embeds cover art with the current 'folder.jpg' into from each directory into each music file
2. Optionally, creates a CSV file listing each album: showing tagged artist, album title and bitrate(s) and sample rate(s)*
3. optionally, creates CSV file listing every folder/directory's music files: showing file name, tagged artist, song title and bitrate/sample rate of each file

CSV files can be imported into Microsoft Excel.

I started by just wanting something to update my embedded album art picture. But always wanted something to list all my albums. The last list might find some anomalies in file naming/tagging and/sample rates etc.

If anyone wants to give it a go let me know. I will test some more tomorrow, so I can email the files to anyone interested in next couple of days.

Any ideas for additional functionalist welcome.

* some user compilation 'albums' may contain tracks of differing bit/sample rates
hi Homer, this sounds like a nice program to keep a list of all flac files. How this this go, is the program ready to use? Thanks.

I've written a simple Windows program that auto Scans a folder and all its sub folders/directories for FLAC (or MP3, Alac etc) files:

1. Optionally, Re-tags/re-embeds cover art with the current 'folder.jpg' into from each directory into each music file
2. Optionally, creates a CSV file listing each album: showing tagged artist, album title and bitrate(s) and sample rate(s)*
3. optionally, creates CSV file listing every folder/directory's music files: showing file name, tagged artist, song title and bitrate/sample rate of each file

CSV files can be imported into Microsoft Excel.

I started by just wanting something to update my embedded album art picture. But always wanted something to list all my albums. The last list might find some anomalies in file naming/tagging and/sample rates etc.

If anyone wants to give it a go let me know. I will test some more tomorrow, so I can email the files to anyone interested in next couple of days.

Any ideas for additional functionalist welcome.

* some user compilation 'albums' may contain tracks of differing bit/sample rates

Thanks Robert for pointing me to this post, missed it :upthumb.

Don't know exactly what to expect but I'm interested, thanks :D.

Didn't want to start a new thread....

Can anyone direct me (with link) to the Dynamic Range plugin for foobar? I sure can't find it. Used to have it...but have somehow lost it.

Hmm'm just read all 5 pages of this thread which are mostly about artwork that Gene started with the #1 question.
I am a solid JRiver user and have none of these problems.
First, all my albums will either come from a rip or a digital download that will go to my working PC (laptop), certain downloaders HDTRacks and Acoustic Sounds have settings that download directly to my NAS (Network Attached Storage) all others go from my working PC to the NAS, for instance downloads>copy to NAS. Now we are all set with music, tagging and artwork.
Next, JRiver is my player (some of you use Foobar) in my NUC ( NUC, which stands for Next Unit of Computing, is a small form factor computer kit manufactured by Intel.)
The JRiver player imports from the NAS (both Ethernet connected on the Network) and automatically goes into the library. The library consists of all the normal stuff, Artists, Genre, etc. The library I use 99% of the time is RECENTS.
The album artwork from JRiver is internet based and always pulls up an album cover correctly, however sometimes I want to have exact album artwork.
When in JRiver, right click, Cover Art, left click cover art on pop up window, right click next pop up, click add from file. Done. Perfect.
So lets say I have Metallica Black Album CD JRiver just auto loads the basic cover, good, but now I also want the DVD-A cover and (HDTracks has rounded corner artwork) I have to manually change that. Usually I go to Amazon find my correct DVD-A, MOFI, Dual Disc, DTS, etc, artwork and same for HDTracks, right click, save image and put to my desktop (this has to be on the Chrome browser on the NUC) as the JRiver is on the NUC.
When adding from file I get perfect artwork 100% of time. Discogs is also good to find album specific artwork also.
Along these lines, I will usually re-tag the Album title, to anything I want, DSD, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0, 5.1. There are also different resolutions to consider, 24/48, 24/96, etc and JRiver has the DSP studio that will show you everything you need to know, from DR, bitrate, on and on.
Finding the correct album artwork and tagging it to JRiver takes about 1 minute.

JRiver has a host of abilities that go on forever, from room correction, DSP,(Digital signal processing (DSP) is the use of digital processing, such as by computers or more specialized digital signal processors, to perform a wide variety of signal processing operations. ... DSP is applicable to both streaming data and static (stored) data). It also analyzes audio which is a big thing as it corrects for proper playback, volume setting, etc.
The most recent version MC26, now has auto displayed lyrics, which of course is really fun especially when you have the JRiver player showing on you TV big screen.

I am sure I am not going to convert anyone, but hopefully outlining this exactly as I know how, in layman's terms, it will help. I still consider myself a beginner, and I love reading audio threads but so many times it goes over my head because of my lack of knowledge, abbreviations etc, so I always try to consider the beginner lurking on the sidelines.

Hmm'm just read all 5 pages of this thread which are mostly about artwork that Gene started with the #1 question.
I am a solid JRiver user and have none of these problems.
First, all my albums will either come from a rip or a digital download that will go to my working PC (laptop), certain downloaders HDTRacks and Acoustic Sounds have settings that download directly to my NAS (Network Attached Storage) all others go from my working PC to the NAS, for instance downloads>copy to NAS. Now we are all set with music, tagging and artwork.
Next, JRiver is my player (some of you use Foobar) in my NUC ( NUC, which stands for Next Unit of Computing, is a small form factor computer kit manufactured by Intel.)
The JRiver player imports from the NAS (both Ethernet connected on the Network) and automatically goes into the library. The library consists of all the normal stuff, Artists, Genre, etc. The library I use 99% of the time is RECENTS.
The album artwork from JRiver is internet based and always pulls up an album cover correctly, however sometimes I want to have exact album artwork.
When in JRiver, right click, Cover Art, left click cover art on pop up window, right click next pop up, click add from file. Done. Perfect.
So lets say I have Metallica Black Album CD JRiver just auto loads the basic cover, good, but now I also want the DVD-A cover and (HDTracks has rounded corner artwork) I have to manually change that. Usually I go to Amazon find my correct DVD-A, MOFI, Dual Disc, DTS, etc, artwork and same for HDTracks, right click, save image and put to my desktop (this has to be on the Chrome browser on the NUC) as the JRiver is on the NUC.
When adding from file I get perfect artwork 100% of time. Discogs is also good to find album specific artwork also.
Along these lines, I will usually re-tag the Album title, to anything I want, DSD, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0, 5.1. There are also different resolutions to consider, 24/48, 24/96, etc and JRiver has the DSP studio that will show you everything you need to know, from DR, bitrate, on and on.
Finding the correct album artwork and tagging it to JRiver takes about 1 minute.

JRiver has a host of abilities that go on forever, from room correction, DSP,(Digital signal processing (DSP) is the use of digital processing, such as by computers or more specialized digital signal processors, to perform a wide variety of signal processing operations. ... DSP is applicable to both streaming data and static (stored) data). It also analyzes audio which is a big thing as it corrects for proper playback, volume setting, etc.
The most recent version MC26, now has auto displayed lyrics, which of course is really fun especially when you have the JRiver player showing on you TV big screen.

I am sure I am not going to convert anyone, but hopefully outlining this exactly as I know how, in layman's terms, it will help. I still consider myself a beginner, and I love reading audio threads but so many times it goes over my head because of my lack of knowledge, abbreviations etc, so I always try to consider the beginner lurking on the sidelines.
I have been using Foobar for a while and it does most of the things you mention except for the downloading of Artwork, at which it sucks, or lets say I haven't figured out the right recipe :). I have not been able to get it to automatically download artwork. I have been using Album art downloader for that and it does a good job most of the time, though it doesn't work for BDs & DVDAs or SACDs. Once I am done copying the discs (BD, CD or whatever) I am generally too lazy to deal with the artwork. Every once in a while I will the wonderful screenshots of people here and get into a spurt of scanning covers and booklets. Foobar has DSP and Graphic equalizers as such, but I think it is only in stereo. If Jriver can automate the process of downloading covers for SACDs , I might be willing to try it for that alone.

I have been using Foobar for a while and it does most of the things you mention except for the downloading of Artwork, at which it sucks, or lets say I haven't figured out the right recipe :). I have not been able to get it to automatically download artwork. I have been using Album art downloader for that and it does a good job most of the time, though it doesn't work for BDs & DVDAs or SACDs. Once I am done copying the discs (BD, CD or whatever) I am generally too lazy to deal with the artwork. Every once in a while I will the wonderful screenshots of people here and get into a spurt of scanning covers and booklets. Foobar has DSP and Graphic equalizers as such, but I think it is only in stereo. If Jriver can automate the process of downloading covers for SACDs , I might be willing to try it for that alone.
Yes, you should try. Does Foobar do lyrics also? The DSP studio for JRiver is for all formats.

When I used my computer as part of playback of media files foobar was my to go music player. I never really tried jriver so I can’t compare. Nowadays as far as media goes, computer is solely for editing and cataloging media files and I now do all playback of virtually all my media with Kodi on a media player - never looked back, so easy and stable.

Yes, you should try. Does Foobar do lyrics also? The DSP studio for JRiver is for all formats.
Foobar does lyrics very well. With the DarkOne skin it is really pretty overall. DSP functions work for all formats as well. One of these days I am going to try Dirac software. I just haven't gotten around to it.

As far as Kodi, I use it once in a while when my other players (VLC, MPC-HC etc.) won't play a Bluray/DVD folder, otherwise I not that fond of it. In Foobar, I like being able to view the directory structure and search /filter content.

Foobar does lyrics very well. With the DarkOne skin it is really pretty overall. DSP functions work for all formats as well. One of these days I am going to try Dirac software. I just haven't gotten around to it.

As far as Kodi, I use it once in a while when my other players (VLC, MPC-HC etc.) won't play a Bluray/DVD folder, otherwise I not that fond of it. In Foobar, I like being able to view the directory structure and search /filter content.
I am studying a lot these days about room correction my new thing. Looks like things have improved since my Audessy days.
DIRACLIVE2 is certainly at the head of the pack along with REW. The UMIK-1 seems to be the best LINK $75.00 microphone. Some use the DIRACLIVE2 with the MINIDSP hardware MINI DSP HARDWARE.
I have not figured out what I want to do yet.
This link is full of info and a good place to study while shelter in place. minidsp website

Not sure how much I have to add here but...
I use foobar on my local computer. I do a lot of file conversions with it. I also have a cheap 5.1 setup on this computer so that I can check out mixes quickly after the conversions and... I can enjoy the somewhat full sound while I work.
On a second computer I have JRiver. I have an HDMI over Ethernet cable set up to send the sound and video to my receiver and TV. I then do my serious multi-channel listening in that room. I was using Plex until they broke their audio player. JRiver sounds great and does everything I want. Although, when I play a band like America the images it pulls up are pretty funny; lots of "American" bands. But generally it looks and sound great.

I am studying a lot these days about room correction my new thing. Looks like things have improved since my Audessy days.
DIRACLIVE2 is certainly at the head of the pack along with REW. The UMIK-1 seems to be the best LINK $75.00 microphone. Some use the DIRACLIVE2 with the MINIDSP hardware MINI DSP HARDWARE.
I have not figured out what I want to do yet.
This link is full of info and a good place to study while shelter in place. minidsp website
UMIK-1 is what I have been looking at as well. I am familiar with REW and have used it extensively to calibrate my subwoofer with a calibrated Galaxy CM-140 SPL meter. I would prefer to leave the calibration in the digital domain and don't want to go through multiple ADC/DAC conversions, hence thus far I am not too keen on using mini DSP blocks, which require analog in. The idea of doing room corrections on the media PC itself is appealing to me. Only downside is the corrections are only valid when playing through it and don't apply to other sources.

I started out using JR River years ago but had a problem with it adding gaps between all the tracks, very annoying. Foobar always worked fine. As for artwork I haven't had any problem with Foobar. I usually edit the tags so that the artwork is embedded in the id tag for each track, I don't know it that makes a difference or not, it seems as if I don't the artwork still shows up if it's in the same folder as the music tracks. The only thing is I can't seem to get Foobar to display custom track information such as label and comments.

Back